FM13 Beginner/ Need help with Arsenal save (PLEASE)

goonerotis

Reaction score
As of recent I decided to try playing FM13 to see what all the fuss is about (Bored of FIFA) I decided to play as my favourite team Arsenal as I do in all football games. I started of dubious but as the game developed and the more videos I watched if motivated me more to create a successful save and bring back the glory days for the gunners... After multiple re-creations of saves and trying out different tactics/ bringing in new staff I can honestly say I have no idea what I have to do to create a recent run of form. I haven't really delved into training or observing my opponents tactics/team heavily and I leave my assistant manager to do most stuff, I THINK this could be a mistake on my part so again if anyone has any help in this field Id love to hear it and take it on board.
View attachment 462130These are the tactics I'm working with and according to a lot of guides and tactic threads there should be no reason why this team should be losing to stoke, crystal palace, Norwich and hull. I am using an updated database so I can play with the updated arsenal squad and also am playing on the new 13.3.3 update (If this has any relevance) I've followed guides and stories of how teams should be set up and I just cant understand why I'm not getting the success other people are getting whilst playing at Arsenal. I have read in some places that you should change your tactics for the teams you play against, this is something I have not been doing as I didn't think it would require that much depth if this is something I should be doing I'm hoping someone can elaborate for me and help me out with tactics, players that should be bought, staff, and just a general help on why I'm not performing well enough.
View attachment 462127These are the results I have gained from this save, even though their are some good wins in their I shouldn't be losing to some of the teams I've been losing too. And there is no consistency every time I think I might be hitting form. Another problem I have had, I read someone's Arsenal story where in the first season they where able to buy Falcao, Bender, Baines. I was given 27 million and even with selling some deadwood I couldn't afford these players for the life of me I don't understand how it is possible for some people and Impossible for me. I think It could be because of the update and some players prices had gone up/down but ultimately I don't know which is frustrating. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I'm trying to learn and just want to get the best experience out of this game as possible (Which I know you can!!) If you read this I hope you can get back to me with your knowledge of FM and help me out big time, I am enjoying the game but I know I can enjoy it even more If I understand it more than I already.

Thanks In advance!

Last edited:
A couple of pointers I could give you for your tactics include training them a bit more so your players get used to it better. And It would also help to see your team and any important player instructions.
As for players, you won't be able to sign Falcao with your updated transfers as he's gone to Monaco, and also most transfers take luck to get a player transfer listed. However if you declare interest in a player he'l be easier to get. Hope I helped.

Yep I can see those screenshots, but I think he meant he would like to see a screenshot of your team instructions, which is next to the overview, and also if you have set any individual player instructions to show these as well. It's difficult to offer any advice without seeing your team instructions first.

Another thing I would suggest is under your team report, look at the last match, and view team talk feedback, here your assistant manager will give you an idea of how well your team is blending. I wouldn't recommend using more than a maximum of 3 signings in your starting lineup. Also, bear in mind that with the transfer update you now have transfers from 3 windows that need time to gel.

Training and match preparation are very important in this game. Focusing on attacking movement for home games against similar/weaker opposition is a good start. As for away games, it all depends on the opposition, but defensive positioning or defending set pieces might be a good idea against the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool etc. You could obviously do this for home games as well if you wanted to. You can also base your training off previous results, if your conceding alot of goals then focus on defending for a week or two, or if you're not scoring enough then focus on attacking. I tend to rotate between defending, attacking and ball control, but this is sometimes changed depending on who i'm playing.

Your away losses to weaker opposition may be because those teams are likely to sit back and hit you on the counter attack, and maybe you're being too offensive by pushing too high up the pitch and being caught out, maybe try playing a little deeper or changing the mentality from attacking to control.

Will be able to offer more advice when we see screenshots.

Effective scouting before the match helps, it's no good just throwing a squad of names out and hope they turn over the opposition.
Look for their danger men, pass completion (who is their architect), who gets their goals? (tall power forwards or fast little defoe's).
Average ratings Vs games played, 1st team injuries (who their likely cover, is he a weak link?)

Are you targeting their weaker players effectively? (bravery, aggression)<< tackled hard these players may lose interest.
(composure, agility, first touch, passing) <<close these player down and they may lose the ball.
Sit back, stand off and periodically push hard then sit back again. Most weaker teams who go to your ground just want to avoid a hammering so will sit super deep and just frustrate you, you have to draw them out and maybe play a counter attack style.

One shape does not fit all situations, develop your tactics.

Know how the OP feels. Looks like the Charlton board are finally running out of patience with me after 11 games in charge winning 1, drawing 5 and losing 5. A bad game against Leeds next week could see me sacked. The problem with all FM versions is that whilst the capabilities change the myriad of jargon, tactical options (that does no include training) that you drown in all too easily means success is very difficult for the people who do not spend every waking moment studying the sport's technical level.

This is my training schedule (hope you can make it bigger)

View attachment 461644

This is my tactical screen (note that I just adjust the sliders in the individual player setup)

View attachment 461643

View attachment 461642

This is an example of the player tactics

View attachment 461641

Last edited: