FM 2005 Banned In China

i would like to hear SI thoughts on this matter.
Would hate to think they would bow down to China, Tibel is a valid independant soverin nation

No one in China plays football manager anyhow.

Maybe I'm missing something but surely the banning of FM2005 has no importance today, I mean it's 2010 now- why would any Chinese person want to play FM2005 when they can play 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 or 2010.....

The joys of a communist dictatorship. No surprise really.

No one in China plays football manager anyhow.

Says.... You?

Maybe I'm missing something but surely the banning of FM2005 has no importance today, I mean it's 2010 now- why would any Chinese person want to play FM2005 when they can play 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 or 2010.....

Been thinking this al along reading the thread.......

Im assuming by this comment that its actually only FM2010 that is banned and not FM2006 >

Hmm, it appears the earlier posts about e-mails are for nothing :OXD

Again, I was only stating the pompous nature of China's decision.

I would have been in your favour mate, just people where getting a tad worked up over, nothing really.

haha, i found this out yesterday too. I was asked to do a timeline of important stuff in gaming history, and i though i should put FM on it :p

Again, China doesn't recognize Tibet, they have every right to ban a game that they see as insulting or a dig against their policies towards Tibet (unless you lived under a rock, this is a sensitive issue for them.)

Secondly, the argument that they would lose tax revenue so their decision actually hurts them is simply silly. The revenue would be a few million dollars. Do you know anything about Chinese Finance? That's like ******* in the ocean expecting to raise the temperature.

3rd. Again, China won't be emailing SI about fm05. It's not one guy who looks at everything questionable and asks questions. FM had Tibet in the game, the censor branch found it, and they banned it, case closed. They don't give a **** about clearing it up, and they sure as **** aren't going to take their time to email some game programming company with 30 employees.

4th. FM doesn't recognize Tibet in their games anymore, and as far as I'm aware it sells in China (as I've heard people say they are from China who post on here) So it's not like it was some super harsh lifetime banning by Hitler. (and gosh would that not be terrible if your precious FM was banned in a country you know nothing about and will never see?)

5th. China isn't completely communist, and it's NOT a dictatorship.

I know the average age of this forum is under 18 and most of this stuff will fly right over your head, but I seriously have to wonder if you guys ever stop playing FM and take the time to look around you.

Your post had me laughing just because you are right on all points, I think there's nothing to add to this story but to say that people should act a bit more mature in regard to responding to a guy who adds a thread stating a fact on the forum which I knew nothing about and had me interested.

Montanaro -- that's a good post and I do agree with everything in it. If I'd added something along the lines of 'but they have every right to ban it if they want' at the end of my first post I don't think many of the posts that followed my original one would have been made. I tried to say how silly the situation was without using any abusive type language towards the Chinese government whilst highlighting how easily it could have been fixed if they had wanted too. I don't disagree with anything you've said in any of these posts, or anything Cal said either for that matter -- my only gripe was with the way the initial replies came across. But I'm over it -- differnet people discuss things in different ways.