Finally played FM '14 - first impressions

Squidman

Reaction score
My pal finally got the game this week so we spent all afternoon yesterday breaking it in. Suitably impressed so far.

So far I'm yet to notice any big changes from '13 but we only got through 5 games each (one of which saw my United drub his Liverpool 5-1 at Anfield) so it's early days

I must say the streamlined tactics interfaces are great and speed things up noticeably. The jury is still very much out for me on the much-maligned match engine. Ups and downs. They appear to have cut out the long shots and the keepers defying the odds on 1-on-1s but on the other hand penalties and own goals look to be a problem. On every Prem weekend so far there's been at least 3 own goals scored in the league and my mate has had 5 penalties already - he got three in one game at Villa Park, one of which cannoned off the post and hit the keeper for an own goal! He won 4-0, two penners, two own goals. Even the one he scored against me was a penalty and then in his next game against Chelsea he scored a penalty and then conceded an own goal!

On the whole though, no great frustrations so far, everything seems to move along smoothly and quickly and above all it was fun

Anybody's experiences differ? Any nasty surprises in store

You just had a good look at the game fair enough & im sure its updated with the lastest official patch so no real surprises. I got the game on release date & it has been unplayable since then. Iv never seen such a huge changelog for a game. A lot of those game-breaking bugs should have been addressed much sooner. Its like i payed for this game 4 full months in advance & have been playing a beta version. I was patient enough to buy FM13 after all patches last year & i think that is the way forward with this game. Im going to try the new patch now & i do expect a big improvement