[FM18] The Australian Ethnic Challenge

Feliks

Reaction score
The Australian Ethnic Challenge

The aim of this challenge is to win the National Premier League of each federation with a club of a certain ethnicity, for the three major footballing ethnicities in Australia - Italian, Greek and Croatian. For some NPLs, there are multiple clubs of a certain ethnicity, so I've selected one to use, and for some, there are none - that's just something I'll work around.

For a bit of background, Australia's football culture was almost entirely dominated by an influx of immigrants from Southern Europe following World War 2, especially from Italy, Greece and Yugoslavia. Football was seen as a European game and not taken up by the general public, even after Australia qualified for the 1974 World Cup. The country's top flight, the National Soccer League, was comprised of clubs that deep cultural connections to the ethnic communities. Clubs such as South Melbourne Hellas, Adelaide Juventus and Sydney Croatia were successful but the long term future of the game was not guaranteed. After increased violence, dwindling crowds and massive debt, the NSL folded and was replaced by the A-League, with a number of brand new clubs and no more ethnic ties. The ethnic clubs went back to playing in the state leagues, which is where I'll be taking over. For the most part, they now have anglicised names though.

I will be using one manager for each ethnicity - Marco Rossi for Italy, George Papadopoulos for Greece, and Tomas Hrovat for Croatia.

Clubs
View attachment 58627

Rules

1. Each manager should be in a separate league if possible, which makes winning them a lot easier on me.
2. I will use the editor to move the managers around rather than wait for opportunities to arise
3. All players at the club must have a second nationality matching the club's ethnicity, or speak the language. All players who don't meet this requirement will be immediately removed via the editor. Same goes for youth products.
4. Although there is a finals series between each of the NPL champions, I won't be using that as an achievement, and I just want to win the NPL of each federation.

Super excited to follow this! Especially because I feature in the Western Knights squad!

Best of luck to you