jack_widnell

Reaction score
I've started my career with Liverpool on FM13, but every team talk I do seems to anger or switch off most of my team.

What're the best team talks to use, in your opinion on the new FM13 in these scenarios:
Pre match:
- when favourites
- against similar opposition
- against rivals

half-time:
- losing, playing poorly
- drawing, ditto
- drawing, playing well
- winning
- embarrassing the oppoisition

full-time:
- lost
- drew
- drew, good result
- won
- won by a ridiculous margin

I'm really struggling, so any help's appreciated.

It has also to do with the following variables

- The players morale
- The players confidence
- The players Performance in the game
- The players personality
- The tone is which it is said
- Your managerial reputation
- What you said after the last game in the press conf.
- What you said pregame in the press conf.

- Pregame team talks effects trhe halftime and full time, the halftime effects the fulltime

So you see, to be able to give really good advice, one would have to look at your scecific situation. This I would not do until the game is released though as there is no menaing in drawing conclusions from a beta.

team talks barely work in the first season mate, especially with a big team like that! it also depends on your past experience as well but do not worry too much about it...

the 2nd season should be much better!

Good to know it's worth waiting to the final release to draw conclusions on speaking to the team.
I have **** near given up trying to read and speak to my players.
EVERYTHING I say ****** them off.
My assistant at least gets no reaction to a fairly favorable tone.
So he's got the reins until next week.
BTW, I have read up on the subject & thought I was using the right combos.
In FM12 I was was a motivational guru.

I think they are still a lil bugged. One thing I notice is when I'm making subs. If I sub 3 players at a time..the first guy is fine...the second guy if I say something to him, the first guy gets angered. Then when I say something to the third guy the first guy is fine and the second guy gets angered lol. Not much to do with it now it seems. I still follow WoIFsong's advice from prior games. I always use Calm and only use Passionate for great performances or down 1 goal at halftime.

Allright,I realised this.
If you give the full teamtalk calmly,use cautiously on the individual players.
If you went passionately on the team,go for calmly on players.
if you go aggressive on the team,go assertive on the players.
Generally go for expect to win with any one and then you have faith on the players.
I generally use calm and cautious but change to passionately for big games.With half time aggression if we arent winning by heaps.
Working for Reading and United.

What TBH is so important I'm going to post it again:
It has also to do with the following variables
- The players morale
- The players confidence
- The players Performance in the game
- The players personality
- The tone is which it is said
- Your managerial reputation
- What you said after the last game in the press conf.
- What you said pregame in the press conf.

- Pregame team talks effects trhe halftime and full time, the halftime effects the fulltime

So you see, to be able to give really good advice, one would have to look at your scecific situation. This I would not do until the game is released though as there is no menaing in drawing conclusions from a beta.

The amount of times people do not take the bold into action, and then struggle with them baffles me. It is vital you do so. If you cant be bothered, get an assistant manager who is brilliant in squad management and motivation.

I mean that's great Mike...but the amount of times that you say something that in real life you would think wouldn't set someone off yet in the game a boatload of red pops up gets frustrating. So yes while what you put in bold is a good general guide. People are looking for a bit more depth of what's working so they don't accidentally P-off some players. I'll try some of the things akash posted.

I mean that's great Mike...but the amount of times that you say something that in real life you would think wouldn't set someone off yet in the game a boatload of red pops up gets frustrating. So yes while what you put in bold is a good general guide. People are looking for a bit more depth of what's working so they don't accidentally P-off some players. I'll try some of the things akash posted.

But thats the thing. There is no generall guide as an answer to the scenarios in the opening post ad they lack variables. All the other areas I highlighted has much, much more influence on your choice or tone and words than just the result Of the game.

For instance, lets say you have just won 3-0 against à similair team at home. if à player is starting to become highly overconfident and complacent and have had an average game, another player lacking in confidence and have shown frustration and being anxious in the game and have been given an average rating.... Would you give them the same team talk ?

What if I now tell you that the struggling player actually is the star striker that is highly professional, and that the complacent one is à 19 year old player that lacks in mental skills etc. Would this change anything. What if its the other way around ?

I think one should start out by deciding how much time you want to spend on this and decide upon what kind Of manager you want to be. One that is agressive and have high demands, one that is supportive and find that its better not upsetting any player, one that play mindgames etc.

In à b

Last edited:
Also if the players have a ****** morale,cautiously and calmly is the only way to get through them.
And on the other hand when you are winning heaps,assertively is a better way to go.
I feel that every situation is different,but you can always have a little rule of thumb teamtalk and then vary from there depending on the situation.
Thats what I do.

But thats the thing. There is no generall guide as an answer to the scenarios in the opening post ad they lack variables. All the other areas I highlighted has much, much more influence on your choice or tone and words than just the result Of the game.

For instance, lets say you have just won 3-0 against à similair team at home. if à player is starting to become highly overconfident and complacent and have had an average game, another player lacking in confidence and have shown frustration and being anxious in the game and have been given an average rating.... Would you give them the same team talk ?

What if I now tell you that the struggling player actually is the star striker that is highly professional, and that the complacent one is à 19 year old player that lacks in mental skills etc. Would this change anything. What if its the other way around ?

I think one should start out by deciding how much time you want to spend on this and decide upon what kind Of manager you want to be. One that is agressive and have high demands, one that is supportive and find that its better not upsetting any player, one that play mindgames etc.

In à b

i concur with u TBH. it would be so much better if we can 'skip' the overall teamtalk and give positional/individual teamtalks instead... but then again after a season or more ur team will react better like it did in fm12 (or at least for me)

I have also seen that mixing and matching it up,rather than go with the same thing all the time yields better results.

Going to post some general findings here to try and help people out because I know I'm not the only one utterly missing it on these team talks.

Down 2-0 AT Chelsea (with Arsenal) and the manager went assertive. See screen shot...View attachment 280453

Giroud was stressed so I told him to calm down aggressively. It worked but it stayed red.

I play with City, a lot of egos and i see that the pre game team talk don't have much effect. I still use the Fm12 system:

Pre game:
Always assertive: Something like i want a victory
Half time:
Drawing - Angry or assertive
Loosing - always angry
Winning by 1 - assertive: don't get complacent or something alike
Winning by 2 - assertive: continue
Winning by 3 or more: calm: continue
End game:
Winning: always calm: good job
Draw or Lost: angry

I think it depends a lot on the tone. With this, i'm getting some result and the end of the game to boost morale and keep the team in one piece (Do not want Tevez to start a fight with Balotelli!).

It's logic to get more out of the team talks in the 2nd season, since they know you better. One thing for sure: Always think on morale 1st, keep your own ideas inside your head!

I play with City, a lot of egos and i see that the pre game team talk don't have much effect. I still use the Fm12 system:

Pre game:
Always assertive: Something like i want a victory
Half time:
Drawing - Angry or assertive
Loosing - always angry
Winning by 1 - assertive: don't get complacent or something alike
Winning by 2 - assertive: continue
Winning by 3 or more: calm: continue
End game:
Winning: always calm: good job
Draw or Lost: angry

I think it depends a lot on the tone. With this, i'm getting some result and the end of the game to boost morale and keep the team in one piece (Do not want Tevez to start a fight with Balotelli!).

It's logic to get more out of the team talks in the 2nd season, since they know you better. One thing for sure: Always think on morale 1st, keep your own ideas inside your head!

THIS was the kind of info I was searching for. Been a tremendous help. Thanks bro! Now working on the individuals but using that as a guide. No where near as much red as I was having before.

THIS was the kind of info I was searching for. Been a tremendous help. Thanks bro! Now working on the individuals but using that as a guide. No where near as much red as I was having before.

Remember that you can also use this on the private ones for defense, midfield and attack, if the general don't work.

i usually say nothing the first season and start motivating 2nd season if I met seasons expectations. seems players start listening to you if they believe in your capabilities