Desmond91

Reaction score
Which instructions go to edit the fluidity? "roam from position"?

No team instructions change the fluidity of your tactic if that is what you're asking.

Fluidity is about how much every player participates in each phase of the game. If playing very rigid attacking players focus on attacking and defending players on defending. Whereas a team with "very fluid" every player will look to contribute in both attack and defence.

Roam from position only makes players move from their designated position but doesn't affect their mentality.

Playing more "disciplined or expressive" determines how much players will stick with the determined tactic. If playing expressive it leaves room for players to think for themselves and differ from the tactic. That's also different from fluidity.

What exactly is the opposite? Fluidity settings doesnt affect team instructions? doesn't make a lot of sense.

What exactly is the opposite? Fluidity settings doesnt affect team instructions? doesn't make a lot of sense.

Sorry but it's hard for me to explain it in english...

I notice, for example, that the fluidity does not change anything for the team: it's not true that with "very fluid" attackers come back, they always remain high in the field.
Defenders set up with defensive duties don't move forward... defenders with attacking duties move forward( but this also happens with rigid mentality)

So what is the fluidity? I think it has no impact, everything depends on the duties of individual players ... am I wrong?

I mean, for example, team instructions "shorter passing" ,reduces the distance of the passages, so what instruction goes to affect the fluidity?

As it increases the fluidity, in the description, it says that "players are encouraged to play more flowing football with players allowed more creative freedom", this is why I think that the only thing that fluidity goes to change it's the instructions "be more expressive", am i wrong?

Sorry but it's hard for me to explain it in english...

I notice, for example, that the fluidity does not change anything for the team: it's not true that with "very fluid" attackers come back, they always remain high in the field.
Defenders set up with defensive duties don't move forward... defenders with attacking duties move forward( but this also happens with rigid mentality)

So what is the fluidity? I think it has no impact, everything depends on the duties of individual players ... am I wrong?

I mean, for example, team instructions "shorter passing" ,reduces the distance of the passages, so what instruction goes to affect the fluidity?

As it increases the fluidity, in the description, it says that "players are encouraged to play more flowing football with players allowed more creative freedom", this is why I think that the only thing that fluidity goes to change it's the instructions "be more expressive", am i wrong?

In my experience, you are wrong. There is a difference between playing flowing and fluid football (at least in fm). Flowing football with "be more expressive" allow for players to differ from your tactics. For example a winger might be more likely to cut inside like an IF if he is asked to play expressive, or a midfielder might attempt a long shot despite team and individual instructions telling him not to. It basically allows for the players to think for themselves.

Fluidity is, like I stated above, about how much players participate in different phases of the game. It does not have a drastic effect to the point where strikers will be running around the midfield trying to defend, but it does have a visible effect. If you dont believe me try to make a 4-2-3-1 formation with wingers on support and look how differently they act with rigid and fluid instructions. The 4-2-3-1 doesn't work unless you use "very fluid" instructions because otherwise your wingers do nothing defensively.

I hope that helpes you.

In my experience, you are wrong. There is a difference between playing flowing and fluid football (at least in fm). Flowing football with "be more expressive" allow for players to differ from your tactics. For example a winger might be more likely to cut inside like an IF if he is asked to play expressive, or a midfielder might attempt a long shot despite team and individual instructions telling him not to. It basically allows for the players to think for themselves.

Fluidity is, like I stated above, about how much players participate in different phases of the game. It does not have a drastic effect to the point where strikers will be running around the midfield trying to defend, but it does have a visible effect. If you dont believe me try to make a 4-2-3-1 formation with wingers on support and look how differently they act with rigid and fluid instructions. The 4-2-3-1 doesn't work unless you use "very fluid" instructions because otherwise your wingers do nothing defensively.

I hope that helpes you.

I play with 4231 counter, in this way wingers come back and defend, indifferently from fluidity.
In "Very rigid" description it says "with this approach, each player is expected TO FOCUS A SINGLE PHASE of play" nothing more false as explained.

So, I think that fluidity only affects the duties of players, for example, with wingers on support a more fluidity approach, change (but it's not visible) in wingers on attack, instead, with rigid approach, wingers on support change in defend.

However, this is not entirely correct, because strikers on attack with fluidity instruction don't come back..so strange instruction...

Like Zadic said: There is a difference between 'fluidity' and ' how individual players' act. Your winger example with very fluid is told that he needs to attack but when it's time to defend he needs to do that as well. However, the way the ME works, is that when the opposition enters the ball into the wingers 'zone' he will defend there. He will stop doing so when the player has left the area the winger is responsible for unless you set specific duties and player instructions.

The 2 are not connected in a way that your tactic will dramatically change based on rigid vs fluid.

Regarding the rest of your question/comment, I agree that the description of these settings in Football Manager is quite unclear and causes a lot of players to get confused but there is good news and bad news.

The bad news is that there is no short answer to your question

The good news is that there is an extremely long post which is an excellent write-up on this exact topic written on the SI forums I think this is mandatory reading for everyone who wants a deeper insight into this

The Mentality Ladder: A Practical Framework for Understanding Fluidity and Duty

This was not written by me so all credit goes to the original poster over there.

Last edited: