Southport FC

Reaction score
I am currently managing Southport FC who were a Blue Square side. I'm in the Championship now and made the playoffs in my first season. I lost 5-4 (aggregate) against Stoke mainly because my defense is really weak compared to my offense and midfield. It's very hard to find good defenders who are willing to join me. I only have a 2.5 million budget. I don't mind spending a 1.6 million on one defender but they never want to join me.

Any tips??

hmmm hard to predict what players will be championship standard during that time. Going a bit off the topic, have you tried upgrading your training facilities because then players are more likely to join you.

Have a look at Matthew Briggs, Phil Jones, and maybe Matthew Bates. As I said, it's pretty ahrd to predict who will be good. Another option is just filtering out unrealistic targets and then put Position>CB when searching for players.

Yes my facilities are currently being upgraded as well as my massive 6008 capacity stadium.
Briggs and Jones are both really good but I can't afford them. Guess I'll have to loan in two quality central defenders again.

try searching mate for CBs as Regens will be the better options

Yes my facilities are currently being upgraded as well as my massive 6008 capacity stadium.
Briggs and Jones are both really good but I can't afford them. Guess I'll have to loan in two quality central defenders again.

I always use transfer rumours section of the news in FM to come across good free players. Try using it, I got a few gems from doing so in the past. Well done on getting Southport to the championship btw.

Thanks, and it does appear that there are some solid players in the transfer rumor section.

I have tried searching for good regens and got a good DM when he was 16. He was and is an automatic starter. But he's the only one I've found.