Rose Suburban

Reaction score
As the launch of FM18 beckons in a couple of months, this list is my opinion on the best underrated players I have encountered in FM17 per position. The criteria they must meet is that they have to be either underrated, overpowered or extremely cheap. This way, most mid-level to first-rate clubs with a modest transfer budget (from, say, Mönchengladbach to the Milan clubs) can afford most of them in a couple of transfer windows. I try to avoid world-class & renowned stars unless they are absolutely prolific. Please comment on or add to the list and/or give your own version.

GOALKEEPER

Fraser Forster, 28 — Stupendously overpowered 6'8" beast of a man. Schmeichel-esque clean sheet deity.
Comparison: At the start, is better in-game than Courtois!

FULLBACKS
Mario, 25 — Underrated. Becomes a staple in the Spain XI in half a season.
Comparison: As good as the highly rated Carvajal in attack AND defense.
Marcel Schmelzer, 28 — Best LB in the game. In-game.
Comparison: The world-class Marcelo is god-like at WBL but Schmelzer dwarfs him at LB.

CENTER-BACKS
Robert Huth, 31 — Inexplicably, the developers see him as the second coming of Nemanja Vidic.
Comparison: As good defensively as Godín and Chiellini. I know. But a frightful passer.
Gareth McAuley, 36 — Gigantic, unplayable and experienced veteran. Though very slow.
Comparison: The higher profile Mertesacker to a T.

DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER
Ljubomir Fejsa, 27 — As good as they come in the role.
Comparison: The equally injury-prone Khedira.

CENTRAL MIDFIELDER
Adrien Silva, 27 — Costly and well renowned in Portugal, but has no peers in-game.
Comparison: Better than another energizer bunny Nainggolan in every role.

ATTACKING MIDFIELDER
Juan Mata, 28 — Modern football’s most iconic position. So many world-class AMs. Also, no ‘unrenowned’ I have encountered outperforms the top-tier. Mata is the best AM I have seen in-game. In fact, he is the best PLAYER in-game in some saves. Play him until his happiness states “Enjoys the team’s style of play” and you’re set. Ballon d’Or winner in 2016-2019 if on-form and healthy. At worst, gets the nomination 5 years in a row. Every **** save.
Comparison: Lionel Messi. In some saves, Mata’s stats outshine those of the very best.

FORWARD
Mauro Icardi, 23 — Expensive, I know. But better in-game than Lewandowski, Suárez, Ronaldo, Messi, Dybala, etc. Actually, a goal-a-game striker.
Comparison: Hybrid of his countrymen — an injury-less Agüero and a steroid-infused Higuaín. Scored many hat-tricks in the last 15 mins when having a 5.5-rated game.

Last edited:
Icardi is better then messi dybala lewa suarez.... ok

Icardi is better then messi dybala lewa suarez.... ok
Not just my view. Look at this reddit thread where different managers discuss the most overrated FM players — spoiler: Icardi is rampant. And many claim he is the best in-game.
https://www.reddit.com/r/footballma...ink_are_fm17_most_op/?st=j6o31l50&sh=d5a49352
Also, this manager has screenshotted Icardi when managed by AI. I quote him "I've never found a player so efficient playing for other clubs." Neither have I.
https://www.reddit.com/r/footballma..._player_so_efficient/?st=j6o320gq&sh=bb3fac91
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

dont get me worng, icardi is a very good striker, but he is not better then messi lewa dybala and etc, and those things on redit are still point of view, but nevermind mate. whatever works for you. thanks for the list of players

Last edited:
dont get me worng, icardi is a very good striker, but he is not better then messi lewa dybala and etc, and those things on redit are still point of view, but nevermind mate. whatever works for you. thanks for the list of players
You're welcome.

View attachment 85156

Kuki better too?

Not just my view. Look at this reddit thread where different managers discuss the most overrated FM players — spoiler: Icardi is rampant. And many claim he is the best in-game.
https://www.reddit.com/r/footballma...ink_are_fm17_most_op/?st=j6o31l50&sh=d5a49352
Also, this manager has screenshotted Icardi when managed by AI. I quote him "I've never found a player so efficient playing for other clubs." Neither have I.
https://www.reddit.com/r/footballma..._player_so_efficient/?st=j6o320gq&sh=bb3fac91
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Haha, I see your point. But, oh my, that is some season! Kuki turns out to be decent in most saves and is easily available early with a 1.7 million release clause. I personally find it slightly disappointing that Messi and Ronaldo rack up only 20 goals a season when simulated by AI, yet they get nominated for the Ballon d'Or because they have a high avg rating. In reality, they outscore most players in Europe, usually. Those should be Messi's stats but in most saves I have only seen them with Dybala, Mata and Icardi types. To be fair, the developers probably foresee a slight inevitable decline in Messi and Ronaldo that probably hasn't been as visible in the real world. I'm sure that there are some cases in the FM algorithm such as Icardi that I've missed where non-world class players seemingly outperform modern legends.

Pal, Lewandowski, Suárez, Ronaldo, Messi, Dybala are much better than Mauro Icardi and claiming opposite is just ridiculous...

Pal, Lewandowski, Suárez, Ronaldo, Messi, Dybala are much better than Mauro Icardi and claiming opposite is just ridiculous...
My list is a revelation of players I feel are overpowered. I expect Icardi to be an elite but not world class forward in-game. Key word: in-game. However, in many saves, he consistently outscores and outplays most world-class strikers in-game (including Ronaldo and Messi!!!), which I find bizarre and interesting enough to write about. Clearly, this is something unusual otherwise why discuss it? If you think there's no one better than Messi and Ronaldo in-game, you may be in for a shock. Check out Genie Scout and see its ratings for the top players by role not pure ability. If I'm not mistaken, lesser players like Mata, Ozil, Icardi, Huth, Lichtsteiner, Howedes, Adrien Silva etc. have better attributes (although lesser CA and PA) than De Bruyne, Lewandowski, Boateng, Alaba, Marcelo, Pogba, Ronaldo, etc. An impact that can be felt very consistently in-game.
It's okay if you completely disagree. I wouldn't have found it astounding & worthwhile if it didn't surprise me too.

Last edited:
Dybala is always the best striker in my saves. Icardi is great but Dybala is just ridiculous.

In my current save, I'm into season 4, and the previous season Dybala has just broken my clubs record of goals in a season (I'm Spurs) and Icardi is 'only' getting 25/30 goals at Man Utd (who finished second to me in the league)

It could well be down to tactics used, but whenever I put Dybala in my tactics, he is insane. That insane I wouldn't even contemplate trying out Icardi.

Dybala is always the best striker in my saves. Icardi is great but Dybala is just ridiculous.

In my current save, I'm into season 4, and the previous season Dybala has just broken my clubs record of goals in a season (I'm Spurs) and Icardi is 'only' getting 25/30 goals at Man Utd (who finished second to me in the league)

It could well be down to tactics used, but whenever I put Dybala in my tactics, he is insane. That insane I wouldn't even contemplate trying out Icardi.
Interesting. I must concede that Dybala has been spectacular in several saves and is a must-get in any FM career. Wouldn't be surprised if he is someone's number one choice. Sounds like he is a revelation in your Spurs save.