Scoutski

Reaction score
So after 100+ Hours I've finally worked out enough about this game to be able to lead a team facing relegation through to a fairly successful season (Top-half) in BSN/S. My celebrations were short-lived as I had been ignoring the fact that my team had been losing around 20k per month the previous year (I think it said main expenditure was salaries). So when the new season started, my wage budget was literally half of the previous year... whoops.

I need to know what I need to be doing to maintain a healthy financial situation without:

- Scheduling unrealistic friendlies constantly with clubs overseas/that wouldnt play me; I will schedule friendlies with teams with reputations around mine or lower and this does help with income.
- Cheating/Replaying cup games/league games to win more money, my team will do as well as I instruct them at the time and I just move on from my losses as there's a lot more to learn that way and the celebrations are bigger when I actually do win.

I think my biggest problems were:

- Releasing too many players on free when they had pretty much no value ($0-$1k)
- Asking for an increased wage budget during the season and always staying close to that cap

So I need help, what should I be doing to maintain healthy finances looking at improving at the same time?

- Selling off my players that get good offers and replacing them with modest players?
- Keep my wage budget to a level where the club doesnt lose money?
???

Your suggestions are welcomed :) Thanks for taking the time to read this and helping me out.

A decent cup run usually works but looks like you're in the shithouse. When you do friendlies, try away instead of home and see what options it gives you because sometimes you can get some high fee payers. Your other option is too sell some of your players but it's not worth it if you get rubbish offers. Your other option is too run the financial risk and hope you get promotion and then arrange friendlies the following summer to try and put your finances back up. Whenever I manage in the lower league, I usually go into the red during the season but I manage to make up for it with friendlies in pre season. I try to keep out of it though.

Usually the friendlies against huge clubs pay off pretty quickly, but since you're being realistic...

If you trust your own management abilities, I'd say the best thing to do is to just grit your teeth and attempt a promotion push. If you get it, great, your financial worries are over. If you don't, you're even deeper in the smelly brown stuff. It's risky, but it works.

Bring in players with a resale value, I find the best players for this are actually loan signings, Those premiership players who are willing to drop down to the BSN/S or BSP rarely get contracts offered come the end of the season, This is different ofcourse if its from a parent club but still sometimes happens.

They have been on loan at your club for a season which if you've treated them well will make your club there favorite club, Once they get released you have a very good chance of bringing them in for free, The following season you can offload them for 100-500k sometimes more although rare until league 2/1 to sell for higher.

Then you just do the same again while ofcourse trying to bring in those other frees you can find, Just dont get too attached to players and you can make a tidy profit from sales each season and the quality of your side should never drop really.

Also use the youth contracts to your advantage, Get your team/subs setup and then just get youths to act as cover, Those £5 a week contracts are nothing but its much better to have 5-6 of those than one guy who never players on £80-100 a week.

I manage Elgin City and have managed to take the Clubs finances from nothing to 800k in 3 years. Ive managed to do this basicly by stayin within my wage budget and sellin (offering) most players on a free to other clubs. The best transfers i have often found come drom the youth releases from premier league clubs, you can get many trials as interest isnt high and this gives a more accurate CA and PA of the player, also the player you sign will often be t BSN level but with a PA of League 1 level meaning he will gro with the club.. it worked for me

Schedule friendlies with bigger team's reserves. When I started off with Lewes, I scheduled BSP, L2/L1/CH/PL reserve team friendlies during the summer months. Got anywhere from 1.5k - 20k per game, plus it helped fitness levels (although moral was raped once in a while). I never bother scheduling friendlies with the first team unless I have a pretty darn good chance.
Now that I've led my Lewes into League 2, I've gotten some parent clubs that help me financially. Had to fight the board for the past 4 seasons to get ANY parent/feeder club.