Follow your spirit, upon this charge Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!

Reaction score
qe2j.png

Roy-Hodgson-008.jpg

Roy Hodgson resigns as England manager
Hodgson cites media interference as reason of resignation
Roy Hodgson has resigned as England manager after fourteen months in the job. Hodgson was the suprise appointment to replace Fabio Capello after Harry Redknapp was the clear favourite for the job. Redknapp had support from managers and playing staff to take the job but the FA opted for Hodgson who was West Brom manager at the time. The decision caused worldwide outrage after Redknapp's snub with most believing Hodgson was selected due to a smaller compensation fee than Redknapp. Then FA Chairman David Bernstein confirmed only Hodgson had been approached causing more outrage. Harry Redknapp even criticised the FA for not choosing him and he ruled himself out of ever becoming England manager. Hodgson said in a press conference;
It is with sadness and regret that I announce I have tendered my resignation as England manager. It was an honour to be given the opportunity to manage my country and that is something I will always owe the FA for. I would like to thank them for choosing me to take over from Fabio Capello despite myself not being the people's choice. I am resigning due to the media's constant scrutiny of my job at England. When I got the job, I was criticised because I was not Harry Redknapp. I was criticised because I wanted penalties against Italy in the Euros, when there was a chance to criticize me the media would take it. I would like to thank the players and the staff for their support of me and I hope one day to return to management. As for my successor, I have made my choice clear to the FA and I hope they will take him into consideration. I will not be answering any questions.
The person Hodgson is referring to is believed to be Ray Lewington. Lewington worked with Hodgson at Fulham and was Hodgson's assistant manager. Whether Lewington will take the manager's job or leave is not yet confirmed. Gareth Southgate and Gary Neville are outside contenders.

qe2j.png

Gary-Neville-FA.jpg

England appoint Gary Neville as manager
England coach promoted to manager
Gary Neville has been appointed England manager replacing Roy Hodgson. Neville was one of the favourites for the job and beat Gareth Southgate and Ray Lewington to the job. It is believed Roy Hodgson personally recommended Ray Lewington for the job and that Lewington's interview cost him the opportunity. Lewington has since left the England setup with Gareth Southgate to remain England Under-21 manager. Neville proudly spoke of his appointment to the press earlier today.
I never expected to be England manager, I've got the coaching licenses but I've never managed a team before. It's an honour to be sat here today and I'm honoured that the press and the players supported my campaign to become the England manager. My objective is to build a team based on playing skill and not on reputation. Yes, Steven Gerrard will remain our captain but if he fails to perform for Liverpool than he won't be called up. It's as simple as that. I want to bring in youngsters who can work together to build a dominant team.
Neville's first friendly is against Ecuador on the 14th of August.