defwhish

Reaction score
Think this is my 6th start to a season. Had many failures with Arsenal and one with Villa, but started again as Villa.

I used to always make my own tactics, but last two seasons I have used downloaded ones. This time around I wanted to do it the proper way and made my own tactic.

After 7 different versions, I have finally settled on something. Whilst it needs more time to bed in, my defence has very encouragingly stopped shipping goals and the CCC numbers are getting better.

I was on a run of 7 games without a win, changed tactic and got a 2-1 defeat to Arsenal which given the state of the teams morale and the difference in quality, I was delighted with the result (was at the Emirates also.)

Now, i've won 4 and drawn 1 in my last five games. Finally feel like im getting to grips with the ME.

Moral is, don't take the easy way out and blame the ME. It may have its flaws, but sufficient tweaking (takes time and effort!) will pay dividends.

Good on you, mate! Hope you finish the season in style! It does show that people need to stick with their ideas and create tactics that suits their team and their philosophy, anything else just won't make the cut!

It gives a lot better feeling doing it on your own as well!

Think this is my 6th start to a season. Had many failures with Arsenal and one with Villa, but started again as Villa.

I used to always make my own tactics, but last two seasons I have used downloaded ones. This time around I wanted to do it the proper way and made my own tactic.

After 7 different versions, I have finally settled on something. Whilst it needs more time to bed in, my defence has very encouragingly stopped shipping goals and the CCC numbers are getting better.

I was on a run of 7 games without a win, changed tactic and got a 2-1 defeat to Arsenal which given the state of the teams morale and the difference in quality, I was delighted with the result (was at the Emirates also.)

Now, i've won 4 and drawn 1 in my last five games. Finally feel like im getting to grips with the ME.

Moral is, don't take the easy way out and blame the ME. It may have its flaws, but sufficient tweaking (takes time and effort!) will pay dividends.

What tactic are you using?

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I got off to a flying start on my first save and haven't looked back since. Good to see others able to turn difficulties into success, afterall that may be even harder than just floating on the wave of it.

Good on you, mate! Hope you finish the season in style! It does show that people need to stick with their ideas and create tactics that suits their team and their philosophy, anything else just won't make the cut!

It gives a lot better feeling doing it on your own as well!

it was only some smaller tweaks aswell.

i had my fullbacks on support and my CM's as playmakers. But i pushed the full backs to wing backs and changed my CM's to BBM's on support. Michael Lumb is a great attacking full back and its brought the best out of Wellington Nem, he has more space to run at people.

And yeah, reward is greater! Used grid in FM2012, makes the game far too easy

What tactic are you using?

i was using a standard narrow 41212

DLP AF

AP

CM CM

DLP

FB BPD CD FB

GK​

now i've changed to this and upped the tempo and back line

DLF AP

AP

BBM BBM

WB DLP WB

BPD CD

SW​

That seems quite narrow. Aren't you vulnerable to flamboyant wingers, especially on counter attacks?

That seems quite narrow. Aren't you vulnerable to flamboyant wingers, especially on counter attacks?

i've found that the wing backs are wide enough to cover, and any spaces is filled by the DLP or BBM's on support.

Alright, I would just assume that with a high back line(?) and only wing backs to maintain width, you'd be vulnerable to pacy wingers. But hey, if it works!

Alright, I would just assume that with a high back line(?) and only wing backs to maintain width, you'd be vulnerable to pacy wingers. But hey, if it works!

no you are absolutely right. I find myself altering the back line frequently, 3 or 4 times in one match.

If i can see they are getting in behind i use the drop deeper shout. That seems to resolve it. If i need to squeeze the game a bit i push my defence back up or change my wing backs to auto. Also, i vary between rigid and fluid regularly. I find this helps to keep the formation dynamic, i wait out 10 minutes see how it goes and then issue instructions.

Changing the highlights from key to extended has helped me understand the tactic massively.

I found myself and adept of the 3-5-2 in this version of the game, and i see the AMC a little bit useless because the mids can do the same role, imo.

Good mids, strongs wings and pacey CBs its a must