Reaction score
Crystal Palace hire unknown manager

Unknown manager Zac Brown has been handed the role after Alan Pardew stepped down earlier this week due to personal reasons. This comes as a huge shock as Brown's name isn't too familiar with anyone in the footballing world, and his first job is to carry on the great work as the previously mentioned Alan Pardew & Tony Pulis. We have the script from his first press conference

"Many people think that Crystal Palace's wage budget is simply too small to bring in the high quality players needed to improve the team. Are you going to approach your chairman Steve Parish and ask him to increase the wage budget?" - Chris Shephard (London Evening Standard)

"The budget has been set at its current level for good reasons and I don't think it would be helpful to demand more right now"

"Do you feel the expectations asked of you this season have been fair and realistic?" - Vince Owens (Prensa Libre)

"I'm very happy with the direction we are going in. Everyone at this club wants to be the best they can be, nobody more so than me"

"What was it about this job in particular that appealed to you?" - Chris O'Grady (The Guardian)

"This is a supremely ambitious club with the requisite tools in place to be very successful"

"New managers often bring about times of upheaval and some at the club might fear for their jobs. Will there be many changes?" - Tom Kearns (BBC London 94.9)

"I don't think there's much point in discussing changes in this point in time"

"While some managers are famous for their hands-on approach, others maintain a more reserved manner with their players. How do you see your management style?" - Garry Richardson (The South London Press)

"I think things work best when players feel valued as people as well as footballers"

"The last couple of seasons have been fairly forgettable ones for Crystal Palace. Are you able to inject the spark required to lift Crystal Palace out of mid-table mediocrity?" - Chris Shephard (London Evening Standard)

"Due to the stupidity and ridiculousness of that question, I am not going to answer it!"

It is often said that managers favour different competitions. Will you be concentrating primarily on getting results in the Premier Division?" - Chris O'Grady (The Guardian)

"The League has to be my priority. That's what the fans want"

The press conference then ends as the allotted time is up

In summary, it was a very confident presentation from a man who I think will have won over some Eagles fans with that conference, possibly even some neutrals.

Last edited:
Pre-Season Recap

Introduction
I decided to skip right till the start of the season because everything that went on in pre-season I felt I could recap in one big post, as I am doing now. All in all I felt pre-season went well, made the signings I wanted to, with potentially a couple more on the way and the friendlies were mostly positive, but went a bit inconsistent at the end, but we did play some harder teams, so I guess I've got nothing to complain about.

Friendlies

View attachment 224717

As you can see, goalscoring isn't a problem and goals from all areas. We shipped in a bit too many goals towards the end though for my liking, we won't always be able to play the football I want to play with this team up front so we need to make ourselves hard to beat. On the plus side we had goals come from multiple sources with Wilfried Zaha (7), Yannick Bolasie (5), Patrick Bamford, Fraizer Campbell & Bakary Sako (2), and multiple others, including a few defenders with 1.

Transfers

View attachment 224715

As I previously stated, I needed to improve the defence, and with that I made 2 signings, the 1st one I made was left back Massadio Haidara. I only had one natural left back in Papa Soure and I needed someone to challenge, Joel Ward, can play there, but he's the best RB at the club, and I hate playing full backs on their opposite side, with wingers it's one thing but full back's... Ewww. I'm still undecided who will be my first choice, Haidara has 5 STAR POTENTIAL! But Soure has a better current ability and has experience at a higher level, so we'll wait and see. My other signing was Jeffrey Bruma from PSV. I have quite an ageing defence so I felt I needed a younger option in there and Bruma fit the bill, he's young, got good current & potential ability, also adds to my homegrown players due to being at Chelsea in his youth.

The outgoings I feel is where I made my best moves, getting £6.25 million for Joe Ledley was great business, I liked him but we already had enough quality CM's so I couldn't guarantee him enough football, and Bournemouth we're interested and we're willing to meet his value, so why not? Marouane Chamakh to Swansea for £4.5 Million is great business, ****, getting anything over a 15 minute bus journey's worth is great business for Chamakh, glad to be rid of him and have him off of the wage bill. Dwight Gayle to Aston Villa was my only slightly regrettable one, but the fact I was only going to playing one up front, and for a player who's only redeemable feature, although being a great one, was being a good finisher, I thought best cash in on him now, and with a good price, can't go wrong. Adrian Mariappa also left on a free to Bournemouth, with Bruma coming in and with wanting to reduce the age of my defence was happy to let him go for nothing.

Tactic

View attachment 224714
View attachment 224713
View attachment 224712

I tried to take inspiration from Palace in real life, and that is mainly having the pace to hurt teams with players like Bolasie, Zaha, Puncheon, Sako, ETC. With a brilliant passer in Yohan Cabaye behind all this talent, is what I think is really going to bring success to this team, my only real issue is in attack, I've debated bringing in another striker but with Wickham and Bamford having decent current ability but really good potential ability I decided against it, I may change my mind before the transfer deadline. One problem that pre-season has left me with, is couple of high profile injuries, Bamford, Cabaye & Hangeland are out until September & Zaha is also out until October/November.

The First Month

View attachment 224711

I'm personally happy with that could be worse, could be better, but we can get off to a great start with that. Everton could prove tricky, and you never can predict Newcastle. West Brom are a good defensive team but I feel we just have the edge with our pace and flair. We have also been drawn away at Brighton in the Capitol One Cup, which personally I am confident of winning. My approach to the cups this season will be one of, if we get far than great, but if not, then that means I concentrate more on the league which is my priority.

Last edited:
Some great business in the transfer market mate, i like the fact you haven't tried to change the team to much in the first window, or gone straight for the young wonderkids (balanta etc)
I think it might be worth looking at signing someone on loan to cover the striking position, unless you sign someone permanant, jordan rhodes usually does very well in pl on saves ive had.
But good luck and ill be following.

Season 1 - August

Results

Premier League, Monday 18th August 2014

Crystal Palace1-0West Bromwich Albion
Dann (77)

Well, an ugly win is an ugly win. To tell the truth, West Brom probably could have & should have probably gotten more out of the game, but if you don't score you won't win. We knicked it with a scrappy set piece, can't complain though. Onwards & upwards.

Premier League, Saturday 23rd August 2014
Everton3-0Crystal Palace
Lukaku (3 & 21)
Mirallas (30)

This was my first taste of how brutal this league can be. Everton were a lot better than I gave them credit for, we just couldn't handle Lukaku's physicality, it was a definite learning experience for me, and the team.

JORES OKORE SIGNS!!!

View attachment 224225

I am delighted to announce that we have bolstered our defence with the signing of Aston Villa centre back, Jores Okore. I felt that his strength and size gave us some stability that we didn't have, he also smashed our transfer record as I spent £10 million bringing him, Damien Delaney was also realised after he complained about the number of CB's at the club, and when I couldn't assure him of a first time place, he wanted to leave, and with Okore signing he was pushed further down the picking list.

Capitol One Cup 2nd Round, Tuesday 26th August 2014
Brighton & Hove Albion0-1Crystal Palace

Campbell (77 pen)

This was tougher than I expected. Brighton proved a lot tougher than I expected, they defended really well and gave us no time or space to get our game going, was happy to win, even if it did take a penalty. We've drawn Reading in the next round at home, hopefully that will be a more comfortable game for us.

Premier League, Saturday 30th August 2014
Crystal Palace2-0Newcastle United
Sako (74)
Cabaye (88)

This was easily our best performance of the month, we could have and should have had more goals to show for it, the Toon gave is no challenge what so ever. Sako and Haidara were amazing down our left hand side and caused them problems all day. Cabaye getting a goal off of the bench on his Prem debut against his club as well, caps a great day for the team.

Premier League Table

View attachment 224224

Not much to say at this point, only 3 games in. There are tougher tasks ahead so I'll be more concerned about where we are exactly much later.

Player Of The Month

View attachment 224223
There wasn't really a stand out player for the month but Dann isn't that type of player, he's reliable and never puts a foot wrong, he's a real reliable sort, and I am happy to have him at the heart of the defence.

Summary
All in all, can't complain at how the first month has gone, went pretty much as expected. Apart from the first half hour against Everton we've showed great resiliency. I feel the centre back pairing of Scott Dann & Jores Okore will be a big factor in where we finish. My own big decision was whether to buy a striker or not, Wickham & Campbell have dissapointed me a bit with 1 goal between them and even that being from the penalty spot. I don't know why but I am pinning a lot of my hopes on Patrick Bamford when he comes back from injury and if that doesn't work out then I will go all out in January for a striker, but fingers crossed it doesn't come to that.

Last edited:
Some great business in the transfer market mate, i like the fact you haven't tried to change the team to much in the first window, or gone straight for the young wonderkids (balanta etc)
I think it might be worth looking at signing someone on loan to cover the striking position, unless you sign someone permanant, jordan rhodes usually does very well in pl on saves ive had.
But good luck and ill be following.

Thank you very much for the kind words, I greatly appreciate it. I usually don't like to go for the typical FM signing (like Balanta, ETC) as I feel like it's not fun going for the same players everytime, but I don't mind people that do. To each their own.

Really looking forward to seeing how you do with Palace, one of the teams I enjoy watching most in real life.

Really looking forward to seeing how you do with Palace, one of the teams I enjoy watching most in real life.

Thank you. That was the main reason for picking them, but the problem I have found in my time playing Football Manager is that real life doesn't always translate well on the game, but they still have a good team on the game, and have enjoyed using it.

Season 1 - September

Results

Premier League, Saturday 13th September 2014
Leicester City1-2Crystal Palace
Mahrez (5)Campbell (76)
Bamford (89)

This game is precisely what the Prem is about, excitement. We were the worse team for most of the game I then bought Bamford on with 20 mins to go he sets up Campbell for his goal then with a minute to go latches onto a Mile Jedinak clearance to win the game for us, utter magic.

Premier League, 20th September 2014
Crystal Palace2-0Watford
Jedinak (9 pen)
Campbell (54)

This was comfortable if unspectacular, we were always in control cause Watford never posed a threat we were always in control, I wish we could kill these games off quicker and with more ease. We seem to have a problem on the goal front, but Bamford has still got to regain full fitness, still have Zaha to come back in as well.

Capitol One Cup 3rd Round, Tuesday 23rd September 2014
Crystal Palace2-1Reading
Mutch (31)
Hangeland (45 +2)

Hyam (88)
I was happy with this, we played a second string side here and again, like all our other games couldn't finish them off. If we could of won some of these with at least one more goal I'd feel confident, maybe I'm just expecting too much. We've also drawn Arsenal at home in the next round, days after we also play them in the league. I think it goes without saying that it won't be an easy Halloween.

Premier League, Saturday 27th September 2014
Swansea City3-1Crystal Palace
Gomis (37)
Sigurdsson (45 + 2)
Ayew (47)

Kelly (75)
Another tough away game, to take nothing away from it, they were just too fast and strong for us. We weren't without our chances, but all in all it was probably the right result. Kelly popped up with a bizzare goal to get something out of the game, but it was too little too late.

Premier League Table

View attachment 224153

I'm quite happy with the position we are in, it's still early so it's all quite in there but a win could put as at the top. Not that I think we are ready for a title challenge, but I'm happy with our position, I still think there is more to come.

Player Of The Month

View attachment 224152

My player of the month award once again, goes to Scott Dann, he has been so solid, him and Okore have been very solid, they give us great protection, and Dann is the standout defender, Okore, Kelly & Haidara are young and still prone to errors and inconsistencies, but Dann is the glue that holds that defence together, I doubt this will be his last award.

Summary
A pretty decent month with a lot of wins, and encouraging signs, but there is still some work needed. Bamford hasn't been fit to play every game this month and has appeared in spells, Campbell comes up with the odd goal, and Wickham has been nothing but poor, with no goals and 1 assist in 6 games, not good enough. We need to get our attacking rhythm to click at some point because we have such a tough month ahead of us in October with Stoke, Man City and then 2 Arsenal games back to back. We will need to fight for point next month.

Last edited:
Season 1 - October

Results

Premier League, Saturday 4th October 2014
Crystal Palace1-1Stoke City
Bamford (3)
Wilson (85)

It is always disappointing to concede late, but to get a point against Stoke is no easy task. I got encouraged when we took the lead through Bamford early on, but an absolute worldy of a Marc Wilson free kick (Of all people to take free kicks) snatched a point, not too disappointed but probably deserved a win.

Premier League, Saturday 18th October 2014
Manchester City3-2Crystal Palace
Bony (10 & 79)
McCarthy (86 o.g)

Bolasie (45 + 2 & 53)

As a neutral this would have been a good game, to me, this was really frustrating. So frustrating that I had to close my laptop and leave the room. We were really good, and Bolasie's 2nd was an absolute beaut. Bony bullied our defence for the goals, and the winner rebounded of McCarthy's back, so close to an upset win, GOD DAM IT.

Premier League, Saturday 25th October 2014
Crystal Palace6-2Arsenal
Bamford (4, 12 & 90 pen)
Puncheon (31)
Bolasie (40)
Zaha (78)

Cazorla (43)
Giroud (90 + 1)

I don't know what I can add, there is only one word to describe it, it's unbelievable. The faith I put in Bamford to be the man is paying off. He was simply clinical, then goals and assist coming from the 3 behind him, Arsenal couldn't handle it, I changed the team instructions before the game with the purpose of creating more and boy did it work. Special mention should also go to Jordan Mutch, he was the puppeteer behind our attack force, just pulling the strings and making everything look so easy. Highlight of the season so far, can't think of anything that'll top it either.

Capitol One Cup 4th Round, Tuesday 28th October 2014
Crystal Palace2-1Arsenal
Jedinak (16 pen)
Campbell (75)

Welbeck (21)

Well, 2 wins over Arsene Wenger's Arsenal in the space of 3 days, what can go wrong? They posed us a bit more problems this game, to be fair. Bamford & Zaha played no part due to fitness, but who steps in? Fraizer Campbell. He complained to me in the week about not being selected enough and I simply told him, "earn your place" and I think he did more than that with a goal and an assist to book our place into the quarter-finals, could there be a trophy in the cabinet by the end of the season?

Premier League Table

View attachment 224023

7th again after what was a real hard month with Stoke, Man City & Arsenal is nothing to complain about, we had to battle for the points we got this month and we've earned them. The table is starting to split now and if we can stay in that upper third of teams, that would be more than respectable.

Player Of The Month

View attachment 224022

Who else could it go to? I put a lot of faith in Bamford, maybe a bit too much, considering his age and the fact that he's not actually our player, but he is more than repaying it. 4 goals in 3 games is nothing short of amazing including a hat trick against Arsenal, whether he can keep it up for a full season remains to be seen, but for now he has that killer instinct that we were lacking before. Would love to sign him permanently, how possible that is? We'll just have to see.

Summary

My prediction of how this month would go was so, so wrong. I would've been happy with the point against Stoke, but to more than hold our own at the Etihad and beat Arsenal twice in the same week is amazing. I said at the start I wasn't overly fussed about the cups, but I feel like it's more than a possibility now, if we can beat Arsenal there is no reason we can't at least challenge anyone else, we'll have to see who we draw in the quarter's.

Last edited:
Season 1 - November

Results & Incidents

Premier League, Saturday 1st November 2014
Aston Villa3-2Crystal Palace
Sinclair (44 pen)
Gayle (63)
Russell (90 +2)

Bamford (40)
Bolasie (77)

Well, of the back of the last couple results this is quite a disappointment, we came back twice and really showed some fight but they knicked it right at the end, we should have gotten something out of this, and with the fixtures we have this month, not happy

Bamford Injured

View attachment 223933

Well, this is a blow & just my luck on this game. After scoring 6 in 6 prem games he gets injured until about February/March. We now have to rely on Campbell & Wickham so a striker may be needed come January.

Premier League, Sunday 9th November 2014
Crystal Palace1-4Liverpool
Campbell (83)Milner (21)
Benteke (31 & 44)
Hangeland (50 o.g)

We lost this game early on to be honest. We were second all over the pitch in attack they bullied us with Benteke. For whatever reason I left Okore out of this game, he could've been useful against Benteke cause of his size & strength but I don't think it would have made a big difference to be honest, handed a start to young Jonny William and he was our best player, definitely has given me something to think about going forward.

Premier League, Monday 24th November 2014
Sunderland0-4Crystal Palace
Dann (15)
Campbell (48)
Sako (67 pen)
Williams (73)

This was more like it, this felt like a massive relief. Sunderland are bottom of the league and after this it isn't hard to see why. They never posed us a threat in the slightest, and we were all over him. I like the fact the goals came from all over the pitch, Dann once again proving his worth to them and young Jonny Williams carrying on his great form and getting on the score sheet as well.

Brown Signs a New Deal!

View attachment 223932

I am delighted to announce that Crystal Palace have offered me a new 2 year £40,000 grand a week contract. After a bright start to the campaign in both the league & Capitol One Cup the board have decided to renew my contract which was due to expire at the end of the season. I am happy that the board has put faith in me and I look forward to repaying that.

Premier League, Saturday 29th November 2014
Crystal Palace2-3Chelsea
Sako (11)
Campbell (26)

Remy (52)
Hazard (54 & 71)

God this sucked. At half time I was buzzing, at full time I was furious. We had Chelsea first half, we had a game plan and were executing it to perfection. We then got complacent and when you get complacent against Eden Hazard, you will be punished. If there is one plus is that Campbell seems to have filled the goalscoring boots of Bamford, for whatever reason I just don't really like Campbell, but he's doing the business now and he's definately a better choice than Connor Wickham.

Williams Wins An Award!

View attachment 223930

This has been thoroughly deserved, I put him in against Liverpool which is obviously a big game and he has showed that he can more than hang with the big boys. He has more than deserved this award and I cannot wait to see how he progresses.

Premier League Table

View attachment 223928

Well it's a bit of a drop, but after the month we had that was to be expected. The win against Sunderland saved us some positions but we need to do better and next month is the busiest month of the season and we have a pretty decent run of games as well as the Capitol One Cup QF against Newcastle United. A couple wins could see us rise and if we can get at least 12 points next month, I will feel a lot more confident going forward.

Player Of The Month

View attachment 223927

Who else could I give it to? Williams has had an incredible month, has has had to wait for his chance and be patient but he has definately made the most of it. With a young player of the month award under his belt, he has definitely made a case to hold down that CAM position for a long time.

Summary
A pretty disappointing month with all things considered but there are encouraging signs, I'm not sure we continue to give away goals, especially so late in games, we were defending a lot better earlier in the season. But as I previously said, next month is an important month and we have a great opportunity to push on in both the league & cup.