FM 2011 Netbook Skin and Netbook Help

KevyMatts

Premium
Reaction score
Netbook2011 Skin

A skin designed to work better on Netbooks and other computers who's screens are limited to a 1024x600 resolution. Skin is based on the default FM2011 skin, with the most changes being the maximising of the screen content area.

Installation Instructions:

DOWNLOAD LINK

Extract the files from the zip, and place the netbook2011 folder and the config.xml file into your skins folder, by default this is:

My Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2011/skins
(If you don't have a skins folder just create one)

Now if you can go into the preferences menu without the game crashing select the netbook2011 skin in the dropdown menu, if it doesn't appear turn off the skin select always reload the skin and click confirm go back into the preferences menu and you should now be able to select the netbook2011 skin. (Once the skin is loaded you can turn the cache back on and turn off always reload skin).

If you cannot get into the preferences screen there are two alternative methods to change your skin:

1. Create a desktop shortcut to FM2011, right click on the shortcut -> properties, select the target box go to the end and type:
' --skin=netbook2011' without the ' and remember to include the space, when you load the game using this shortcut it will select the skin referenced there 'netbook2011' in this case.

2. Manually adjust one of the xml files, first you may need to enable view hidden files, then browse to:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011\settings

Vista\Windows 7: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011\settings

Inside that folder will be a list of xml files (they may all be inside a subfolder for some reason), now you want to scroll down until you find the 'skin.xml' file open this with notepad and you will see something like this:

<record>
<string id="valu" value="netbook2011"/>
</record>

where it says netbook2011 will be the name of your currently selected skin, to select the netbook2011 skin type netbook2011 as shown above and save the file. The game will now load with the netbook2011 skin selected.

Other instructions:

If you are having problems getting the game to run due to your screen size being below 1024x768 you may need to add the --small_screen --windowed command to the end of your target line:

First if you don't already have a desktop shortcut to the fm.exe create one, then right click on the shortcut and select properties.

In the box that pops up select the shortcut tab and the third line down should be a target box select the line next to it, that has the location of the game in it and scroll to the end and add this to the end of the line:

" --small_screen --windowed" (don't include the " but include the first space)

So the target box should look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011\fm.exe" --small_screen --windowed

If you installed the game through Steam then you need to load Steam goto the My Games Window right click on Football Manager 2011 -> Properties -> General -> Set Launch Options and type in the box that appears "--small_screen --windowed" (without the " ") click OK then close the window and run FM2011 through steam it should now open in windowed mode, you should then be able to select the netbook skin in the preferences menu.

(The actual location of the fm.exe may vary depending on where you installed the game and whether you are using steam or not).

You can also add the --skin=netbook2011 command to the line as well if you cannot get into the preferences screen. (the skin command will tell the game to load with the netbook skin already loaded)

If you add the skin command the target line should look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011\fm.exe" --small_screen --windowed --skin=netbook2011

Again the bit within the quote marks may be different depending on where you install FM, its the bit after \fm.exe" that you need to add to the end of the target line.

When you load FM2011, maximise the window as that should resize the window so it is no longer cut off, you can also move or auto-hide the windows taskbar to give yourself some extra space.

Screenshots:
homee.jpg

matchp.jpg

trainingq.jpg

profilekb.jpg

NOTE: I would advise you to avoid the following screens:

- Tactics Creater and Set-Piece Wizard - Do not use these, for some reason they cannot be resized and whilst I've removed the buttons this time around I cannot remove the options in the menu so don't click on them. If you do go into the wizards you can get out by pressing escape. You can still use the new tactics system, you'll just need to use the standard tactics screen to create your tactic and change player roles and duties.

- Again the Tactics Creater and now the Set-Piece creater aren't working as they don't seem to be resizable (Though you don't really lose anything as they are just a different method from using the tactics screen).

- The Subtabs may move or disappear when you are automatically taken to a screen, if this happens just click on a different tab and they'll reappear.

DOWNLOAD LINK

ALT DOWNLOAD LINK

A Dark Version will follow next weekend (Other versions may or may not follow I haven't decided yet).

Extra/Alternative screens will follow - there are a few things I have in mind but they take time to test out.

And as always if you spot a screen I've missed let me know (with a screenshot if you can).

---------- Post added at 02:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

Reserved for Dark Skin

---------- Post added at 02:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 AM ----------

Reserved for alts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't even open game up although processor says it's running

My laptop has decided to stop working so Im using my old one for now. It is an Acer Aspire One. I originally downloaded the game from Steam on my now broken laptop and it worked fine, but having installed it on the Acer, when I go to play the game, it says it is already running but nothing happens. The game basically doesnt load. I can't get into any preferences screen to change the skin. Im not at all technical but could the problem be that the graphics card on this is an INTEL 945 Express Chipset? I dont know what else it could be. If this is the issue, is there a way around it? Could I upgrade? Please advise, going out of my mind....

I linked you to this thread so you can follow the instructions given above...

They will fix your problem and get your game up and running on a netbook.

Last edited:
My laptop has decided to stop working so Im using my old one for now. It is an Acer Aspire One. I originally downloaded the game from Steam on my now broken laptop and it worked fine, but having installed it on the Acer, when I go to play the game, it says it is already running but nothing happens. The game basically doesnt load. I can't get into any preferences screen to change the skin. Im not at all technical but could the problem be that the graphics card on this is an INTEL 945 Express Chipset? I dont know what else it could be. If this is the issue, is there a way around it? Could I upgrade? Please advise, going out of my mind....
I am having this exact problem. I'm even using an Acer Aspire One as my current one is broken.

Can anyone help me. I think the resolution is 1024x600 if that helps?

Ok, so clearly Im being stupid. Now Im able to load the game but when I go to preferences, there is no option of a netbook skin.

I'm not particularly computer literate, but I tried going into the skins folder to change it through that (XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011\settings) but there is not application data folder anywhere.

When I tried it on my friends laptop, I found this folder but was unable to change the skin name form footballmanager2011 to the netbook one.

Close to calling it a day.

Any advice?

Hi, sorry being a bit stupid. I think I can do all that, but where do I download the zip file from for the netbook skin? Cheers

Skin designed to work better for mini-notebooks and other computer, which displays only 1024x600 resolution. The skin is based on the default skin, the biggest change in FM2011 is to maximize the screen the contents of the field.

Press alt control delete and start task manager click on the processes tab click on fm.exe and end process.
Create a shortcut for fm.exe.
right click on the shortcut, properties go on the compatibility tab, make sure that compatibility mode is unticked.
Then go onto the shortcut tab (still in properties) add to the end of the target -windowed -small_screen
Hope this can help

I have an acer aspire one 10.1" 533
1gb ram
250gb hardrive

IPSWICH TOWN "get keano out!"

Last edited:
I am having the same problem as VDV61. I have extracted the file to the skins folder (which I had to create) but when I am in the preferences screen, there is no option for netbook skin (just FM 2011).

This is really annoying, so if anyone has any ideas please let me know

Thanks!

Have the same problem, the game won't start up. Tried to follow the advice but there was no compatibility tab on the properties... I have windows 7, could this be the problem? The netbook is a Dell Inspiron... Help please!!

I HAVE FM 11 ITS WORKING ON MY NETBOOK BUT I CANT SEEM TO UPLOAD THE NETBOOK SKIN I HAVE USED INSTRUCTION FROM ABOVE BUT CANT FIND IT HELPPPPP

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

I am having the same problem as VDV61. I have extracted the file to the skins folder (which I had to create) but when I am in the preferences screen, there is no option for netbook skin (just FM 2011).

This is really annoying, so if anyone has any ideas please let me know

Thanks!
SAME THING AS ME SO FRUSTRATING

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

done everything iy says but front screen comes up with green background and wont let me use preferences plzzzz help

Notebook Skins is meant for multiple application and removal. Skin can be reapplied if it is carefully removed and kept. It is easily removed by carefully taking it off the surface. It makes your computer or laptop more beautiful as well as it prevents laptop or computer from scratches. Different types of notebook skins come for various model. It can easily be fixed on the upper surface.