Fitness Levels

TeamTom

Reaction score
Just looking for a bit of advice or tips regarding fitness levels in my squad; I'm currently managing Derby, who are now entering season 2018 / 2019 and looking for their 5th successive title, how ever my squad is having major issues in regards to fitness levels in the game, normally around the 35th-40th minute the majority of the team enters the 60~% mark.

Is it worth me giving the team a few days off training every week just to ensure they keep the fitness levels as high as possible or do I need to make some changes to my training schedule?

Are you rotating your squad ?

Slow the tempo right down as well and maybe's just try to control the game?

If you're ahead, you should use the shout "take a breather"

How heavy is your training schedule? And don't start a player when he already has low fitness, aim to only start with 90%+ fitness players.

Squad is rotated pretty much on a weekly basis, only the real key players will play 2 or 3 games on a trot. I wouldn't want to slow down the tempo too much, I've built my squad around destroying teams by high goal score lines, so wouldn't like to change my tactics too much.

Training schedule is set at the high end of Medium so I wouldn't think it is THAT high...

Also, didn't think of that "take a breather" point, will defo take that forward, can see that coming in handy.

It partly works by slowing down the tempo and increasing time wasting, I think. So you will have to think about it. No harm in trying it and seeing how it goes, though.

BTW, are you playing in the EPL with Derby? Because I have noticed one thing - when, as ManU, I am playing against much weaker sides, it is normal to see their condition drop to 50-60% during the game.

Not sure what you mean there, Arun. So I will just go on what I think you mean :]

I have noticed that when I am playing one of the bigger clubs...Man Utd..Arsenal...Man City, the fitness levels are alot higher than they are when compared to playing against a Birmingham, Bolton or Blackburn. whether thats because when playing the weaker sides you have more of the ball and are taking control more when on the ball or what...

Been trying the "take a breather" touchline shout and it seems to be working a treat at the moment.

I am glad that it is working for you. I also had to use it occasionally as Portsmouth. Not so much as ManU though - I have effectively 2 first teams now :)

I am a bit surprised about the weaker teams though. Maybe it is just your tactic?There is a thread here about the touchline shouts - you can try more of them if you know enough about them.