CoxieFM

Reaction score
slide1-13.jpg

INTRODUCTION

Welcome FM fans to a brand new blog series on titled “Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge.”

Before we get started I’d like to say “Thank You” for taking the time out of your day to read this new blog series and if you are new to my blog page than “Welcome” and please click here to my page and check out my previous FM blog saves.

Right, back to the new series…..

SIR ALEX FERGUSON CHALLENGE

The Sir Alex Ferguson (SAF) Challenge involves you simulating the game until the 6th November and you taking over whatever club that is placed 19th in the Premier League on that day, pretty much like Sir Alex Ferguson did in 1986 when he took over the reins as Manchester United manager.

I haven’t done many challenges on FM, a part of the Director of Football (DoF) challenge on FM20, so I am looking forward seeing who I will get as I think it’s pot luck really for a club because I have worked it out as when you get to that date your only 10 games into the season.

Also, I’d like to say I am not a Manchester United, however I have massive respect for Sir Alex – a true legend and one of the greatest managers in the English game. Also I am not a fan of any of the club in the Premiership so I am not fussed which club I get given.

Anyway back to the SAF Challenge….

I need to;

• Stay at this one club – The Scotsman managed Man United for 26 years.
  • Aim to bring Youth Players through – “Class of 92“.
  • Persuade long term players to become part of your backroom staff.
Goals of the Challenge;

• Win a Domestic Cup/Trophy within 4 seasons – Ferguson won his first Cup vs Crystal Palace in 89/90.
  • Win a League title within 7 seasons – Ferguson won his first title in 92/93.
  • Win a League and Cup double within 8 seasons – Ferguson won his first double with United in 93/94.
  • Win a League, Cup and the Champions League within 13 seasons – Ferguson won the infamous treble in 98/99.
Total number of trophies that the Scotsman won during his managerial career at Old Trafford;

• Premier League (13)
  • FA Cup (5)
  • League Cup (4)
  • Community Shield (10)
  • UEFA Champions League (2)
  • UEFA Europa League (1) (Replaces the Cup Winners Cup)
  • UEFA Super Cup (1)
  • FIFA Club World Cup (2) (One Replaces Intercontinental Cup)
image-24.png

A few rules to follow when you take up this Football Manager Challenge;

• No usage of the in-game editor – Which I never have on anyway.
  • No buying or selling from/to your direct rival. – This depends on the club I get really. Plus it’s difficult if one of the so called top six club come in and offer you £100m + for a player, I don’t think anyone would reject it in this day and age.
  • No more than 11 signings per season, of which only 8 can play in the first team that season. Depends on the club this rule, If I need a complete rebuild.
  • Spending restrictions. I will have no spending restriction on due to the transfer market is in a different world than the mid 80s through to the 2013 during Sir Alex’s time.
  • Promote as many youth players as you can and have a minimum of 1 player promoted from the youth academy in every single matchday squad. (The likes of Beckham, Giggs, Scholes & others were all part of the youth system and went on to become legends at the club)
  • Promote at least 1 new player to the youth academy to the senior team every single season. I would say the last two are really joint in some ways and I would have to see what club I get first to see if it’s achievable, well definitely the one with a youth player in the matchday squad.
  • Sacked or Relegation. Don’t know – maybe let the readers decide or I just add myself back as the manager and just carry on the save and add the information onto the style of graphic above which is titled “The Impossible Dream” and complete 26/27 seasons with the one club.
STARTING THE SAVE

As you can see below; Active nations & league is England down to the Vanarama North & South leagues and also the prevent use of the In-Game Editor.

image-25.png

As you can see, I am holidaying until the 6th November.

image-26.png

COXIEFM SIGNS FOR

The day has arrived and I have found out the club I am going to manage on this series (You guys already know this due to the thumbnail, but I didn’t at this moment of time revamping this blog for you to read]) and there were two teams tied on six points each but it went down to had the worst goal difference.

So I am off the West Midlands to manage Wolverhampton Wanderers….

To be honest, I think I have dropped really lucky with this club, I did think it was going to be the likes of Brentford, Watford or Norwich. But, then again your only ten games in so it could have been anyone really. But, If it would have been any of the current top six team in the Premiership or even Newcastle, then I would have rolled that dice against and restarted the save again. Also, a fellow blogger (Dan Liang) is doing a SAF Challenge with Brentford, so please go and check him out.

image-27.png

I have signed a two-year deal with the club and the first thing to do is getting them out of the bottom three places and move up that Premier league table. Sir Alex Ferguson managed to finished 11th in the first season so that will be my target and hopefully not get sack….

image-28.png

THE STORY SO FAR

Wolves
are currently on a five games without a win in the league and my first match is on the 6th November against top of the league Chelsea. It had to be top of the league in the first game, why couldn’t it be a six pointer game against a relegation club. But fingers crossed FMer’s.

The only win so far this season has come in the Carabao Cup 2nd round tie against Fleetwood but then were dumped out in the third round on penalties against league two side Exeter City.

wolverhampton-wanderers_-senior-squad.png
wolverhampton-wanderers_-senior-squad-2.png

FMSCOUT

I have been on FM Scout website to see what Premiership kits were available to download and I came across these Premier League Fantasy Kits done by FMCustomKits. Please go check his kits out, they are amazing and also done kits for me in the pass including kits for my nonleague save Maine Road FC.

image-30.png

Being a Walsall fan, this is going to be interesting save as that I am managing our Black Country rivals. But, however I will try my best and hope to win silverware and if I can get the mighty saddlers as a feeder club then I will help my club out too. Win, win in my eyes…..

image-29.png

In the meantime, please feel free to leave a comment with any feedback and questions and don’t forget to check out all the other blogs on here and you can follow me on Twitter here.

See you next time….

slide1-14.jpg