MadeMafia

Reaction score
I am about to give up. I thought I had figured out about tactics in this game after promoting my local team from second highest division to the highest division in this country. My local team are newly promoted to the second highest division IRL, so I was pretty proud of myself. (I live in Norway btw). Did an OK second season and finished at 9th place in the highest division. But in the 3 next seasons I ended mid-table, even though I bought some pretty decent players, so I gave up because I couldn't finish higher.

I then started a save with Aston Villa and finished mid-table in the first season. Pretty good concedering how they finished this year in real life. In the second season we also finished mid-table. in the third season I bought some world class players, but somehow we play much worse than we did in the 2 first seasons, and we are 13th now.

I try to read guides and learn about tactics from FM forums, but it's still too complicated for me. I try to make logical instructions in my tactic, but it just won't work and I really don't know why it works. I just want to enjoy this game and be successful with my own tactics, but it's just too hard! I don't wanna download other tactics because I don't get the same good feeling by winning with downloaded tactics.

How do I make a style which suits my players? I seem to do a great first season, but in the second season we perform the same as the first season, or we perform worse than the first season.

A possible problem with your Aston Villa save could be that you bought too many new players at once and they didn't gel properly. We see it happen all the time in real life when a team buys a large amount of new players.

Perhaps the players you bought didn't fit your tactic as well as the original players you were using?

Obviously there's lots of different ways to choose a suitable tactic, and there probably isn't a 'one size fits all' type of answer. Maybe you could start designing your tactic around your best couple of players, so for example, if you'v got 2 fantastic wingers, utilise those.

I appreciate what you're saying, as sometimes it can be incredibly frustrating, but that's what I believe makes it more rewarding when you tweak a tactic and it works out for you :)

Also I would suggest making small changes to your previously successful tactic, rather than completely overhauling it. A lot of the time just changing something like the width or a couple of roles makes a dramatic difference.

Tell me how you managed to buy world class players to Villa?

Tell me how you managed to buy world class players to Villa?

In my third seasons I got £100-150 mill to spend on players if calculated correctly (700 million in Norwegian value) Really didn't expected that. Which makes it even worse that I'm 13th now... <.<

And ekul785, thanks for the comment. :)

FM is a management simulation. It's not supposed to be a 'click continue times infinity' type of game.

You have very different players. The old players suited the tactic. Do the new ones? Are teams still lining up the same against you?

Also sounds like you bought a lot of players, so there will be tactical familiarity and squad gelling issues to get over first, so how quickly are you now just giving up?

FM is a management simulation. It's not supposed to be a 'click continue times infinity' type of game.

You have very different players. The old players suited the tactic. Do the new ones? Are teams still lining up the same against you?

Also sounds like you bought a lot of players, so there will be tactical familiarity and squad gelling issues to get over first, so how quickly are you now just giving up?

The question in bold to my experience is the one thing people do not ask themselves despite its great importance!

after a good 1st season they never do. Most goals are scored on counter attacks, IRL as on FM.
I have more success in the 2nd season by playing structured and not control the game but rather draw the opposition out.
shorter passing higher tempo since I usually end up buying mostly short, technical players.

I still often end up destroying big teams and losing against small clubs.

They still do. It's just less noticeable.

I'm the opposite though. If I'm a big team, I go and control the game.

You may be interested in the following about avoiding second season syndrome but containing ideas very relevant to the issues raised in this thread (copied and pasted from my thread http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2016-discussion/351743-manumads-box-choccies-2.html):

Remember that chances are that in the second season your reputation will have risen, so now your team is much more of a threat in the eyes of your opponents.

This may have the following results:

1. Teams will often be happier to take a draw against you.

2. Deeper defensive lines: the space behind the lines that you were exploiting will get smaller.

3. Man-marking of your star players will be much more common - so tweak your tactics to have more varied danger sources (see comments in other posts in this thread).

One cannot be too specific about any recommended tactical changes because you must consider what will work best for the players at your disposal, but I would advise doing the following:

(a) Only recruit players you are sure you need.

(b) Look for players with good Creativity, Determination, Off The Ball, Composure, Vision and Anticipation, as these are the types of player who will help you to stay in games, break down narrow defences and retain possession.

(c) Look for pace as well - even where you wouldnt think that its that important (eg starting xi/back up cbs with less than 11/12 pace should be avoided. The ideal is at least 14).

(d) If you got promoted in the previous season, you have turned from one of the top teams in the previous division to one of the lesser ones in the division you now find yourself in so: tweak your tactics to reflect this.

(e) Understand your reputation has changed and play according to it.

(f) It is reasonable to want to build on your squad after the first season in a better divison (or after a season of success) but being too busy in the transfer market will
damage your team more than improve it. Do NOT go on spending sprees. Rather decide what you need and buy the best players you can for it. Buy quality not quantity. Not more than 3/4 players per summer (up to two in January). Even if you do buy with restraint you still have to introduce your new players gradually (one per starting lineup for a couple of months plus one more as a sub).

(g) Conversely dont offload too many players at once. Remember
TEAM COHESION is
very important. Aim for a gradual shift towards a more balanced team. A team which stays together for long will play better than a team which keeps changing even with the introduction of better players. Language is also very important. It takes players about 6 months to learn the language and this will affect their performances.

(h) Look at the candidates you want to buy and esp their character. Dont bring in disruptive players.

(i) Are players who previously played tremendously now looking lazy or demotivated (watch the games closely: who is misplacing passes they shouldnt, who is getting caught on the ball, who is skying shots from 6 yards?)Remember that motivation issues emanate from the
way you approach press conferences, team talks, private chats and media comments
as well.

(j) Match train (and general train) to combat specific issues. Or try attacking training for longer periods as Ive found this works quite well.

Sometimes reading guides becomes confusing. I really think you should try watching video guides to comprehend better. As visual always beats reading. There are many guides you can find here.

https://youtu.be/Z6P89KlnzrM

Buying worldclass players is all well and good but if they don't fit into your system they just become an expensive waste of time. A cheaper player who fits into your ethos is better than trying to shoehorn that expensive superstar in to a position just because he is a 'star'

When I was a kid playing CM97/98 etc I used to add up all of a players stat to a total number and then compare players by their "total score" with no regard to what their strength or weaknesses were.
Needless to say that's not how FM is supposed to be played :p

that's why I love the game, its so much more to it than buying 11 world class players.