Reaction score
Seemingly every time I fall in the trap of believing what my scout says about the opposing team's :Most Vulnerable to" and I switch to a tactic that it says it is, I seemingly always lose!

****** liars. Next time they say Man Ctiy is vulnerable to a 5-3-2, Imma run a 1-4-5.

Take that SI games!

Never once have I changed my formation based on what opposition are vulnerable to. I will look at where they are weakest and where they get most of their assists from though.

if your on about this

View attachment 372309

then you have got the concept wrong, when the scouts reports show that the opposition is most vulnerable to facing 4-2-3-1 that means that they would be stronger to face an 4-2-3-1, so if you chose to use a 4-2-3-1 against a team that are at there strongest against a 4-2-3-1 you will probably lose that game.

hope this makes sense

"when the scouts reports show that the opposition is most vulnerable to facing 4-2-3-1 that means that they would be stronger to face an 4-2-3-1"

Why on earth would that make any sense? Vunerable means they should be weaker when facing the XXXXX

"when the scouts reports show that the opposition is most vulnerable to facing 4-2-3-1 that means that they would be stronger to face an 4-2-3-1"

Why on earth would that make any sense? Vunerable means they should be weaker when facing the XXXXX

vulnerable to FACING xxxx means that they are stronger against xxxx, but if it said vulnerable AGAINST xxxx which it never does means they are weaker against xxxx.

FM would be far to easy if the scout reports told you which tactic to use against certain teams you could probably win every single game.

Last edited:
vulnerable to FACING xxxx means that they are stronger against xxxx, but if it said vulnerable AGAINST xxxx which it never does means they are weaker against xxxx.

FM would be far to easy if the scout reports told you which tactic to use against certain teams you could probably win every single game.

I am not home at the moment, so I can't check FM properly but I would say you have it a little wrong. The way I see it is:

The vulnerable to facing tactic "4-4-2" shows statistically which formation the opponents have conseeded most goals against in the current season.

In answer to the OP, just because you are using the tactic they are weak to doesn't mean you are going to win. Especially at the beginning of the season, because it is based on stats against other teams. So if they played badly and lost 4-0, your assistant will say they are weak against the tactic their opponents played that game. As it was just one game though, it could have been a one off.

Hope that makes sense. (If I have it right anyway)

How I understood it (I don't really bother looking at the next opponent reports lol) is that if it says they are vulnerable against e.g 4-4-2 then they are weakest against a 4-4-2, so 4-4-2 has more chance of beating them.

Edit*, same time of reply as Iamuser, pretty much the same thoughts haha

Last edited:
I am not home at the moment, so I can't check FM properly but I would say you have it a little wrong. The way I see it is:

The vulnerable to facing tactic "4-4-2" shows statistically which formation the opponents have conseeded most goals against in the current season.

In answer to the OP, just because you are using the tactic they are weak to doesn't mean you are going to win. Especially at the beginning of the season, because it is based on stats against other teams. So if they played badly and lost 4-0, your assistant will say they are weak against the tactic their opponents played that game. As it was just one game though, it could have been a one off.

Hope that makes sense. (If I have it right anyway)

but that wouldn't make sense though, like the gentlemen stated on his post that he used them tactics against the team the scout has stated and he lost them games.

for example just say you got a scout report about Man U and it stated that it's vulnerable to facing a 4-2-3-1 this would mean if you play a 4-2-3-1 against them 8 out of 10 you will lose them games.

I think most people get confuse of the concept of words that really SI should of made more clearer, if the reports stated " vulnerable to FACE a 4-2-3-1 this would mean they are weak against the 4-2-3-1, but it says " vulnerable to FACING a 4-2-3-1 this would mean the opposite.

at first I got confused about it until I took a test, I think it was a few months ago I was up against Fulham who played a 4-1-2-1-2 and the scouts report stated that they are vulnerable to facing a 3-2-3-2 so I switched to a 3-2-3-2 and I got battered 6-0 at that time though I was using the in-game editor to get the tactic fully fluid, so then I reloaded the game back and used a 4-4-2 and I won them 4-1, next game I was up against Swansea and the scouts had a 4-4-2 for vulnerable so I played a 4-4-2 against them and lost 3-1 so again I reloaded the game and used a 4-2-3-1 and I won 4-0.

trust me give it a go you will see what I mean.

Im still not totally convinced. Why would it not say "Strongest when facing"?

Edit: in fact, I am really curious to see which was it actually is, so I will do an experiment tomorrow and post my findings

Last edited:
but that wouldn't make sense though, like the gentlemen stated on his post that he used them tactics against the team the scout has stated and he lost them games.

for example just say you got a scout report about Man U and it stated that it's vulnerable to facing a 4-2-3-1 this would mean if you play a 4-2-3-1 against them 8 out of 10 you will lose them games.

I think most people get confuse of the concept of words that really SI should of made more clearer, if the reports stated " vulnerable to FACE a 4-2-3-1 this would mean they are weak against the 4-2-3-1, but it says " vulnerable to FACING a 4-2-3-1 this would mean the opposite.

at first I got confused about it until I took a test, I think it was a few months ago I was up against Fulham who played a 4-1-2-1-2 and the scouts report stated that they are vulnerable to facing a 3-2-3-2 so I switched to a 3-2-3-2 and I got battered 6-0 at that time though I was using the in-game editor to get the tactic fully fluid, so then I reloaded the game back and used a 4-4-2 and I won them 4-1, next game I was up against Swansea and the scouts had a 4-4-2 for vulnerable so I played a 4-4-2 against them and lost 3-1 so again I reloaded the game and used a 4-2-3-1 and I won 4-0.

trust me give it a go you will see what I mean.

No.. It says on my current norwich scouting report "Most vulnerable to facing 4-2-3-1" & when I click into the actual report it shows how many goals they've conceded while playing against this formation, and the amount of time it took to concede those goals.

This report would mean that if you used a 4-2-3-1 against Norwich then statistically you're going to score the amount of goals they've already conceded if you played the same number of minutes against them. It doesn't mean it's an auto-win scenario, it just means that they've played alot of teams with 4-2-3-1 and those teams happened to hammer them while using that formation, thus they're deemed weak to it.

I've literally no idea what you're trying to say with the "face" and "facing". The report would be like: Norwich are most vulnerable to facing 4-2-3-1. That quite clearly means they're weak to it.

Last edited:
"Manchester United are vulnerable when facing 4-4-2 formations" - so they are weak against 4-4-2, not strongest against it as it says vulnerable.

"Manchester United are vulnerable when they face a team using a 4-4-2 formation"

Same thing isn't it?

Pretty sure it just means that they have had worse results when up against a team playing a 4-4-2 formation

"But that wouldn't make sense though, like the gentlemen stated on his post that he used them tactics against the team the scout has stated and he lost them games."

Changing a formation specially to play against them because it says they are weak against it doesn't automatically mean a win though.

Maybe the big issue here is semantic.

SI use English from UK and some terms are not familiar to the rest of the world, making some people confused.

Regarding the opposition report, don't look at it, believe in your ideas and make them bend over your genial tactic plan!

Dude, you need to look up the word "vunerable" in a dictionary.

Which Dude needs to Aannddyy?

I've looked up "vunerable" but it doesn't exist ;)

Vulnerable means:

exposed to the possibility of being attacked or harmed, either physically or emotionally.
"we were in a vulnerable position"

synonyms: in danger, in peril, in jeopardy, at risk, endangered, unsafe, unprotected,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vulnerable means:

exposed to the possibility of being attacked or harmed, either physically or emotionally.
"we were in a vulnerable position"

synonyms: in danger, in peril, in jeopardy, at risk, endangered, unsafe, unprotected,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahaha, think you missed my joke mate, Aannddyy spelt vulnerable as vunerable, was just saying that I looked for "vunerable", as per his advice - and it didn't exist.

(admittedly not a joke quite worthy of a stand up routine but oh well)

There's no way to provide proof for or against what this report means. It's statistics. They aren't infallible.

All it means is that the current opposition you're about to play has conceded the majority of their goals over a certain amount of minutes to a specific formation. It doesn't tell you what play style to use, how high your line should be, what the weather was like during these games, whether the opposition were struggling with injuries, etc.

All it says is that when Norwich/Fulham/Wham/Stoke played 4-2-3-1 (an extremely popular formation in big teams) they conceded a lot of goals.

You should completely ignore it, and just continue using whatever strategy you had, because as with a lot of the information in FM, it's pointless and doesn't add anything to the game if you've already got an amazing tactic and amazing players.

You can just roll up using a random tactic against team like Man Utd or even any other team in fact and expect your going to win because it says they conceded most of their goals when facing that formation? That other team could of been a team like Barcelona or Madrid for all you know. Plus on FM14 and in real life you need to train and learn the tactics and they way to play it, you can't just roll up and play a 4-3-2-1 and expect to play amazing if they aren't used to the formation and type of play before mate.

Learn your players and learn a formation right for your team and your see the difference other wise why would anyone play the game as it would be too easy.

I would say the most important thing to look at on the opposition scout report is the common assist area. If it is the left wing, I will set my right midfielder to a Defensive winger, and get him to make their ML/AML to cut the supply.