FM15 Experts Where am I going so wrong!? Really need opinions

LDPLFC

Reaction score
Hello,

I have started as Swindon Town FC and understand it's the Beta but thought I'd still beg for some urgent help as my results are appalling so far with i'd say a pretty decent team.
Please take the time to look at my tactical instructions and tell me what to do...I have tweaked but nothing seems to be working.

View attachment 332490View attachment 332489View attachment 332488

Individual Instructions:
LST Advanced forward - Shoot less often/Move into channels
RST Poacher - Move into channels
CAM Attacking midfielder Support - Shoot less often/More direct passes
LCM Deep lying Playmaker Support - More direct passes/Run wide with ball
RCM Central midfielder Automatic - Shoot less often/run wide with ball
CDM Half back - Close down much more often/Pass it shorter/Shoot less often
LB/RB Wing back Automatic - Shoot less often/Mark tighter/Stay wider/run wide with ball/Pass it shorter
LCB/RCB Central defender Defend- Pass it shorter
GK - Distribute to CB's

I honestly cannot tell you whats going wrong, the last game I lost, home to Crewe I had 5 CCC's and 65% possession with 82% pass rate and their goals came from a high cross into the box from their left back and a 25 yard free kick.

Thank you
LDP :)

A team that drops deep and forces you wide will find it easy enough to defend against you. All your play is coming through the middle of the park and it's fairly predictable. The only with in your team, the wing backs, are being told to take the ball wide but only to pass shorter. Man mark him and you effectively render all your wide play mute.

You need to bring more players into play. Both your strikers have "move into channels" so they are looking to revive the ball, not create with it. You need to bring you ACM into play by using him as a link man. Complete Wing backs might give you more potency goign forward and the HB will allow you extra defensive cover. It'll take 5-6 games to get the team used to a new system which will inevitably result in more losses. You need to figure out what you want to do and then stick with it. The results will come but don't panic so early in the season.

*Disclaimer* I can't guarantee my advice will work, it's just what I'd do personally with your tactic if I was faced with those resutls.

I would like to know more about what you're seeing. What is wrong? For anyone to advise you on improvements, you need to be able to tell us what needs improving. Are you getting chances? Are the strikers just not putting them away? How do you envision this tactic working? Where are you looking to channel play? Who will be your main goal scorers? The main assist providers? etc

Whats your main problem, Conceeding, not eneough chances created, lack of goals?

FM 2015 Tactics Guide: How To Create a Tactic • FM Stories

Read that it's really good. (What it outlines)...

Identify your best players and put them in their best roles - CRUCIAL.
Choose between the three different styles of play on the Team Instructions.
Leave idividual player instructions alone initially.

If you follow those steps you should have more success. Atm your tactic looks very complicated, keep it simple, and once you have a good idea how the tactic performs, then get more complex with it.

All the above advice is good and all, and probably reading what hitman has said will help you more than anything.

But to have the only width in your team as wingbacks on support and to tell your team to play wide, look for overlaps is......

There isnt any real balance in your team. In addition to the guide in hitmans link you should look at sigames forum as there are loads of guides there. they might not be up to date for fm15 but they are still relevant to setting up a balanced team.

the first thing i notice is your telling your team to play wider with no wingers? i also wouldnt advise play out of defence with teams lower than top championship, players simply just dont have the ratings to do it and cause the team more harm than good!
also from the sounds of your game against crewe it was just one of those games, i think you need to play more games before worrying about it too much

IMO, i see some things that will not work has they are.

If you are going to close down and prevent the GK to pass to the defenders, you will need to press very high. For that you will need high levels of anticipation and pace in your CBs.

Overlap is good when you have the wingers to retain the ball waiting for the FBs to pass by them to get the ball and cross/run. You don't have wingers or nay player that can do that besides the AMC.

Also, playing wider can be used to stretch the other team defense, and i should be used with wingers or IFs, or having WBs and you need work ball into box to stop the long balls or the long shots.

you might want to change your cd's duties to stopper, both of them, and let the half back cover...

Thank you

I have been meaning to reply to your messages but been a tad busy.
I have started a new game with Swindon and all of your guys help has helped me create a tactic i believe to be good. I am now on a 14 match unbeaten run and 2nd in the league. If this tactic goes well the whole season i am definitely uploading it.

Without all your input i would have never been able to do it but you have made me realise that when you understand where the players are at all times on the pitch, how much support your giving to the attack and defence. I've found midfield is the key to everything.

Thanks again!
lDP