Shauny

Reaction score
To quote the legendary Mike Bassett - this is very much a classic "Four-four-****ing-two!"

First off, i would like to say i take absolutely no credit for this tactic whatsoever, but it is a very basic tactic which was created using the wizard by a guy called Darren Smith over at footballmanagerstory.com.

I found this tactic when doing a browse through many FM fansites as i was becoming a bit tired of my own tactics failing.

Personally, i dont like the tactics you often get uploaded. The ones by Mr Hough, el_magico and a few others, there just not for me really as (IMO) they take advantage of flaws in the ME and the football it produces just isnt 'real'. For example, when i look at the player instructions, you just wouldnt get a player in real life setting out to play in that way so for me on a personal point of view it isnt for me. Not a rant there either, everyone has there own way of playing the game and i want mine to be as realistic as possible.

Now this Stoke tactic is exactly what you would expect. You need physically strong players, wide men with pace, a good strong target man and a poacher who can finish and is also quick off the mark to get on the end of the target man flick ons. This isnt a rule of thumb however, if you go on the link i will provide you will see yourself the creater has his own ideas. I have just finished my first season using it with Wolves and came a very modest 8th and reaching the final of the FA Cup. A good feat considering the squad isnt the strongest and i am now looking to build on that in my next season.

If you want realistic, direct, counter attacking football based on the Stoke style then this is for you. Also, dont let the Stoke tag put you off, firstly - they have done superb in the last 4 years and secondly i think the football this produces, or at least has for me has been brilliant. If you like old fashioned wing play it is certainly for you, it reminds me very much of Martin O'Neill's tactics for Aston Villa.

Here is a link to the page of the blog which was created originally:

http://www.footballmanagerstory.com...2-tactics-emulating-stokes-rough-and-tumble//

Here is a direct link to the download:

Stoke 4-4-2 (Stoke, Nov 2011).tac

Shame nobody wants to play like Stoke lol! If I manage them I'll give it a go :)

I would give it a go but i'm currently 4th with Stoke in January with the original squad.

Well, i started a new game with Wolves last night, no signings and on Boxing day i am sat 2nd. Yes, 2nd!! I cant recommend this tactic enough, i am having some unbelievable success with this on the second save knowing exactly who to play and where. The simplisty of the tactic just gets the best out of the players. I cant stress how much this needs to be tested with other sides.

Some of the top results include
beating Arsenal 4-0
drawing Tottenham 1-1 (Away)
beating Chelsea 3-2 (Away)
beating Liverpool 2-1 (Away)
beating Bolton 5-0 (Away)
beating Swansea 5-1 (Away)
beating Fulham 4-0 (Away)

Will definitely try it out with a lower league:)

Well, i started a new game with Wolves last night, no signings and on Boxing day i am sat 2nd. Yes, 2nd!! I cant recommend this tactic enough, i am having some unbelievable success with this on the second save knowing exactly who to play and where. The simplisty of the tactic just gets the best out of the players. I cant stress how much this needs to be tested with other sides.

Some of the top results include
beating Arsenal 4-0
drawing Tottenham 1-1 (Away)
beating Chelsea 3-2 (Away)
beating Liverpool 2-1 (Away)
beating Bolton 5-0 (Away)
beating Swansea 5-1 (Away)
beating Fulham 4-0 (Away)

It seems that this tactic works best at away games because of the counter attack. Might give it a try at some away and tough games.