Fluid in attack, structured in defense?

FalseZero

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I feel like setting your team on fluid makes it very unorganized when defending. I like to close down more in the opponents half but want my team to just stay in shape when defending in its own half.
I was wondering if it was somehow possible to set up instructuoons in a way that the team plays fluid with a lot of movement and creativity in attack, but more structured and organized in defense?

Thanks in advance!

Solved(?)

The best Ive achived so far is closing down much less, and having all attacking players closing down much more.
If anyone has further suggestions Id gratefully hear them.

Was going to say the same. More 'Fluid' means your players will roam a bit and find space to support the teammate with the ball, so it impacts possession. Players giving options to pass to.

Without the ball, the 'Close Down' instruction moves players from their position, potentially leaving gaps that can be exploited.

Defensively, maybe a compact 'Structured' Team Instruction, with your forward players PIs set to Close Down More - also, Roles/Duties set to achieve the same - eg: a Defensive Forward or DLF is set by default to close down I believe, a DF on support will close down an opposition DM, and on Attack will close down the DCs.

Thanks!

I really wish though there was an off the ball formation and off the ball fluidity...

I know what you mean. Here's how I think of it:

Your formation is the shape when not in possession.

The off the ball 'fluidity' is controlled by the Close Down instruction - Close Down Much More is more 'fluid' than not closing down, ie: more players will leave their position in the formation in order to close down the player with the ball.

When in possession, the Fluid setting instructs the players how much to 'roam' when a teammate has the ball, leaving their positions to offer a passing option.

Tweak that with the PIs - Get Further Forward / Hold Position and you can structure your defence how you want, and how the players transition when possession is gaiined.

Obviously, if you have players playing very fluid, getting further forward, on attack duties, they will be a long way up the pitch when possession is lost and getting back into your compact structured defensive shape will take a bit longer.

Try playing a few test games with a "standard' mentality and tweak the Fluidity and PIs to see how they affect one another - concentrate on defensive structure and play around with the shouts, then, once that is sorted you can look to transition into attack better.

Obviously you can go into so much more detail than this, and there are plenty of guides around, but, if you are like me, then you want to play the game not read about it.

Klopp last week "we knew with the expansive football they play that you cannot play that way and not leave gaps, we have to exploit that space"

So I mean there probably shouldn't be an option for expressive in offense and structured in defence, because the expression in offense directly impacts upon the ability to have a structured compact defence.

That said, I totally agree with the comments made here, I've set all attackers to close down as much as possible, and also used the OI's to get zero closing down on Strikers and central AM players, so as to retain shape.

All defenders, and M and DM players are being closed down aggressively and tightly marked to get them closer to the players.

View attachment 58908