FM vs CM - basic question

luxor68

Reaction score
Hey Guys - I've played CM for the past several years & recently tried FM. Generally speaking I like FM better, but there is one strange way that CM seems much better, unless I'm missing something. Which is why I'm asking here. ;)

In CM's Tactics screen you can click the lozenge of the position & automatically a list of available players for that position is pulled up. This list is prioritized by ability (attributes), so it's very helpful to know without consulting any other material who are your strongest guys. I cannot find a feature like this in FM, but perhaps I'm missing something? How do you guys know "on the fly" which options are best? Currently I'm having to consult Print Screens from the team, but there has to be a better way....

You can use team report. It gives you your best player for each position and gives you them a star rating. Think it is under assistant advice on the squad page.

Yes, I see that. It's still not nearly as easy to use or convenient as the Tactical view in CM, which is odd since the rest of FM is so well thought out...

When you get to know your squad this shouldn't matter that much anyway. Placing a player in a position on the tactics screen will see a coloured dot appear below them.

A bright green dot = natural in that position
Green dot = accomplished
Yellow = competent
Orange = awkward
Red = playing out of positional. Poor at this role.

When you get to know your squad this shouldn't matter that much anyway. Placing a player in a position on the tactics screen will see a coloured dot appear below them.

A bright green dot = natural in that position
Green dot = accomplished
Yellow = competent
Orange = awkward
Red = playing out of positional. Poor at this role.

As I'm color blind, unfortunately bright green and green seem the same :'( But I still manage, though I also have trouble spotting an orange sometimes -_-

But yes, this is the way you check for positions in FM 2010, and it's a good system.

Thats unfortunate. however, an easier way to tell the difference between bright green and green is to look at the ppms and basic attributes. As long as you dont play him in a yellow or orange he will suffice to do the job. Playing Kaka in AMC gets the best out of him, playing him in MC still gets alot out of him, however in AMC he tends to score more goals than in CM where he creates more.

Another example would be essien, who gets the best of both worlds in DMC and MC.