robbo9292

Reaction score
i heard it costs this year is it true? Even though cheatings bad for you i ****** needed this right now to fix finances, not happy if it does cost, i've been out the game for a while and come back to find that out

Sadly, it's true. Heard it's $4.99 now, but I got it at the beginning of the year for just 69p.

I completely refuse to pay for it. In fact, if SI took them to court over it, they would probably win. This has happened with many games over the years. It is not legal to charge money for something like this, and there is a precedent already out there for other games.

Just for finances?
Google for FM13 Real-Time Financial Editor. That one's free.

v It's definitely a legal issue for mods, but cheating tools seem like more of a grey area...

Last edited:
This has happened with many games over the years. It is not legal to charge money for something like this, and there is a precedent already out there for other games.

Are you positive about this?

Are you positive about this?

I know that for online MMO's, companies making third party addons and other kinds of software have lost in court on the ability to charge for their software.

And just a few years ago, didn't they try charging for the main fan-made tactical guide to FM, and a whole site was shut down over it? Am I remembering incorrectly?

I know that for online MMO's, companies making third party addons and other kinds of software have lost in court on the ability to charge for their software.

And just a few years ago, didn't they try charging for the main fan-made tactical guide to FM, and a whole site was shut down over it? Am I remembering incorrectly?

Completely different situations though, the vast majority of MMO's have a model based on income from either giving the software out for free and then selling things within the game or charging for monthly subscriptions. In this case, any third parties are having a direct impact on the business model of the software creator.

In the case of FMRTE, the effect on the business model of SI is practically none existent and things are different these days, it can be quite costly to "go after" someone meaning any benefit is outweighed by the costs involved. However, there is such a grey area on these things anyway.

I can understand people don't want to pay but also see any gripes as sour grapes, the only complaint is not about SI taking legal action, it's because you don't want to pay. :p I suppose that an ideal model in this case would be for the software to be made available for free, but giving an opportunity to give donations as an appreciation of their work. I also see it from their point of view though, creating programs such as this are not easy (if they were, you would have done one) and can see the creator inputting hundreds of hours to get the finished software. They also then are expected to upgrade their software immediately by the community after an official patch, even when giving the software for free so you can probably see why they feel they deserve something back.

You're completely overlooking one thing.
Back in '09, SI issued a cease and desist order when Genie Scout started asking for donations.

So it's kind of odd to think that SI doesn't care about it. So far they've overlooked FMRTE, but I wouldn't be sure that it'll last. Especially now that they're openly selling it, instead of calling it donationware.

Last edited:
I'm not overlooking it, I said things are different these days and many recent legal cases have left a myriad of grey areas.

Let's not forget, Genie Scout still want donations for a "full" product.

I'm not overlooking it, I said things are different these days and many recent legal cases have left a myriad of grey areas.

Let's not forget, Genie Scout still want donations for a "full" product.

I tried to donate a kidney for the full version but my offer was refused as they found it no use pickled.
( old joke I know)