robbo9292

Reaction score
i tried to start FM last night and it didn't work, tried again just and yet again steam says failed to start game unknown error. what do i do?

Try the obvious, unlikely to fix it but:

Restart steam, restart pc, verify game cache on steam etc.

If that doesn't work, you have the most annoying problem on steam that most people don't really how to resolve... I once had too.

So the next best thing is to go to Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2013 and run fm.exe as Administrator (right click)

+ running steam as administrator could also help.

If that doesn't work... You stop playing FM13 for 2 days, turn on the computer one day, and it magically works... That happened to me.

Thanks, i've uninstalled the game and i'm currently reinstalling it. I did try the restart steam and laptop one because like i say i tried it yesterday and tried it today. How do you verify game cache however?

Tried by going to program files and "windows can not access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the file"... this has made it even more annoying now.

try right clicking on the game title in steam library, then properties(bottom) then click on the local files tab the verify integrity of game cache. It should work once this has loaded. I have to do this EVERY time I want to play it!

Hope this helps
A

I've done it before and it says "1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired"

i've also noticed when doing it, it is only the games file that is being validated not the steam cache

I've tried all of the above, and it still comes up with 'failed to start game (missing executable)'.

Really annoying me now, not been able to play for two weeks, any suggestions please?

If you are missing executables, you are missing the .exe file, whether it is fm.exe or steam itself. That's probably your antivirus or fierwall acting up. I suggest opening your AV and/or firewall and allowing either steam or fm.exe...

then verify game cache again through steam as to download missing files/updates that you were missing

Still doesn't work? Try going to your Program Files>Steam and rename the "appcache" folder to "appcache_bak" and restart steam (log in and log out) and verify cache.