FM 2013: West Ham United Team Guide

dom1

Reaction score
9k=

WEST HAM UNITED
Thought it would only be right that I should do a guide for West Ham after playing with them in FM12. First time attempt so apologies in advance!

THE CLUB
Along with the first team you have a reserve team in Group 1 1st Phase Grp C and an Under 18 team in Group 1 1st Phase Grp B. The club have just come up from the Championship and are looking to stay there. For the good players of FM you are looking for mid table possibly European football.

Facilities wise you start off in the Upton Park, or the Boleyn Ground stadium but you can persuade the club moves into a new stadium with a larger capacity. The club has also got top training facilities and good youth facilites.

SEASONS EXPECTATIONS

Avoid Relegation - £2m transfer budget
Mid table finish - £2.2m
transfer budget

Top half finish - £2.7m
transfer budget

As you can see you don't have a lot of cash available to spend and I just went for the mid table finish option but you could easily do the top half finish option and manage. Personal targets like Europa League? Depends on how good you are and what you plan to do with the side - more on this later.......................

THE SQUAD

Goalkeepers
NAMEAGEPOSVALUESTARS
Jussi Jaaskelainen37GK£250K2.5
Raphael Spiegel19GK£150K2

Jaaskelainen is a decent enough keeper but can play for a year or maybe two. Raphael Spiegel is not up to scratch really and should only be kept as backup until you can get a better one and then he can be sold or moved to improve the reserve team.

Transfer target - The only keeper that is any good and affordable with your budget is ITUMELENG KHUNE of Kaiser Chiefs. I got him just before the start of the season for £1.7m but he is good enough at the highest level until a regen comes through.

Centre Halves
James Tomkins23DC/L£3.2M3.5
James Collins28DC£3M3
Winston Reid24DC£3.6M3.5
Emanuel Pogatetz29DC/DM/MC£3.3M3
Guy Demel31DC/R£1.7M2.5
Joey O'Brien26DR/C£3.1M2

You have a decent set of centre backs here although I prefer to play O'Brien at RB than CB. Tomkins has potential and is good to begin with so I'd put in him the XI to develop and improve his game. Collins is a goalscoring centre half, mainly from set-pieces who has a decent penalty attribute too.

Transfer target - I don't really think you need to prioritize on getting a centre half in. Give it a year and see if you need rejigging the centre backs.

Full Backs
Joey O'Brien26DR/C
£3.1M2.5
George McCartney31DL£1.8M2.5
Guy Demel31DR/C£5.5M2.5
Danny Potts18DL£250k3.5

Your full-backs are quite average and need to be focused on to improve the side. Potts has the potential to do really well so either put in him the first team, send him out on loan or keep him in the reserves for now.

Transfer target - I recommend EMILIO IZAGUIRRE of Celtic as he can play in either left back or left wing back and is available for 3 million. His rating is also 3 and is 26. Good player to buy with your budget.

Central Midfielders
Mark Noble25DM/MC£4.5M3.5
Mohamed Diame25DM/MC£6.25M4
Jack Collison23MC£3.7M3
Gary O'Neil29MC/MRC£2M2.5

Diame is quality - he should be the hub of the team whether you play him at CM or DMC. Noble and Collison can do a job until you get better while O'Neil is there if you really need him.

Transfer target - I cant suggest anyone within the transfer budget. You could ask the chairman for some more transfer funds and look for a young creative player but I can't think of anyone.

Attacking Midfielders
Kevin Nolan30M/AMC£3.5M3
Joe Cole30MC/AMRLC£2.1M3
Ravel Morrison(on loan at Birmingham in 1st season)19MC/AMRLC£2.1M4
Ricardo Vaz Te25AM/LR/ST£10.5M2
Matt Jarvis26AM/RL£6M4.5

Its all about Jarvis here. He is very good and he does great wherever you play him be it AMR or AML. He can cross brilliantly and is a great help for Carroll in the 1st season. Nolan is better than his star rating and gets goals as does Cole. Vaz Te is a useful squad player/sub to have.

Transfer target - MARK GONZALEZ of CSKA Moscow is a good wide player and you can get him reasonably cheap or on loan for the season. Will provide competition for Jarvis.

Forwards
Andy Carroll23ST£6.25M4
Marouane Chamakh28ST£5M4.5
Modibo Maiga24AMR/ST£2.6M4.5

Carroll is very good if you know how to use him but you have to make a decision here as he is on loan for one season. Do you want to get him permanently? I would. But make your own decision.

Chamakh is a good striker for this sort of team and plays brilliantly as a deep lying forward. Again, he is only on loan so you need to make a decision on if you want him permanently for the next season.

Transfer Target - CIPRIAN MARICA is a transfer listed striker who is willing to join a team like West Ham and would do well there. But should you be concerned about your strike power? I don't think so and don't forget you also have Carlton Cole in the reserves!

STAFF

The staff at West Ham seem pretty good to me and I don't see why you need to chop and change them. You can if you want to though.

FORMATION
I play a 4-2-3-1 but with West Ham - because of the flexibility of the players - there are so many options. The back 4 picks itself if you bring in Izaguirre but with at least 5 (6 if you sign the possible creative midfielder I was talking about) quality midfielders it is hard to say which works best!

TIPS

*When you see good 16y/o regens, snap them up early and use the good youth facilities to make them great!

*The two main positions to find/develop are a goalkeeper and a full back, left or right back. If you sign Khune you have a few seasons to get a new young keeper in and unless you want to play and keep Tomkins on the left you have to hope to find a full back sharpish with McCartney and Demel getting old.

Haha, guessing you based the layout of this thread on KLIPPYBO's Athletic Bilbao guide? ;)

Noooooooooooooo...Not at alllllllllllllllllllll :p

9k=

WEST HAM UNITED
Thought it would only be right that I should do a guide for West Ham after playing with them in FM12. First time attempt so apologies in advance!

THE CLUB
Along with the first team you have a reserve team in Group 1 1st Phase Grp C and an Under 18 team in Group 1 1st Phase Grp B. The club have just come up from the Championship and are looking to stay there. For the good players of FM you are looking for mid table possibly European football.

Facilities wise you start off in the Upton Park, or the Boleyn Ground stadium but you can persuade the club moves into a new stadium with a larger capacity. The club has also got top training facilities and good youth facilites.

SEASONS EXPECTATIONS

Avoid Relegation - £2m transfer budget
Mid table finish - £2.2m
transfer budget

Top half finish - £2.7m
transfer budget

As you can see you don't have a lot of cash available to spend and I just went for the mid table finish option but you could easily do the top half finish option and manage. Personal targets like Europa League? Depends on how good you are and what you plan to do with the side - more on this later.......................

THE SQUAD

Goalkeepers
NAMEAGEPOSVALUESTARS
Jussi Jaaskelainen37GK£250K2.5
Raphael Spiegel19GK£150K2

Jaaskelainen is a decent enough keeper but can play for a year or maybe two. Raphael Spiegel is not up to scratch really and should only be kept as backup until you can get a better one and then he can be sold or moved to improve the reserve team.

Transfer target - The only keeper that is any good and affordable with your budget is ITUMELENG KHUNE of Kaiser Chiefs. I got him just before the start of the season for £1.7m but he is good enough at the highest level until a regen comes through.

Centre Halves
James Tomkins23DC/L£3.2M3.5
James Collins28DC£3M3
Winston Reid24DC£3.6M3.5
Emanuel Pogatetz29DC/DM/MC£3.3M3
Guy Demel31DC/R£1.7M2.5
Joey O'Brien26DR/C£3.1M2

You have a decent set of centre backs here although I prefer to play O'Brien at RB than CB. Tomkins has potential and is good to begin with so I'd put in him the XI to develop and improve his game. Collins is a goalscoring centre half, mainly from set-pieces who has a decent penalty attribute too.

Transfer target - I don't really think you need to prioritize on getting a centre half in. Give it a year and see if you need rejigging the centre backs.

Full Backs
Joey O'Brien26DR/C
£3.1M2.5
George McCartney31DL£1.8M2.5
Guy Demel31DR/C£5.5M2.5
Danny Potts18DL£250k3.5

Your full-backs are quite average and need to be focused on to improve the side. Potts has the potential to do really well so either put in him the first team, send him out on loan or keep him in the reserves for now.

Transfer target - I recommend EMILIO IZAGUIRRE of Celtic as he can play in either left back or left wing back and is available for 3 million. His rating is also 3 and is 26. Good player to buy with your budget.

Central Midfielders
Mark Noble25DM/MC£4.5M3.5
Mohamed Diame25DM/MC£6.25M4
Jack Collison23MC£3.7M3
Gary O'Neil29MC/MRC£2M2.5

Diame is quality - he should be the hub of the team whether you play him at CM or DMC. Noble and Collison can do a job until you get better while O'Neil is there if you really need him.

Transfer target - I cant suggest anyone within the transfer budget. You could ask the chairman for some more transfer funds and look for a young creative player but I can't think of anyone.

Attacking Midfielders
Kevin Nolan30M/AMC£3.5M3
Joe Cole30MC/AMRLC£2.1M3
Ravel Morrison(on loan at Birmingham in 1st season)19MC/AMRLC£2.1M4
Ricardo Vaz Te25AM/LR/ST£10.5M2
Matt Jarvis26AM/RL£6M4.5

Its all about Jarvis here. He is very good and he does great wherever you play him be it AMR or AML. He can cross brilliantly and is a great help for Carroll in the 1st season. Nolan is better than his star rating and gets goals as does Cole. Vaz Te is a useful squad player/sub to have.

Transfer target - MARK GONZALEZ of CSKA Moscow is a good wide player and you can get him reasonably cheap or on loan for the season. Will provide competition for Jarvis.

Forwards
Andy Carroll23ST£6.25M4
Marouane Chamakh28ST£5M4.5
Modibo Maiga24AMR/ST£2.6M4.5

Carroll is very good if you know how to use him but you have to make a decision here as he is on loan for one season. Do you want to get him permanently? I would. But make your own decision.

Chamakh is a good striker for this sort of team and plays brilliantly as a deep lying forward. Again, he is only on loan so you need to make a decision on if you want him permanently for the next season.

Transfer Target - CIPRIAN MARICA is a transfer listed striker who is willing to join a team like West Ham and would do well there. But should you be concerned about your strike power? I don't think so and don't forget you also have Carlton Cole in the reserves!

STAFF

The staff at West Ham seem pretty good to me and I don't see why you need to chop and change them. You can if you want to though.

FORMATION
I play a 4-2-3-1 but with West Ham - because of the flexibility of the players - there are so many options. The back 4 picks itself if you bring in Izaguirre but with at least 5 (6 if you sign the possible creative midfielder I was talking about) quality midfielders it is hard to say which works best!

TIPS

*When you see good 16y/o regens, snap them up early and use the good youth facilities to make them great!

*The two main positions to find/develop are a goalkeeper and a full back, left or right back. If you sign Khune you have a few seasons to get a new young keeper in and unless you want to play and keep Tomkins on the left you have to hope to find a full back sharpish with McCartney and Demel getting old.

Ummmmm..... is this for the default or 13.3.0?

13.3. And I'd now recommend a 4-3-3. Working wonders for me, 5th in the league with 27 points after 16 games. Carroll and Chamakh are really good as target men. Vaz Te and Joe Cole you can rotate on the right and Jarvis stays on the left. Diame, Nolan and Noble all play together in the middle. Izaguirre, if you buy him with Tomkins, Reid and O'Brien are good too. Jussi is very good in goal so I hope this helps too.

Cheers,
Dom

13.3. And I'd now recommend a 4-3-3. Working wonders for me, 5th in the league with 27 points after 16 games. Carroll and Chamakh are really good as target men. Vaz Te and Joe Cole you can rotate on the right and Jarvis stays on the left. Diame, Nolan and Noble all play together in the middle. Izaguirre, if you buy him with Tomkins, Reid and O'Brien are good too. Jussi is very good in goal so I hope this helps too.

Cheers,
Dom

Would you be able to post a picture of your tactic? i'm struggling with my west ham save