FM Touch Tactic Import Instructions (iPad)

Danwolf

Reaction score
In prior years, FM Touch used to have a different tactic extension (.tac) compared to the .fmf extension used for PC. Thus, if played on tablet it required you to recreate a tactic from scratch so you would need to set up the team instructions, player instructions and set pieces.

Now (FM20) and in FM19, it uses the same extension and only a few small steps are required to import tactics to FM Touch on the tablet version.

Steps are shared below for those who play Touch on their iPads.

If using Macbook and it has the latest OS version, iTunes will not be needed. In fact Apple has removed iTunes and splitted it to multiple apps or wants to(from what I know). When you plug the iPad to the Macbook it will ask for a confirmation on it and after that your iPad will be connected to the laptop. You can see it inside Finder app. Select it and go to Files tab and expand FM Touch 20. Drag the dowloaded tactic here. The loading part (One folder up....) is the same.

Steps:
1) Download iTunes and install it
2) Connect the iPad to iTunes and wait for the sync to finish
3) Select the tablet and go to "File Sharing"
4) Select "FM Touch"
5) Click "Add File" and add the desired downloaded tactic
6) Click "Done", disconnect and enjoy.

When you load the tactic inside FM Touch just go one folder up from the tactics folder which is opened by default in order to see the imported tactic.

These steps are for iPads without jailbreak. With jailbreak just download the tactic directly on the iPad, use iFile or any other file explorer and copy the tactic into the FM Touch tactics folder.

Credits to mishyf I just copied their thread and they've provided us more info!

Last edited:
In prior years, FM Touch used to have a different tactic extension (.tac) compared to the .fmf extension used for PC. Thus, if played on tablet it required you to recreate a tactic from scratch so you would need to set up the team instructions, player instructions and set pieces.

Now (FM20) and in FM19, it uses the same extension and only a few small steps are required to import tactics to FM Touch on the tablet version.

Steps:
4) Select "FM Touch"

When you load the tactic inside FM Touch just go one folder up from the tactics folder which is opened by default in order to see the imported tactic.

These steps are for iPads without jailbreak. With jailbreak just download the tactic directly on the iPad, use iFile or any other file explorer and copy the tactic into the FM Touch tactics folder.

Credits to mishyf I just copied their thread for FM19 with minor updates.
If using Macbook and it has the latest OS version, iTunes will not be needed. In fact Apple has removed iTunes and splitted it to multiple apps or wants to(from what I know). When you plug the iPad to the Macbook it will ask for a confirmation on it and after that your iPad will be connected to the laptop. You can see it inside Finder app. Select it and go to Files tab and expand FM Touch 20. Drag the dowloaded tactic here. The loading part (One folder up....) is the same.

Awesome! Thank you will add that to the opening post!

Can we change Skin ?
Never tried. From what I see inside the Preferences section for the skin there is a dropdown. Theoretically you should copy the new skin inside the skin folder and it should become available in the dropdown. There are 2 issues: the skin folder (i don’t know if there is one for FM Touch - never checked for that) and the second is the copy action inside that folder. I wasn’t able to copy the tactics inside the tactics folder so i copied them inside the root application folder and then load it but the tactics selection has a file navigation for loading whilst the skin is simply a dropdown which means that it only takes what is inside the skins folder without being able to load it from another location like the tactics. In conclusion if there is a tactics folder and you are able to copy a new skin inside that folder then it should be available in the dropdown in the application. I know that the PC version has that feature because i’ve used the pc version for years but the fact is that FM Touch has some limitations over the PC version but who knows. Maybe the future versions will narrow those limitations as they did for example for the tactics in the past two years ( before 2019 you could not import a pc tactic inside the Touch version because it had another extension). I take what it is for now - i am happy that i can download tactics and import them even though i miss the pre/post match conferences and match shouts. Happy trophy hunting and hopefully they fix the ME with those long balls over the defence.

Problem for me is, if I still owned a computer besides my work provided equipment, I would play full fm on that instead of touch. However, I don’t so I’m forced to copy tactics into the iPad :(

Problem for me is, if I still owned a computer besides my work provided equipment, I would play full fm on that instead of touch. However, I don’t so I’m forced to copy tactics into the iPad :(
In order to copy a downloaded tactic to your iPad use one of the following (the one which suits your laptop/pc type):
1) If you have a Windows laptop: follow the steps in the OP related to iTunes (for windows iTunes still seems to be available)
2) If you have a Macbook follow the part related to Macbook and Finder app

In order to copy a downloaded tactic to your iPad use one of the following (the one which suits your laptop/pc type):
1) If you have a Windows laptop: follow the steps in the OP related to iTunes (for windows iTunes still seems to be available)
2) If you have a Macbook follow the part related to Macbook and Finder app

I literally just said I would do this if I owned a computer.

I literally just said I would do this if I owned a computer.
Got to remember, English may not be their first language that or they just misread it. As for Skins on an iPad I wouldn't know since it would require a specific skin due to resolution/screen size. I've not come across any but sure you can find some on Google maybe?

First excuse my pour english level.

I try to explain you my problem.
i like to upload and test tactics in fmtouch. No problem for this but recently i touch 2 times parent file and now i can’t find tactics folders when i want to charge a new tactic for my game.

Can you help me to find the tactics file ?

in advance thank you for your help

Steps:
4) Select "FM Touch"

Credits to mishyf I just copied their thread and they've provided us more info!

First excuse my pour english level.

I try to explain you my problem.
i like to upload and test tactics in fmtouch. No problem for this but recently i touch 2 times parent file and now i can’t find tactics folders when i want to charge a new tactic for my game.

Can you help me to find the tactics file ?

in advance thank you for your help

You can go to game Preferences and reset all settings. But you will need to set again your desired settings. After this action when you try to load again the tactic load window will be opened in the tactics folder.

Hi mates, since last update I can't find anymore the "one folder up" option.

Did anyone had the same problem and maybe found a solution?

Many thanks.

Hi mates, since last update I can't find anymore the "one folder up" option.

Did anyone had the same problem and maybe found a solution?

Many thanks.

Hi. I checked this and you are right. The “Up” folder action is not available anymore ?.
Using Finder app on Macbook you cannot upload a tactic to tactics folder. Only root folder of the game is shown. The same situation occurs using iTunes on a Windows machine even though it shows the other folders including the tactics one but you are not able to select it to go inside it.
Maybe some other tool to copy files on an iPad without jailbreak. I remember there was another one a few years ago but I need to check this.

I remembered its name. It is called iFunBox. Used it once a long time ago to copy something inside a game. It might work with this application.

I can confirm that I’ve managed to upload a tactic to tactics folder using iFunbox.

After the latest update (20.3.0) loading a tactic from the root FM Touch folder is no longer possible because ‘Up’ button in the tactics load window was removed. Tactics can only be loaded now from the tactics folder.

Steps to copy a tactic from PC to FM Touch tactics folder (Windows 10 PC/Laptop):
1) Make sure you install apple drivers to your PC:
2) Download and install iFunbox 4: https://www.filehorse.com/download-ifunbox/
3) Connect your iPad to you PC and start iFunBox (you will have an IFunbox 64 executable in your windows start menu); a confirmation window may appear on your iPad when connected to your computer and you have to click "Trust" button inside that dialog)
4) Inside iFunBox app there is a menu from which you have to select Apps (Applicarions) in order to see applications installed on your iPad
5) A small section with options will be available on the same line with your FM Touch application (it is placed on the right side). One of them has a directory icon and it will open the FM Touch application and show the files and folders. Double click on the tactics folder to go inside the tactics folder.
6) On the top side of the iFunbox application there is an option called ‘Copy files from computer". Use that option to upload your desired tactic to your FM Touch tactics folder.

You are done. You can start the game and load your uploaded tactic.

I can confirm that I’ve managed to upload a tactic to tactics folder using iFunbox.

After the latest update (20.3.0) loading a tactic from the root FM Touch folder is no longer possible because ‘Up’ button in the tactics load window was removed. Tactics can only be loaded now from the tactics folder.

Steps to copy a tactic from PC to FM Touch tactics folder (Windows 10 PC/Laptop):
3) Connect your iPad to you PC and start iFunBox (you will have an IFunbox 64 executable in your windows start menu); a confirmation window may appear on your iPad when connected to your computer and you have to click "Trust" button inside that dialog)
4) Inside iFunBox app there is a menu from which you have to select Apps (Applicarions) in order to see applications installed on your iPad
5) A small section with options will be available on the same line with your FM Touch application (it is placed on the right side). One of them has a directory icon and it will open the FM Touch application and show the files and folders. Double click on the tactics folder to go inside the tactics folder.
6) On the top side of the iFunbox application there is an option called ‘Copy files from computer". Use that option to upload your desired tactic to your FM Touch tactics folder.

Do you know if there is a work around for IOS? I'm still getting this issue on my iPad for FM21 touch.

I cannot begin to thank you enough , i'm not very tech savy and had struggled for a week to find a way of doing this as everyone says use itunes which my new ipad won't have . Your instructions were accurate , concise and easy enough for me to use . Sir , i would buy you a pint if i could but in it's place i will way a heart felt thank you very much