Year Founded: 1883

Fierce Rivals: /

Other Rivals: Aston Villa, Leicester

Finances: Okay

Average Ticket Price: £23

Average Season Ticket Price: £345

Season Ticket Holders: 3,100

Media Prediction: 23rd​

Following eleven seasons in the second-tier Football League Championship, Coventry was relegated to League One in 2012, the first time they had been in the third tier since 1964. In 2017, there was a further relegation, with the club dropping to the fourth tier of English football for the first time since 1959. They bounced straight back to League One at the first time of asking. Now they are back in the Sky Bet Championship and face what could be a very challenging season!

They had some great players along those years including the likes of Steve Ogrizovic, Dion Dublin, Noel Whelan, Darren Huckerby, Gary McAllister, Youssef Chippo & Robbie Keane.

Coventry City played at Highfield Rd, which in 1981 became the first all-seater stadium in English football. In the late 1990s, the club's directors decided that a larger stadium was necessary, and so chose a site in the Rowley's Green area of the city. The 32,609-capacity Ricoh Arena was opened in August 2005. So far this season they are ground sharing with Birmingham at St Andrew's.

Coventry is my local team and really if many football beliefs are to be followed should be the team that I support. As much as my Mother may have tried when I was young. The memory of the Class of 92 being developed attracted me towards Manchester United. But still, I follow Coventry City and have felt sorry for the downfall in recent years. League 2 is not where Coventry City belong, but it’s going to take a lot to get them back to the Premier League. Can I be the manager to take them back to the heights of the Premier League? Well, we’ll have to wait and see.

Current real-life club owners Otium Entertainment Group, linked with previous owners SISU, who has run the club like a schoolchild selling chewing gum at school. Poor business plans and decisions have made Coventry City a club in which the fans will protest to get the current owners out of the club. The club’s owners have spent more time appealing court cases than they have running the football club. At the moment in time, the club has no idea where they are going to be playing their football next season. There is a very limited budget to spend on players. One glimmer of light is the matter of the youth teams. They are signs that the youngsters could help the team in the future.

Can I be the manager to take them back to the heights of the Premier League? Well, we’ll have to wait and see...

1605731893221.png
Obviously, with the start of any Football Manager save, the creation of yourself depicted as some form of an avatar is the first challenge. Aligning those dots onto your face has to be the most that I have concentrated at the start of an FM save. Then there is the task of choosing my managerial style After going through the process of making my face and choosing to focus on youth development I am set to go!

Once I’ve created what seems to be a lookalike of myself, it's on the managerial profile. At the start of this save, I’m going to start from the bottom and as the save moves forward, I’ll aim to take a few of the coaching badges to improve my managerial attributes.

1605731426381.png

So here we go, I have taken over at Coventry City signing a one-year deal worth £3,000 per week.

1605732007047.png

1605732090593.png

Looking at the facilities, I will be looking at utilising the youth facilities going forward. Although being the Sky Bet Championship will see more in terms of finances but Coventry isn't a club that are loaded so I'll be looking at improving the youth recruitment so that more players can come through the academy.

1605732313359.png

Previously, I would say that Coventry are a club with minimal history having won the FA Cup in 1987. However, recently the club has won the Football league Trophy in 2017 and won the League Two play-offs in 2018. Most recently they won League One despite it being rewarded in the middle of the pandemic Coventry were many points ahead in the league.

1605732609669.png

It does look like I'll be facing a challenge with Coventry now in the Championship. They are predicted to finish 23rd in the league...

In term of the club vision, I have made the right choice to focus on youth development with the club's culture being focused around developing players using the club's youth system. In terms of competitions this season, the board would like me to fight bravely to avoid relegation which reflects nicely on the club's media prediction. For the FA Cup, the board would just like the team to be competitive and for the EFL Cup, the board would like to reach the Second Round.
1605732726431.png

I'll leave the introduction there. But before I go, let's look at what is come during pre-season. As always on FM, but slightly changed on FM21 there will be the intra-squad friendly then we are heading to Austria to play SG Traiskirchen/Tribusw., SK Rapid Wien, Arbeiter Sport Klub Kottingbrunn and FC Mauerwerk. In the next update, I'll show how I did in pre-season, what tactics I have developed and my personal predictions for the season ahead. Some news though, I have disabled first season transfers so there will be no additions to the club.