Flags Of Our Fathers

Sean

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Plot:

In February, 1945, one of the fiercest battles of the Pacific theater of World War II occurs on the tiny island of Iwo Jima. Thousands of Marines attack the stronghold maintained by thousands of Japanese, and the slaughter on both sides is horrific. Early in the battle, an American flag is raised atop the high point, Mount Suribachi, and a photograph of the raising becomes an American cause celebre. As a powerful inspiration to war-sick Americans, the photo becomes a symbol of the Allied cause. The three surviving flag raisers, Rene Gagnon, John Bradley, and Ira Hayes, are whisked back to civilization to help raise funds for the war effort. But the accolades for heroism heaped upon the three men are at odds with their own personal realizations that thousands of real heroes lie dead on Iwo Jima, and that their own contributions to the fight are only symbolic and not deserving of the singling out they are experiencing. Each of the three must come to terms with the honors, exploitation, and grief that they face simply for being in a photograph.

---------------------------------------

I wasn't to keen on the way the film came across. It just seemed boring and I just wasn't interested. There was way too much cutting in and out of the war scenes to make them effective.

One scene I thought was done really well was when they heard some bangs and went into a cave to find out what was causing them. I wont say what it was because I don't want to spoil.

So erm I thought it was boring and definately a film I'm gonna make sure I never have to watch again. But I am still planning on watching Letters Of Iwo Jima when it gets released.

5.5/10

Mark Kermode said it was a bit meh and didnt make much sense, but might seem better once youve seen the second part of this film, which is from the Japanese's POV

Yeh it was filmed in a very confusing way, like I said it constantly flashes back to action from the war and it kinda jumps all over the place.

Just finished watching, 6/10 just

The war flashbacks were pointless, all they were was someone dying who we didnt know anything about. Also the whole thing was a flashback, so there was flashbacks within a flashback :S

The last 20-25 films redeemed the film a little.

Lets just hope Letters Of Iwo Jima is good :D

well seeing as i gave my 'review' 3 weeks ago and this thread has been dead since then, its unlikely

rofl gregor. How did that post deserve a warning for insulting members? It wasn't even an insult.