Football Association appoints David Bernstein as new chairman

Mike.

Staff member
Reaction score
Football Association appoints David Bernstein as new chairman
• Former Man City chairman approved unanimously by FA board
• Bernstein to begin work in January

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/22/football-association-david-bernstein-chairman

The former Manchester City chairman, David Bernstein, will hope to bring stability to the Football Association. Photograph: The FA

David Bernstein has been appointed as the new chairman of The Football Association, the governing body announced today.

Bernstein, the former Manchester City chairman, was recommended by the nominations committee – chaired by Phil Gartside and consisting of Michael Game, Tony Kleanthous and John Ward and was approved unanimously by the board. All that remains is for the FA Council to endorse the appointment at its meeting on 25 January 2011. The 67-year-old, was on the board of Manchester City for nine years, and spent five years as chairman. His background is in chartered accountancy with a long career in business, serving on the boards of the French Connection Group, Ted Baker and Blacks Leisure, where he has been chairman since 1996. He has been a director of Wembley Stadium since 2003 andc hairman since 2008. He is also the president of the National Association of Disabled Supporters.

The FA's acting chairman, Roger Burden, said: "The board was united in its view that David would make an excellent choice as Chairman of the organisation. I have worked with David for some years and have always been impressed by his professionalism and integrity. We look forward to working with David to take the FA forward in the best interests of football at all levels across the country."

Bernstein said: "I am honoured to be asked to take on the role as chairman of the FA. It is a tremendous challenge but I look forward to working with the board, the staff at the FA and everyone in football from local playing fields to Wembley and the international stage. "

One of Bernstein's first major tasks will be to drive forward work on the national football centre at Burton and implement a review of international player development carried out by the FA general secretary, Alex Horne, and Sir Trevor Brooking, the FA's director of football development.

Gartside said: "David was the outstanding candidate for the role. He combines strong business and leadership skills with tremendous insight and knowledge of football."

Last edited:
Erm, I just posted this as thread myself lol. Can it be closed please-must have done it at same time. Sorry lol

But anyway once again they screwed David Dein and granted chairman status to Bernstein
FA are just as bad as FIFA sometimes...
Guess All Those Air Miles Meant Nothing

I think Becks will be appointed in the future at some point. But hopefully, after the Euros, hopefully he'll appoint a proper manager. The time to rebuild the countries squad has to begin now

Erm, I just posted this as thread myself lol. Can it be closed please-must have done it at same time. Sorry lol
lol done. you were one thread behind so they went up almost at the same time, but in response your question re: capello. Shouldnt sack him becuase we cant afford it, but should Inter come calling we shouldnt put up too much of a fight, having said that, we should at least have a successor lined up first

Yeah, forgot about the money side of the appointment. God knows how much of a payoff he'll get. Doesn't bear thinking about. Hardest point will be getting the successor. As much I love Redknapp, sometime tactically, he get's it wrong at club level. But at least the players would respect him a lot more. Just hoping another foreign manager isn't appointed. There are some really quality foreign managers out there, but can they get the best out of the players? Will be interesting to see what happens.

Thanks for closing thread too

Also have to agree about Dein being shafted. the argument against him was his age, at 67 he'd have to step down in 3 years.

Now tell me how old Bernstein is again?...

Also have to agree about Dein being shafted. the argument against him was his age, at 67 he'd have to step down in 3 years.

Now tell me how old Bernstein is again?...

Bernstein is 67 isn't he? Or is he younger? oO)