FM 13 TACTICAL CHALLENGE THREAD - Who is the best Football Manager out there?

• Thread starter Thread starter veez
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 12K
My update

ok, just plugged it in for my next game, which is against Hull City, not the greatest opposition in the world.

changed many, many things, but tried to keep a similar approach you had, its a quick passing, quick moving attacking tactic that allows the opposition to come into your half then boom, get closed down like crazy and win the ball back, launching it out wide for your wingers to run at the defence and cut inside running at their defence which also draws defenders to track them and allows pace for the striker to tap the ball in, which happened on quite a few occasions in the match..

I am off home now, but will continue to work on it tomorrow, next game up is Malaga away

View attachment 287830

Team setup/instructions:

View attachment 287829

having the central mid dropping back is like the Pirlo role, it provides cover for the defence but controls the game (you can make playmaker if you like,however on counter tactics, setting a playmaker may slow down the attack as the ball carrier looks to give the ball to this player,so not advisable)

the two CM's are all rounded mids which provide a good covering to help overload the midfield so depending on what formation you play, you will most likely win the midfield battle..

View attachment 287826

The wingers have been asked to run with the ball and look for space and once the ball is played to them, attack the back four!

View attachment 287827

Long shots do not have to be toned down to never on this years version, allowing the player to take the shot if the option is there is a great tool in your squads arsenal!

looks good mate! very good! can you PM me the tac so i can give it a go please? my next match is away to man city for CL, so i need a counter tactic desperately lol

looks good mate! very good! can you PM me the tac so i can give it a go please? my next match is away to man city for CL, so i need a counter tactic desperately lol

just sent you a PM :)

good luck, as I said, cannot promise it will work, ****, not even the best tactic promises a win on the day on Fm13 :) but let me know how it goes, hope you kick Cities *** ;)

These are my latest results with this tactic (Classic 4231 by Veez):

i'm top of the table by 13 points - most goals scored and least conceeded

View attachment 287832View attachment 287833View attachment 287834View attachment 287835View attachment 287836View attachment 287837View attachment 287838View attachment 287839View attachment 287843

i currently put this save on hold, and am doing a test save with another team trying to find the right counter-attack tactic to use for the rest of the season to see if i can bag the PL and the CL!

Last edited:

good luck, as I said, cannot promise it will work, ****, not even the best tactic promises a win on the day on Fm13 :) but let me know how it goes, hope you kick Cities *** ;)

hehehe thanks mate! will let you know how it goes! i'm gonna plug it into my alternative save first just to make sure :P

It looks like a perfect fit for my squad!

Last edited:
These are my latest results with this tactic:

i'm top of the table by 13 points - most goals scored and least conceeded

View attachment 287832View attachment 287833View attachment 287834View attachment 287835View attachment 287836View attachment 287837View attachment 287838View attachment 287839View attachment 287843

i currently put this save on hold, and am doing a test save with another team trying to find the right counter-attack tactic to use for the rest of the season to see if i can bag the PL and the CL!

Which tactic that?

its not luck. obviously there are many variables in the game, such as player morale, team talks etc; it is harder to find out what isnt working when things are going wrong if you dont have an understanding of what to do and when to do it. so if you dont, you need to research and find out what the right thing to do in these cases is. when you know that your team morale is high, and that your team talks are appropriate you can narrow things down. is it my tactics? do i have the right payers for these tactics? should i have played these tactics against this opponent? did my team make costly mistakes or was i just outplayed? you're right when you say that this game has a lot ging on, but it has so much going on, and you can now affect so many aspects of it that it will never come down to luck in the long run. obviously everyone loses or wins a lucky game here and there. but in the long run, if you are doing the right things, the game will reward you. thats the whole point of it! obviously there are many new things to it this year, but they've been doing this for more than a decade now, trust them! i do :) if you think the game is too overwhelming for you right now, try FMC, less variables to control, you can concentrate more on your squad and tactic. when you've got that down, take the next step! thats the best advice i can give you mate. hope i've helped out.

I have played fm for around 6-7 years and have always created my own tactics and has sucess. The thing is my save is going really well im top of the league with forest in the championship first season my record is pld 20 W 16 D 3 L1 scoring 60 conceding 28 however i have only kept a clean sheet in 4 games and the opposition usually create 1-5 clear cut chances against me per game. Usually it is around 2 or 3 but i wanted to tighten up and try to stop these chances being created if i get promoted as better players would start finishing these chances.
Thats why i have started testing things out and playing games a few times to try to solve the problem but i just dont understand what works and doesnt because when all variables that can change your teams performance are the same and results are completely different its hard to understand what is going on in the game.
I agree that if you do the right things in the game things will be more in your favour but to me at the moment a lot comes down to luck and it has taken the enjoyment out of my save for me because i dont feel like i am in control of my success or failure for a result against any team.

I have played fm for around 6-7 years and have always created my own tactics and has sucess. The thing is my save is going really well im top of the league with forest in the championship first season my record is pld 20 W 16 D 3 L1 scoring 60 conceding 28 however i have only kept a clean sheet in 4 games and the opposition usually create 1-5 clear cut chances against me per game. Usually it is around 2 or 3 but i wanted to tighten up and try to stop these chances being created if i get promoted as better players would start finishing these chances.
Thats why i have started testing things out and playing games a few times to try to solve the problem but i just dont understand what works and doesnt because when all variables that can change your teams performance are the same and results are completely different its hard to understand what is going on in the game.
I agree that if you do the right things in the game things will be more in your favour but to me at the moment a lot comes down to luck and it has taken the enjoyment out of my save for me because i dont feel like i am in control of my success or failure for a result against any team.

i understand what you're saying. i had the same issue with my previous tactic after the new patch came out. i was trying various tweaks and none of them seemed to make a difference for the best. so i took a few steps back, and created something new, using the bits and pieces that i found out worked from my past experiences. i've found that the best way to build a tactic in fm13 is from the back. get a real solid defense first, evenif your full backs never go past midfield and build from there. when you can go a coupple of games withought conceeding, even if you dont score, then you can concentrate on improving your offense. at least thats the way i do it. no point in scoring 5 goals if youre gonna concede 6.

this tactic and this thread here for example. im at work now, so i cant play, but i've been sketching some formations and possible ideas to make this counter tactic work. the most plausible one for me until now has been taking one of my AM's and sticking him in the middle of defense, playing a 5 man d-line. its unusual but it will probably be effective. i will score less, but will propably concede less too. now that i concede less, lets rearange my offense to score a few more goals! make sense?

i understand what you're saying. i had the same issue with my previous tactic after the new patch came out. i was trying various tweaks and none of them seemed to make a difference for the best. so i took a few steps back, and created something new, using the bits and pieces that i found out worked from my past experiences. i've found that the best way to build a tactic in fm13 is from the back. get a real solid defense first, evenif your full backs never go past midfield and build from there. when you can go a coupple of games withought conceeding, even if you dont score, then you can concentrate on improving your offense. at least thats the way i do it. no point in scoring 5 goals if youre gonna concede 6.

this tactic and this thread here for example. im at work now, so i cant play, but i've been sketching some formations and possible ideas to make this counter tactic work. the most plausible one for me until now has been taking one of my AM's and sticking him in the middle of defense, playing a 5 man d-line. its unusual but it will probably be effective. i will score less, but will propably concede less too. now that i concede less, lets rearange my offense to score a few more goals! make sense?

The approach you have just described is pretty much what i have done i thought i had tweaker my tactic to tighten up and had a few clean sheets but then started what seemed to be a compulsary goal for the ai every game again. I then thought i would play my next game 5 times to see what would happen and was left completely confused and left thinking the game has a huge slice of luck involved.
I lost 5-3 won 3-0 ,3-2, 5-1, 2-1 All the games had different scorers and different amount of chances created roughly the same amount of possesion but very mixed results. Up until half time i would expect the games to be similar as the the team talk match prep press conference ect are all the same but each game is completely different so how are you supposed to know what works and doesnt. If i had played the game where i won 3-0 first and didn't play the game again i would of believed the problem was solved however if i played the game that i lost 5-3 i would have thought the defence was shocking and would have changed a tactic that i believed could keep clean sheets as proved if u understand what i mean?

Every time in the game when i was infront and it said the opposition changed to be more attacking i responded in the same way by dropping team to counter and if losing changed nothing but each game was different after i did this shown by the results so how am i meant to understand what i working? I understand that when the game gets to half time ai team talk and all player morale will be different as the scorline was always different so they would react in a different way i would hope and that would make the second half completely different. But surely when that we are given to control our team are the same the game should be similar but it really isnt.

I mean if u talk to a player about his form and he responds well and he bags a hat trick within the first 20 minutes of the next game you would think the talk and tone works well for that player and would use it for them again. However i have tried this and played the same game over and the player has scored a first half hat trick and other times gets an average rating and should be subbed. If this happened you would believe the talk failed and wouldnt you it again for that player when it does work.
This is why i believe there is a big element of chance and luck in the game and it is a bit of a lottery that you can push in your favour but you dont have 100% control winning or losing.

The approach you have just described is pretty much what i have done i thought i had tweaker my tactic to tighten up and had a few clean sheets but then started what seemed to be a compulsary goal for the ai every game again. I then thought i would play my next game 5 times to see what would happen and was left completely confused and left thinking the game has a huge slice of luck involved.
I lost 5-3 won 3-0 ,3-2, 5-1, 2-1 All the games had different scorers and different amount of chances created roughly the same amount of possesion but very mixed results. Up until half time i would expect the games to be similar as the the team talk match prep press conference ect are all the same but each game is completely different so how are you supposed to know what works and doesnt. If i had played the game where i won 3-0 first and didn't play the game again i would of believed the problem was solved however if i played the game that i lost 5-3 i would have thought the defence was shocking and would have changed a tactic that i believed could keep clean sheets as proved if u understand what i mean?

Every time in the game when i was infront and it said the opposition changed to be more attacking i responded in the same way by dropping team to counter and if losing changed nothing but each game was different after i did this shown by the results so how am i meant to understand what i working? I understand that when the game gets to half time ai team talk and all player morale will be different as the scorline was always different so they would react in a different way i would hope and that would make the second half completely different. But surely when that we are given to control our team are the same the game should be similar but it really isnt.

I mean if u talk to a player about his form and he responds well and he bags a hat trick within the first 20 minutes of the next game you would think the talk and tone works well for that player and would use it for them again. However i have tried this and played the same game over and the player has scored a first half hat trick and other times gets an average rating and should be subbed. If this happened you would believe the talk failed and wouldnt you it again for that player when it does work.
This is why i believe there is a big element of chance and luck in the game and it is a bit of a lottery that you can push in your favour but you dont have 100% control winning or losing.

i see what you mean and obviously this can be quite frustrating. if you look at them, the games werent that different. you conceded and scored in all except one. you lost one and won 4, scored two goals or more in all games except one, conceeded more than one goal twice. if you look at it this way, the disparity isnt that big. how were the results at half time? that will give you better insight, because just like you said, ai mentalities and motivation will change according to the result at half time. did the opposition always use the same tactic? did they always change to the same tactic when winning or losing?

you will never have 100% control over winning or losing, othersiwe the game is not fun. that element of surprise and not knowing if you're going to be champion or avoid relegation has to exist. all you can do is try and control the variables as best you can. if you think you've grasped that, than its all about the tactics. your tactics and opponent tactics. Just because a tactic is relatively solid doesnt mean it will perform the same in two different matches, or in the same match if you run it twice. because of other variables, such as player decisions. a player has 15 decisions and 15 pass - so he will make the right decision and make the right pass 3/4 of the time. If in one game he made 200 passes, the game and his performance will have had one outcome. if inanother he had 180 passes the game and hisperformance will probably have a completely different outcome. you cant expect hi to make those 200 passes every match if you re-run the same game. and you cant expect him to make the same decisions every game. now multiply this by 22 players. how can a game ever be the same? it simply cant.

in terms of the disparity of the results. some players and certain tactics have vulnerabilities. sometimes they are exploited and sometimes they arent. it is up to the decisions made by the players on the pitch if they are or are not exploited. if the players dont always make the same decisions in re-runs of games, sometimes the same weaknesses explited in some games will not be in others. if teams have blatent weaknesses, then yes, you will see them making the same mistakes and leaving the same gaps in between their lines. if teams are more consistent, then these gaps wont occur so often. otherwise a player with 10 bravery would never ever get stuck into a tackle and just let his opponent get through. no, he'l get through half of the time, and that will only be a goal chance if the player behind him with 15 tackling is on his 2/4 or 3/4 tackle, get what i mean? its too complex to try to understand completely, there are too many variables, so obviously results cant be the same, and flukes will happen, such as that 5-3 result you had. just need to accept it and move on. you need to find what it is in the game that keeps you motivated, instead of finding what ****** you off and keep doing it over and over again :P no good will come of it!! and eventually you'll stop playing this beautiful game (big no no!) :)

i see what you mean and obviously this can be quite frustrating. if you look at them, the games werent that different. you conceded and scored in all except one. you lost one and won 4, scored two goals or more in all games except one, conceeded more than one goal twice. if you look at it this way, the disparity isnt that big. how were the results at half time? that will give you better insight, because just like you said, ai mentalities and motivation will change according to the result at half time. did the opposition always use the same tactic? did they always change to the same tactic when winning or losing?

you will never have 100% control over winning or losing, othersiwe the game is not fun. that element of surprise and not knowing if you're going to be champion or avoid relegation has to exist. all you can do is try and control the variables as best you can. if you think you've grasped that, than its all about the tactics. your tactics and opponent tactics. Just because a tactic is relatively solid doesnt mean it will perform the same in two different matches, or in the same match if you run it twice. because of other variables, such as player decisions. a player has 15 decisions and 15 pass - so he will make the right decision and make the right pass 3/4 of the time. If in one game he made 200 passes, the game and his performance will have had one outcome. if inanother he had 180 passes the game and hisperformance will probably have a completely different outcome. you cant expect hi to make those 200 passes every match if you re-run the same game. and you cant expect him to make the same decisions every game. now multiply this by 22 players. how can a game ever be the same? it simply cant.

in terms of the disparity of the results. some players and certain tactics have vulnerabilities. sometimes they are exploited and sometimes they arent. it is up to the decisions made by the players on the pitch if they are or are not exploited. if the players dont always make the same decisions in re-runs of games, sometimes the same weaknesses explited in some games will not be in others. if teams have blatent weaknesses, then yes, you will see them making the same mistakes and leaving the same gaps in between their lines. if teams are more consistent, then these gaps wont occur so often. otherwise a player with 10 bravery would never ever get stuck into a tackle and just let his opponent get through. no, he'l get through half of the time, and that will only be a goal chance if the player behind him with 15 tackling is on his 2/4 or 3/4 tackle, get what i mean? its too complex to try to understand completely, there are too many variables, so obviously results cant be the same, and flukes will happen, such as that 5-3 result you had. just need to accept it and move on. you need to find what it is in the game that keeps you motivated, instead of finding what ****** you off and keep doing it over and over again :P no good will come of it!! and eventually you'll stop playing this beautiful game (big no no!) :)

I understand what you are saying and it would be to complex to go into completely how the game works. I just feel that this element of luck and chance has taken the feeling of achievement out of the game as all i can do is try to push my team in the right direction and hope for the best. The game is sort of like the saying 'you can take a horse to water but you cant make it drink' i can treat my team nicely guide it on the right path to success but at the end of the day it is chance and luck if im successful or not similar to with the horse.

Your right i do need saving from stopping playing altogether but the element of luck/chance you cant control are really putting me off. To me there isnt much of an achievement in an impressive 4-0 win because you were lucky if u replayed the game all things the same u might lose or win 4-3 it was just good luck that you got the 4-0 result first time u played.

I am best menager expecialy because i have best results,and also i play my tactic and dont play like 98% of you with wingers and target mans.

If I menage to win Premiership in season 3 with shity team like Peterbrough that will be best result curently on this forum

I am best menager expecialy because i have best results,and also i play my tactic and dont play like 98% of you with wingers and target mans.

If I menage to win Premiership in season 3 with shity team like Peterbrough that will be best result curently on this forum

Yes it would be a good achievement but if u sent me your save i could play the exact same season with the same tactic, team talks, press conference and do everything completely the same as you and get different results you may win the league i could finish 10th or the other way round.
You may be one of the luckiest on the forum but not the best manager im afraid.

ok, just plugged it in for my next game, which is against Hull City, not the greatest opposition in the world.

changed many, many things, but tried to keep a similar approach you had, its a quick passing, quick moving attacking tactic that allows the opposition to come into your half then boom, get closed down like crazy and win the ball back, launching it out wide for your wingers to run at the defence and cut inside running at their defence which also draws defenders to track them and allows pace for the striker to tap the ball in, which happened on quite a few occasions in the match..

I am off home now, but will continue to work on it tomorrow, next game up is Malaga away

View attachment 287830

Team setup/instructions:

View attachment 287829

having the central mid dropping back is like the Pirlo role, it provides cover for the defence but controls the game (you can make playmaker if you like,however on counter tactics, setting a playmaker may slow down the attack as the ball carrier looks to give the ball to this player,so not advisable)

the two CM's are all rounded mids which provide a good covering to help overload the midfield so depending on what formation you play, you will most likely win the midfield battle..

View attachment 287826

The wingers have been asked to run with the ball and look for space and once the ball is played to them, attack the back four!

View attachment 287827

Long shots do not have to be toned down to never on this years version, allowing the player to take the shot if the option is there is a great tool in your squads arsenal!

Pure Genious! Works like a charm! just made a few tweaks here and there, and even changed my original tactic, according to some of the ideas you implemented here. Thanks a lot mate! have a look at the results in my thread: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...lassic-veez-new-patch-13-1-3-versions-19.html

i'm still looking to imrove them though! now i need defensive and offensive corner routines. that and my crossing ratio is ridiculously bad. need to find the best setting for "cross from" and "cross aim" for full backs and wingers when crossing for a single striker.

this will propably be CHALLENGE #2 lol

thanks again mate!

if you manage that congratulations. if you're doing it just to be considered "the best manager on the forum" than i feel sorry for you mate. there's much more to this game and this community than that.

even if you do win with peterborough, you'll be like an AVB when he won everything with Porto. Its what you do after that that can either make you a Mourinho, or a manager such as benitez or ranieri.... or maybe even steve kean! :)

Pure Genious! Works like a charm! just made a few tweaks here and there, and even changed my original tactic, according to some of the ideas you implemented here. Thanks a lot mate! have a look at the results in my thread: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...lassic-veez-new-patch-13-1-3-versions-19.html

i'm still looking to imrove them though! now i need defensive and offensive corner routines. that and my crossing ratio is ridiculously bad. need to find the best setting for "cross from" and "cross aim" for full backs and wingers when crossing for a single striker.

this will propably be CHALLENGE #2 lol

thanks again mate!

awesome mate :) glad it helped!

cross from:

Defenders:

(it depends on your players and your style of play) but if you play with big strong/slow FB's like Ivanovic etc then cross from deep as you do not want them pushing too far forward as they are not good on attack and may be slow in tracking back

Wingers:

again depends on your style.. out and out wingers like Valencia - Byline as you want them to get behind the FB's and put the defenders under pressure

more creative type Playmakers, mixed, this allows them to decide when it is a good idea to cross and from where, when the opportunity presents itself

Cross aim:

Far post every day mate, especially if playing with wingers as they arrive far post most of the time and have simple tap ins :)

I will check your thread out now ;)

just saw your thread now with the updated OP :) very, very nice work mate :) congrats! really glad to see it working out!

just saw your thread now with the updated OP :) very, very nice work mate :) congrats! really glad to see it working out!

thanks mate! when i read this, i kind of immagined Yoda saying "the force is strong with this one" :P

Back