[FM20] It Gives Me Wings - A Red Bull Story

itsMurph

Reaction score
rDiJUwB.jpg

"It Gives You Wings!.."

Hello and welcome to my first FM20 save.

Formed in 1987, Red Bull is an Austrian company founded by Dietrich Mateschitz. Formed after being inspired from drinks in the Far East, Dietrich came up with his own energy drink and brand. In 1987, the drink was released in Austria for the first time. Eventually the drink was introduced to the United States and as the year's roll on, and through impressive promotion campaigns and branding, the brand has grown at an exponential rate and now are one of the most well-known brands in the world. But as an energy drinks brand, Red Bull is a brand you wouldn't expect to be a leading sports brand additionally. Just like as their commercial success in the world of energy drinks, Red Bull are now becoming a force within the sports world. With teams ranging from football to motorsports, aswell as other avenues such as sailing, surfing and other 'xtreme' sports, Red Bull's rise in the world of sports is nothing short of monumental.

But how does this relate to Football Manager?...

In 2005, Red Bull purchased Austria Salzburg who were renamed FC Red Bull Salzburg. Additionally, the company looked into German football and decided on Leipzig. Ready for the 2009/10 campaign, RB Leipzig were formed and began their life in the German 5th division. Red Bull themselves stated their ambitions to compete in the German top-flight and Leipzig swiftly moved to a new stadium, named the Red Bull Arena. With investment from the Austrian brand, RB Leipzig finally got their wish when they were promoted to the Bundesliga in 2016. Critics had questioned their application of the 50 + 1 rule which states the club and its members must possess the majority of shares and voting rights. Many Leipzig fans take exception to the accusations of excessive expenditure, instead citing their investment in youth. Overall, Red Bull's association with football has been a hotly contested topic, particularly among German clubs, with Leipzig currently looking good sitting fourth in the Bundesliga.

And this is where the challenge begins....

The idea of the save is to bring the Red Bull clubs to the forefront in the footballing world. RB Salzburg is where my story will begin. The idea/vision with Salzburg is to establish the club in the scene of european football. To help bring Austria as an competitive footballing nation as a way of Red Bull extending their commercial success in the world. I'll also be keeping check the other Red Bull clubs in world football... Will Leipzig need help to overthrow the dominance of Bayern in German football?... Will I decide to take change of scenery later in my managerial career in the USA?.... We'll have to see and hopefully you'll all enjoy the ride.​

Last edited:
Game Setup:

bBgLg9X.jpg

This is my game setup. As you can tell I've loaded pretty much all the players available in start of the game as I wanna adopt a scouting strategy where like in real life, the Red Bull clubs have a tendency to find and sign young prospects with the potential to develop.

As for the leagues I've added all the available leagues in Austria and Germany as they will be the main countries of focus in the save, aswell as the main leagues in Europe. I've additionally added the MLS purely for NY Red Bulls with the potential to send players on loan and maybe as a final destination in the moonlight of my managers career.

I've also disabled the first transfer activity function.​

Last edited:
lWqNvYu.jpg

FC RED BULL SALZBURG

An introduction...

vlW97xK.jpg

Team Report:

GTwJldd.jpg

Club Vision:

qmKXidT.jpg

Domestic success in Austria is required, which with the quality of squad available compared to the rest of the league is expected. The club culture is rather interesting. It's clear to see the owners have an idea to use the clubs facilities to help nuture players to reach their potential. The inclusion of signing both Malian and Ghanaian players is a bit of a weird one, and one i'm looking to remove at the first chance. Out of view, additionally the board want to be competitive in Europe, which I agree whole-heartedly aswell as maintain the nations best youth system, both philosophies I agree with.​

Last edited:
Tactics:

lH6IR12.jpg

Based on the inital team report i've opted to follow the 4-2-2-2 tactic as suggested. Looking at the assistant report additionally, the squad is naturally very fit with a high work ethic, so I'll be looking into a high intensity, pressing style of football with a high defensive line and high engagement. Going forward it was reported that we have a team of good dribblers with the ball, so I'll be asking the team to pass the ball into space and allowing the creative players to run at the defence. Additionally the team are creative, so hopefully allowing them to be more expressive will help unlock those teams who will try to park the bus (which i'm expecting in some league fixtures especially).

Main Squad:

6e7QAzk.jpg

It's notable to see we have a very talented squad at this level, with also many of them being at a young age with room to develop. Only a few criticisms of note. We have a lot of players who are Non-EU. The league has a limit of 7 non-EU players which is already at the limit so potentially they'll be movements in the winter transfer window within those players depending on who under performs. Also I see a slight lack of depth on the wings, important when we've decided on the 4-2-2-2 setup that was recommended, so come January we might look to see what's available out there to help out on that front.

Star Player - Erling Haaland:

B7k8T7L.jpg

A name who in recent times as create a buzz in world football and looks to be the part in Football Manager. Currently only 18, with bags of potential we'll do well to keep him for the extended future. Currently on a 4-year contract, though I expect the bigger names of football to be looking at him very soon. In the meantime, I'll be looking to use him as our pressing forward in our formation as physically his phenomenal at his tender years. His high finishing should lead to a bag full of goals.​

Last edited:
Development Centre:

rfgO8HV.jpg

With the introduction of the development centre in this year's Football Manager, instantly I notice with have a ton of players who are currently out on loan. This is partly due to the strict limits of the Under 18 league where no players over the age of 18 can play in any U18 league games. And with the large amount of youngsters we have who are 19-21, management of loans/playing is going to be vital for those players going forward, especially those who aren't first team ready.

Best Prospect - Ousmane Diakité

ioUKyaX.jpg

Diakité is a young Malian centre midfielder who looks like in the future will be a solid option for us. Physically very good at his age, I can seem him easily having a future in our squad from when he returns from loan at the end of the season from fellow Austrian Bundesliga team SCR Altach. He'll be a solid option for us in the center of the park with the potential of breaking forward from deep in our setup (if we choose to keep the current formation when he returns). Again though, being from Mali, he'll potentally will take one of our quota for Non-EU players in our squad, but we'll deal with it when the time comes.​

Last edited:
Finances:

HAXWIym.jpg

Financally, its not surprising to find we're in a very good position, what with the backing of the commercial juggernaut that is Red Bull. The wage budget is pretty much fully used and will be something I'll be maintaining in my time at the club. I'm not looking at this save to abuse the wage system and currently the highest paid player is currently on £33,000 p/w, so i'll be using that as a guideline for future signings and contract renewals, especially if a player is asking for more than what i'm happy to spend on, I will have to look into the possibility into offloading for a good price.

Stadium & Facilities:

CkspPNT.jpg

DC7Wn7l.jpg

A great setup going forward. Youth will be very important for the club in the future (and the future of Austrian football) and I'll be looking forward to see if we can find and develop from within.

Last edited:
2019/20 - Pre Season:

5v67vxu.jpg

Pre Season results were largely positive. We played some good football in some games with the formation and style of play being used scoring some nice goals (we look especially quick and lethal in the transition phrase of our game). With just the single defeat which came from Besiktas where we conceded 2 early penalties in the first 10 minutes, we brought it back to 2-2 just after half time but with pre season, I wanted to give some of the players a game against better opposition and duly paid for it.

Da4Fy7z.jpg

We also picked up a few niggly injuries. Walke and Prevljak were already injured at the start of the game. Maybe I was pushing them a bit too hard in pre season but ultimately they need to prove to me they are fit enough for the challenge ahead.

Predictions:

D8INBtD.jpg

No surprises we're the bookies favourites for the league.

My first competitve game in charge will be a cup game against third-tier SV Leobendorf in the ÖFB/Austrian Cup. Next update and seasonal updates going forward will be done on a monthly basis, unless something of importance has popped up to show.​

Last edited:
Contract News:

OxHdavb.jpg

Versatile winger Masaya Okugawa from Japan just signed a new contract for 4 years. With his original contract of £4,100 p/w that was set to expire at the end of the current season, going forward he will be a valuable asset to the squad.

Player Profile - Masaya Okugawa:

TTrXxQI.jpg

A capable and flexible player adept on either wing and either footed, will help bring some creative flair on the flanks, with some potential to improve.​

Last edited:
July 2019:

mP9vSwZ.jpg

LRbQ7Qn.jpg

Only the single league game in July with the season opener against media predicted main title contenders LASK. A stellar 2nd half performance after LASK taking the lead in the first half (there may of been a bit of shouting from me at the team talk at half time). Also fielded a weakened side in the cup with many players picked who are on the cusp of the first team to prove themselves to me for the future. Unfortunately it was a very average performance from them where we kept missed opportunites to put the pull in the back of the net against a team we should be comfortably beating.​

Last edited:
Champions League Group Stage Draw (2019/20):

xvOy1k5.jpg

We've drawn basically the group of death. Initial reaction is we'll take one game at a time and see where that will put us at the end, but my head is saying we'll be fortunate to even get 3rd and get a Europa League spot.​

Last edited:
August 2019:

2wJvqI8.jpg

PlqGvSL.jpg

Overall, a solid start to the campaign with 5 wins coming from 6. The defeat away to unfancied TSV Hartberg though will still be a reminder that every game in this league won't go our way afted they scored a quickfire double in the 32nd and 33rd minute to take the lead. Despite our 21 shots, only 6 were on target and were made to regret those missed chances. Also a thrilling game away to SV Mattersburg after being 3-0 up within the first 17 minutes proved we still need to cut some complacency issues in our game.

Red Bull Salzberg Player of the Month - Erling Haaland:

8LMmbV8.jpg

No surprise on who was the best player for us in August, the kid has been on fire since the start of the season netting 7 goals for us in August. If he keeps this up it won't be long until Europe's elite teams come looking. Also want shout out to 31 year old Austrian midfielder Zlatko Junuzovic. He has had only 1 assist to his name but with a 7.64 average rating this month, his been key to our play in the centre of the park with his no-nonsense, hard working displays.

Last edited:
September 2019:

oKr03vY.jpg

WLywhcB.jpg

Another great month in the league, we've been looking a lot more solid at the back as now the squad is pretty much familiar with the playstyle. TSV Hartberg (the team to give us our only defeat of our league campaign so far) are the surprise package so far managing not to let us pull away in the league table just yet. Also, despite the defeat, the CL game at Bayern gave me some confidence. We took the lead early and looked good until after praising him last month, Junuzovic gets himself sent off for a second yellow in the 52nd minute in which Bayern turned up the pressure and winning the game as expected.

Red Bull Salzburg Player of the Month - Hwang Hee-Chan:

iBMOlAF.jpg

Not to be outshone by his strike partner, 23 year old Korean striker Hwang Hee-Chan proved his attacking worth with 5 goals this month. Our main striking partnership will be a key element in our success this season going forward.​

Last edited:
Facilities Upgrades:

cIiaQI7.jpg

j91xtbL.jpg

3iCDGJ2.jpg

Major upgrades to all our facilities were requested and accepted by the board. Great news. Both the training and youth facilities should be completed by November 2020 next season, while the data analysis upgrade should be finished sometime around the start of November this season. Important for our future!​

Contract News:

gWNcHRA.jpg

21 year old Cameroonian Jérôme Onguéné has signed a new 5 year contract with a wage rise from £6,750 p/w to £15,000 p/w. Currently an ever present figure at the back, we are glad to see him commit his loyalty to the club for the foreseeable future.

Player Profile - Jérôme Onguéné

LV489us.jpg

Strong, powerful and no nonsense. A man mountain at the heart of the defence who I believe, with the right training, can furfil his potential and has the ingredients of becoming a future captain at the club. Also has dual nationality of France, so doesn't take a slot in our Non-EU quota for the squad.

October 2019:

q2ArcnD.jpg

MrYctst.jpg

mbfHM7E.jpg

The winning run continues in the league now with 8 games won in a row. Some good solid performances from the whole of the squad as I've rotated a few times in order to keep the squad as fresh as possible for the Champions League games. Speaking of which, the Champions League has been pretty tough on us. After the loss in Munich last month we were already on the back foot. A frustrating 0-0 draw at home to Inter in a game were I do believe we should of edged the game would of made things interesting. Then the home game with Madrid really showed the gulf in class between ourselves and Europe's elite with a comfortable victory for them.

Red Bull Salzburg Player of the Month - Patrick Farkas

ylQNOJN.jpg

Patrick Farkas has been a revelation this month holding his own at right back with providing some great, efficient displays at right back. Defensively solid, a great team player and one who's always ready to give it all every game.​

Last edited:
Injury News:

lrtrmJv.jpg

A calf muscle injury will see in-form Zlatko Junuzovic out for up to a month. Luckily we have a replacement made in Hungarian youngster Dominik Szoboszlai who'll now have the opportunity to properly shine in Junuzovic's absence. It's a shame. Junuzovic who is in his twilight year's of his career has performed admirably so far in this season and has been keeping out the younger talent on merit, but now with age not on his side, is it time now for him to pass on the touch to someone younger?...​

Last edited:
November 2019:

w89mNN8.jpg

9zjf72r.jpg

TpL3p67.jpg

Our worst month in charge so far. A risky strategy in fielding a rotated side at LASK ultimately proved to backfire as not only did we lose in our worse performance of the league so far but the game at Madrid was just too much for us regardless. Morale took a dip in confidence as we were guaranteed not to qualify from out of the group stage after that result and a shaky 2-2 draw away to lowly WSG Tirol was worrying. Luckily, the performance at home with 2nd placed TSV Hartberg (in which striker Sékou Koïta who replaced the tired Erling Haaland got a hat trick) eased our doubts. We then somehow survived and got the draw with Bayern to give us a slim, slim chance of getting into the next phase of the Europa League. All we need to do is go to the San Siro and beat Inter... easy right??...

Red Bull Salzberg Player of the Month - Andreas Ulmer

a07z5tQ.jpg

Experienced heads proved valuable in the time of need. Ulmer played 3 games this month and helped the club to restore any doubts of confidence after the start to the month we had. Club captain, a loyal servant of the club having being a mainstay at RB Salzberg for the last 12 years and now currently learning his training badges as I might potentially look into bringing him into our coaching staff after he decides to call time on his playing career.​

Last edited:
Contract News:

407xVA6.jpg

Talented youngster Dominik Szoboszlai has signed a new 5 year contract with the club. With a increase from £4,100 to £14,000, I expect big things from the Hungarian international going forward. Despite having interest from clubs at the start of the season such as Man City and Bournemouth, aswell as current interest from Wolves, I'm happy Szoboszlai is happy to extend his time here and hopefully fulfil his high potential.

Player Profile - Dominik Szoboszlai

Hb1HW0F.jpg

At the tender age of 19, Dominik Szoboszlai is already an accomplished player in the middle and a natural successor to Junuzovic. A creative outlet with a keen eye for a pass, I'll be looking for him to gasp games by the neck and provide his team mates the ammunition with his creative passing going forward.​

Champions League Update:

x1uUQiI.jpg

We did it!... We managed to get the win needed to secure 3rd place in our CL group and advance to the next phase in the Europa League. The team played valiantly and put in a hard working performance where we should of scored more. Haaland had a bad day at the office in front of goal but his substitute, Bosnian player Smail Prevljak made the breakthrough in the 90th minute. The drama didn't end there as in injury time, Inter striker Lautaro Martinez was one-on-one with our keeper, but snatched it wide...

9DSh258.jpg

ameCX9E.jpg

Some big surprises and scalps in the group stage. Atalanta outperformed expectations in Group B by winning the group consisting the likes of PSG and Borussia Dortmund. Juventus have to settle for Europa League action for their rest of the the European campaign after finishing 3rd behind Tottenham and Valencia in Group E. And FC Kobenhavn managed to oust FC Porto and qualify for the knockout phase by coming 2nd in Group C.​