HAMEZMACE

Reaction score
I am finding it almost impossible to find a balanced midfield, I have always played with a midfield three, in a triangle.

Typically I will set up with an anchored/defensive midfielder sitting in front of the defence, then the two central midfielders will be DLP (s) and AP (a). This system usually allows me to dominate possession but I create very little attacking chances.

If I play with an attacking triangle - I have an AP (s) playing behind a striker CF (a) but I cannot find a central pairing that is able to stop an offensive onslaught.

Is there a generally accepted way to balance the midfield?

I generally try and avoid 2 playmakers.

I always try and have One defensive midfielder like DM or Anchor, One support midfielder , either BBM or CM(s) and one attacking midfielder like an AP(A) but that's just how i like to set up.

Is there a generally accepted way to balance the midfield?
There are many ways to balance the midfield. It depends on the other roles around them too though. Generally, a Defend, Support and Attack duty split will work, but you can just as easily make a Defend, Support and Support split work.

In the DM-CM-CM triangle, you have 2 playmakers, so you need to make sure they have players to supply. It'll help if you have an idea of how you want to attack. Some sort of gameplan.

What you call an 'attacking triangle' is usually the setup in a 4-2-3-1, which usually has 2 steady (holding) midfielders.

What you call an 'attacking triangle' is usually the setup in a 4-2-3-1, which usually has 2 steady (holding) midfielders.

Thanks for the reply, to follow this up, you're right, I set the team up with two holding in midfield and the attacking point of the triangle behind the striker, I will usually play with one inside forward, and a winger, instructing the AP to roam into channels to make space for the inside forward/striker.

But I have tried different combinations for the holding midfield two without any defensive stability.

The most recent save has taken me to Tottenham manager, starting the 17/18 season, Eriksen is the AP, the options in the middle have been Alli, Bentaleb, Sven Bender, and Goertka, with their most suited roles being RPM, DLP, BWM, AP

If I play with a BWM he gets always booked within the first 15 minutes and is walking a tightrope. RPM seems to offer nothing going forward or defensively.

I have had a degree of success, usually winning 2-1, but I have only kept one clean sheet in 10 games, and want to find a way to improve the defensive side of the game.

I have my two CBs and RB set to (d) and the LB set to (s) - my LW is the inside forward, and RW is the winger.

Is there an obvious mistake?

You say this:
I set the team up with two holding in midfield and the attacking point of the triangle behind the striker,
But I have tried different combinations for the holding midfield two without any defensive stability.

But then:
The most recent save has taken me to Tottenham manager, starting the 17/18 season, Eriksen is the AP, the options in the middle have been Alli, Bentaleb, Sven Bender, and Goertka, with their most suited roles being RPM, DLP, BWM, AP

If I play with a BWM he gets always booked within the first 15 minutes and is walking a tightrope. RPM seems to offer nothing going forward or defensively.
The BWM and RPM just aren't holding roles. Nothing about them are holding roles. They shouldn't venture too far forward in possession and largely hold position when defending.

Sorry if this was confusing, I would have thought having Bender set a BWM (d) and Bentaleb DLP (d) both set with the PI of hold position that would form a solid base, and it is their preferred roles.

Am I reading too much into the preferred role of a player?

Would I be better off just playing them both as CM with one (d) and one (s)?

Sorry if this was confusing, I would have thought having Bender set a BWM (d) and Bentaleb DLP (d) both set with the PI of hold position that would form a solid base, and it is their preferred roles.

Am I reading too much into the preferred role of a player?

Would I be better off just playing them both as CM with one (d) and one (s)?
You can get away with a BWM-D next to a CM-D. As they're both reserved without the ball. The BWM will still close down heavily but will have the CM as cover too.

Btw, it isn't their preferred role. It's the assistant's opinion of how good they are in a role. It's still up to you to decide if it works for you and what you want/need.

Good to know, I've always tried to create the tactical set up to suit what I assumed was the players preferred position, not many player seem to be 'best suited' to just playing as a CM.

As you seem to be very knowledgeable about the tactical side of things, can I ask if you have ever used either RPM, or CWBs in your set ups, I like the idea of these player roles, but have never had any luck, CWBs usually leave me open to simple goals from crosses, and RPM never produce good returns. Is there a trick to making these roles work?

Good to know, I've always tried to create the tactical set up to suit what I assumed was the players preferred position, not many player seem to be 'best suited' to just playing as a CM.

As you seem to be very knowledgeable about the tactical side of things, can I ask if you have ever used either RPM, or CWBs in your set ups, I like the idea of these player roles, but have never had any luck, CWBs usually leave me open to simple goals from crosses, and RPM never produce good returns. Is there a trick to making these roles work?
That's the whole point. The tactic needs to suit the players, as long as you don't lump them all in their 'best' positions with no thought as to how the actual tactic is going to work.

I've used both before, but I don't see why that matters? CWBs are attacking, so you just need to provide cover for them. It'll depend how you use the RPM and if what you're expecting is what an RPM actually does do. It'll also depend on the roles around him.

I don't think I've ever come across a player who has CM as their 'best' or 'preferred' position, yet it seems to be the easiest way for a solid midfield foundation.

With regards to the RPM, I would generally try them in the central midfield position, along with a defensive midfielder in front of the defense (to cover the RPMs lack of defensive responsibility) and alongside either a BWM (s) or DLP (s)

I would expect a RPM to drift about the pitch looking to create chances for the forward players.

if you're using a defensive triangle, play flexible or more structured, and if you are playing an offensive triangle without a DM, play more fluid (you will need to to avoid gaps between defence and midfield). In a flexible and structured setup, DM can have a support duty, and in highly structured defend. Central mids should both have attack duties in flexible and structured setup, or support in highly structured, or defend in a fluid setup, or they should roam in a very fluid setup...

I don't think I've ever come across a player who has CM as their 'best' or 'preferred' position, yet it seems to be the easiest way for a solid midfield foundation.

With regards to the RPM, I would generally try them in the central midfield position, along with a defensive midfielder in front of the defense (to cover the RPMs lack of defensive responsibility) and alongside either a BWM (s) or DLP (s)

I would expect a RPM to drift about the pitch looking to create chances for the forward players.
Ignoring the poor (and zero explanation for it) advice above again, it depends on what you have in front of him and what "creates chances" means in practical terms. A RPM is more a Modric player, keeping everything ticking over and linking everyone. He's also fairly flexible in terms of PIs, so you can adjust if something you want to happen, isn't happening.