Football is the game, Money is how we keep score.

Seano

Reaction score
Good afternoon folks and welcome to my story thread! This is only my second save in FM16 so i'm still relatively new to this years version although I have racked up a lot of hours on previous versions!

Just a little information about this career i'm about to embark on ( or try to at least ).

It's inspired by DerbyJack's thread http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ories/352553-football-managing-mercenary.html and i'm going to take a few of his ideas.

Basically the aim of this save is to get as much money as possible and get to the highs of Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp, Arsene Wenger etc. in terms of wages.

I'm starting off unemployed with no coaching badges and Sunday League experience, to start off i have all major leagues loaded (England, Spain, Germany, France,Italy) but only England playable for the first season until i get some experience in the lower leagues of England(the rest are view-only).

A few rules:
1) I can't negotiate wages whenever i'm offered a contract by any club, which means if i get offer £10 a week in my first job i've gotta accept it.
2) If a new club comes along and wants my services i have to accept the contract immediately if the wages offered are greater than my current wages.
3)If i'm interviewed by 2 or more clubs and all of them want my services, i have to accept the contract with the highest wages.

So now that the formalities are out of the way , lets introduce our manager.
It's my pleasure to introduce Micilín O'Shea! Born in Galway in 1989, Micilín has just dropped out of college after giving up on Business & Economics to head across the Irish Sea to England to pursue his dream in Football Management!

View attachment 188162

I've already skipped forward a few months until a few job opportunities came along, and will update when i've got myself a club!

Wish me luck, and hope DerbyJack doesn't mind too much that i pretty much stole his idea :p

I don't mind at all!

Best of luck dude, hope you have more luck then I am currently

Cheers DerbyJack!
________________________________________________________________________________________________
View attachment 188146
Lowestoft Town

Well here we are, my first job in the Football Management industry starts in the Vanarama National League North, the lowest level available but it's a start!

View attachment 188145
A club with a lot history, founded in 1884, Lowestoft have a handful of trophies in the cabinet. Lowestoft have experienced their most success in recent years after entering the National League at the end of the 2013/2014 season after winning promotion through the play-offs in the Isthmian Premier League.

So let's have a look at our squad:
View attachment 188144

A nice mixture of experience and youth. I've got a few decent players to work with here, but then again there's room for improvement, lacking in the full back department. Plenty of options up front so it will be interesting to see how the strike partnership turns out.

Lets have a look at our top 5 players according to the Assistant Manager.
Jack Ainsley
View attachment 188142
I did mention we were lacking in the full back department but Jack Ainsley is an exception, possessing decent stats for a player at this level. He looks a fairly pacey and naturally fit full back with decent crossing.

Jake Reed
View attachment 188139
Decent looking striker with a bit of pace and acceleration, could make a decent poacher out of this fella.

Danny Crow
View attachment 188137
This guy is a coach aswell as a Striker, he's more of a hard worker and more defensive so could be used in a Defensive Forward role.

Ryan Jarvis
View attachment 188136
Jarvis looks a decent Target Man and could make a decent partnership with Jake Reed. Decent at heading and a good first touch with a good work rate, this guy could become the focal point of any attacks.

Egli Kaja
View attachment 188135
Decent looking winger but lacks in the crossing aspect. He's another hard worker with decent stats for pace and natural fitness and he's not afraid to put his foot in.

After reading through the squad i've come up with this tactic, which hopefully will bring me some success.
View attachment 188132
I'll need to dip into the transfer market a bit and improve some areas such as the wingers and full backs. More than likely free transfers.

Now that we've had a look through the squad and tactics, let's have a look at where we are in terms of league position and upcoming fixtures.

View attachment 188131
16th after 12 games isn't too bad considering all the board want is a mid-table finish so hopefully i can get off to a good start and kick-on.

View attachment 188129

Seeing as i'm near the end of October, the next update will be including October & November. Most of these teams are placed ahead of me in the league so it won't be easy but fingers crossed i can get off to a good start.

View attachment 188099
Lowestoft Town

View attachment 188098
Not the worst of starts to life in the Vanarama National North. A fairly even encounter which we got fortunate in with a dubious penalty decision. Harrogate had the better of the chances but a draw was a fair result

View attachment 188097
It's nice to get my first win early on in my Lowestoft career. Bradford were the better side and probably deserved at least a point but a last second goal from Daniel Crow insured we went home with all the spoils.

View attachment 188096
With one draw and one win in the league so far i suppose it's only natural to complete the trio with a narrow loss against Tamworth. In truth we were poor, we didn't really threaten them. They got a fortunate goal after a mix up at the back.

View attachment 188095
A game we really should be winning. Solihull Moors are one of the weaker teams in the league and we should of given them a good beating at our home ground. We started off fairly well but after scoring early in the second half we took the foot off the gas and allowed them to come back into the match giving them a share of the spoils.

View attachment 188094
What a game and what a performance away from home against a good Gloucester side. It was a bit of a ding-dong battle and it really could of gone either way. I'm proud of this win, a lot of time was spent tweaking the tactic throughout this game.

View attachment 188093
A deserved loss against the top side in the league. Had a few chances but nothing of note. Stockport deserved all 3 points and i can't have too many complaints about the result.

View attachment 188091
What a way to respond after losing to Stockport. I only wish it had been in the league, the 5 goals would of been nice to add to the goal difference. A superb performance from everyone, particularly Jake Reed and Danny Crow. Here's to hoping for a nice little cup run to help the finances.

View attachment 188089
So after picking up 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses in my first 6 league games we find ourselves sitting 17th, which sounds a bit bleak but i'm sort of happy with my first 6 games. The tactic seems to be working fairly well and with a few more tweaks i can hopefully steady the results slightly. There's only 7 points between us and the playoff spots so theres still a long season ahead.

View attachment 187661
Lowestoft Town FC
DECEMBER
Lowestoft Town FC vs Alfreton
View attachment 187659
A good result but a fairly poor performance in terms of finishing our chances. An early goal that we managed to hold onto for the rest of the match gave us all three points. Rather fortunate to keep a clean sheet as Alfreton had a few chances themselves but a good performance for the man between the sticks helped us along

Lowestoft Town FC vs Rushall
View attachment 187658
Another narrow but well needed and well deserved win. A good defence kept Rushall to long range efforts, which weren't too much of a problem for Glehill in the goals. Danny Crow adds another goal to his tally. Another clean sheet and more importantly another 3 points keeps us on track to a top half finish.

Lowestoft Town FC vs Boston United
View attachment 187657
A fairly even match but yet again our lack of finishing was our downfall. We had a number of chances but an injury to our top scorer Jake Reed didn't help our cause as we see our first loss of the month. A poor period in the second half saw Boston score two goals which ultimately was our demise.

Corby vs Lowestoft Town FC
View attachment 187656
Glad to get back to winning ways after a loss to Boston. Our first and last away game of the month gives us another 3 points and makes sure we finish the month in 11th position, hopefully next month will be a similar one. I'm fairly happy with 9 points from a possible 12.

View attachment 187655
Lowestoft Town FC
JANUARY
View attachment 187654
Had a chance to get one back on Boston United this time away from home but fell a bit short. We got off to a decent start,scoring just before the half time but some complacency in the second half let Boston back into the match. Annoyed at conceding a late goal, and again our lack of finishing added to a poor performance.

Lowestoft Town FC vs Worcester
View attachment 187653
Back to winning ways against a decent Worcester side. A poor first half with a few chances but another injury to Jarvis means that we are lacking up front again. Second half was a lot better, scoring early on and building on it again with Danny Crow and Jake Reed nodding two crosses in.

Gateshead vs Lowestoft Town FC
View attachment 187652
A ding-dong battle against a strong Gateshead team, who are the division above us. We did extremely well matching them and even taking the lead. We could have won the match but poor defending meant that Gateshead scored a very late equaliser when took us to extra time which Gateshead dominated and dumped us out of the FA Trophy.

Lowestoft Town FC vs AFC Fylde
View attachment 187651
A good performance against one of the teams in and around the play-offs and a good chance to climb the table a little but we had to settle for a draw. We're finally starting to score a few goals but we're leaking some very soft goals at the back so i'll have to try and find a happy medium.

FC United vs Lowestoft Town FC
View attachment 187650
Another great chance to climb the table against one of the teams in the top half but again we stumble, even with an extra man. 3 goals in the space of 6 minutes favoured FC United. We had plenty of chances to peg them back and even take the lead but some frustrating finishing let us down.

Lowestoft Town FC vs Stalybridge Celtic
View attachment 187649
A poor first half favoured Stalybridge, who were in truth the better side over the 90 minutes, but a better second half saw us take the lead but again, poor defending cost us a goal and more importantly 2 points and with the league getting tighter, and a poor month we're starting to slide down the league and find ourselves in 13th.

View attachment 187648

LOWESTOFT TOWN FC
View attachment 187563

Harrogate vs Lowestoft
View attachment 187562
We faced a good Harrogate side away from home with a very weakened side, with Jake Reed, and Danny Crow out of the game injured. We were very fortunate to not only get the win but keep a clean sheet. This was a brilliant result, with Bradley Woods-Garness stepping up from the U-21's and scoring in the absence of Jake Reed.

Curzon Ashton vs Lowestoft
View attachment 187561
A game i was looking to win fairly comfortably turned into a well-earned draw. Curzon Ashton put in a good shift and attacked us from the off. A team lying in the relegation zone, they threw everything at me. Anytime i would equalize they would go up and score another. Another decent point.

Lowestoft vs Bradford Park Avenue
View attachment 187560
Back to winning ways, albeit it was't easy. A game in which Bradford dominated for most of the game, but we had a good spell midway through the first half where we held a 2 goal lead but Bradford scored just before halftime. The second half was all Bradford but some goalkeeping of a top class from Gledhill ensured we won all 3 points.

Lowestoft vs Hednesford
View attachment 187559
What.A.Game and what a result against the table-toppers Hednesford. I experimented a little bit here, playing more of a possession , short-passing game to try and limit Hednesford's chance at goal and we seem to catch them off-guard. 3 great goals and some great passing made sure we controlled the game for the majority.

Chorley vs Lowestoft
View attachment 187558
I tried to apply the same tactic i played against Hednesford and although we had a fair bit of possession we failed to create any real chances. Chorley had one good shot on goal and of course, it found the back of the net. Not the best way to finish the month especially after a great win in the previous game , but i can't complain overall as we had a great month which sees us climbing as far as 9th, just 3 points off the play-offs. Can i dream?

View attachment 187557

Should have an update either later tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

Looking good, Been reading it all. So basically let me get this straight. You're starting low with whatever team. Then if another team offers you a job you must accept. And your plan is to work up and get to as high management as you can and earn as much money as you can as a manager ( for yourself not your team) ?? Sounds interesting :)

Looking good, Been reading it all. So basically let me get this straight. You're starting low with whatever team. Then if another team offers you a job you must accept. And your plan is to work up and get to as high management as you can and earn as much money as you can as a manager ( for yourself not your team) ?? Sounds interesting :)

Yeah exactly. Not your usual save but its fun. DerbyJack has one too.

Obviously i want the club to do well too so more people want me so i can get more money :p

I'm currently in my third season with arsenal. Playing really well.. Not had one offer from another team yet. Hmm good luck on your story thing :)

Sorry folks been busy the lasst few days, will update tomorrow.

Lowestoft Town FC
View attachment 186564

Solihull Moors vs Lowestoft Town FC
View attachment 186563
Starting off the new month, exactly how we finished the last one. An unfortunate loss, we were in the game for the majority of the time and had the lead up until the last 10 minutes, but we couldnt keep them out as they bombarded use in the last 10 minutes.

Lowestoft FC vs Brackley
View attachment 186562
A game which we dominated but couldn't take our chances. A game where we played a high-pressing which you can see in the amount of fouls we had. We worked hard,created chances but couldnt finish any of them. Brackley took the lead in the second half, with a screamer of a goal that beat the keeper.

Lowestoft Town FC vs Gainsborough
View attachment 186561
Well at least we stopped the flow of losses. A well fought point, but again, we came from behind and took the lead in the second half but couldn't hold onto it. It's something to build on and hopefully we can pick up the morale and form after this.

Nuneaton vs Lowestoft Town FC
View attachment 186560
Another frustrating draw. A well fought battle between the two sides and i suppose a draw is the fair result, but again we had plenty of chances but couldn't finish them. The same can be said for Nuneaton though.

Lowestoft Town FC vs North Ferriby
View attachment 186559
Finally a win. A fairly open game with a lot of chances for both sides the scoreline shouldve been greater. I'll take the three points and hopefully build on it, because after this month i'm currently sitting 15th and the board are breathing down my neck so unless we finish strong i might find myself back on benefits!

Lowestoft Town FC
View attachment 186558

Stockport vs Lowestoft FC

View attachment 186557
A hat-trick from Jake Reed made sure we started off the month with an emphatic win over one of the best teams in the league. A fantastic performance overall and a great 3 points which lifts us up to 12th. With 4 games left in the season, and the league table wide open, with only 4 points between ourselves and the play-off spots we can finish fairly high in the table but on the other hand we are only 3 points from finishing just above the relegation places so it's pretty open.

Lowestoft FC vs Curzon Ashton
View attachment 186556
League strugglers Curzon who are sitting rock bottom of the league have nothing to fight for as they've been relegated, but gave us a good fight regardless. Some great goalkeeping from Curzon's number 1 ensured that they always had a chance in the game but after some nice football , Ryan Jarvis slotted in the only goal of the game to hand us all 3 points and lift us up to 9th in the table.

Gainsborough vs Lowestoft FC
View attachment 186555
Another tough-fought battle ends in a win! Gainsborough were all over us in the first half and took the lead just before the first half but a free kick from left back Adam Smith put us back on level terms and the top goalscorer of the league so far Jake Reed scored nicely timed strike after 77 minutes.

Tamworth vs Lowestoft FC
View attachment 186554
We make it 5 in a row! A great victory against Tamworth. Jake Reed again scoring along with Hubert Adamczyk , who we took on loan after losing Danny Eagle and Ryan Jarvis to injury. Tamworth had their fair share of chances but some good defending and some top quality saves from Gledhill ensured we came out on top. This win put us in the playoff spots, but with one game left we could either finish as high as 3rd or if we lose and depending on other results we can go back down to 10th.

Lowestoft Town vs Gloucester
View attachment 186553
And we finish the month just like we started it. Another win and another 3 points that secures us a playoff spot and we finish the regular season in 3rd position with a chance to get promoted! Jake Reed who can be hailed as a hero, leading the league goal scoring charts, scores again along with loanee Adamczyk and Left Back Adam Smith with another free kick. So here we are, on our way to the play-offs for a chance to get promoted! Who would of thought?

Lowestoft Town FC
View attachment 186545
Boston Utd vs Lowestoft Town

View attachment 186544
A great result but a rather tame effort against Boston. I thought after getting an early goal we would kick off and dominate the game but the opposite occurred. Ryan Jarvis scoring after coming back from injury but sadly he was stretchered off towards the end of the game with a torn hamstring so we won't be seeing him for awhile. In truth Boston should have won this game but i won't complain. An away draw is a great result.

Lowestoft Town vs Boston United
View attachment 186543
We did it! We're in the final! A well-fought battle which really should've went the other way when you look at the stats. We only had 4 attempts at goal the entire game but our finishing was spot on for a change! 3 goals in the first 10 minutes set the pace but it died down after that. Boston had plenty of chances and finally equalised early in the second half, but our hero Jake Reed popped up again with a clinical finish seeing us into the Playoff Final with Worcester!

Lowestoft Town vs Worcester
View attachment 186541
I don't know if any of you thought we would get promoted , but i certainly didn't, but we did it! We're promoted to the Vanarama National League! With his first game back in the team for a few weeks Robert Eagle scored a sublime finish from the edge of the area which ultimately turned out to be the winning goal. Some horrible finishing from Worcester and some decent defending meant that we kept a clean sheet which in the end ensured our promotion!

View attachment 186540
Here's the final league table. We finished 3rd after a fantastic winning streak towards the end of the season.

View attachment 186537View attachment 186536
Here's some end of season awards!

View attachment 186535
A new contract and pay-rise! Albeit it's only £50
I'll be back with an update after pre-season and just before the start of the new season.

Lowestoft Town FC
View attachment 186505

Pre-Season:
View attachment 186503
Not the best pre-season in terms of results, but we were playing against some good teams so i'm no too disheartened about the results. We start off the season against Dover who are predicted to finish mid-table so it will be a tough start to life in the National League.

Transfers:
View attachment 186502
I had to say farewell to free-kick expert Adam Smith and first team regular Robert Eagle, both of whom played a fair bit for me last year and scored a fair few goals between them. I didn't want to release them but they weren't good enough to be playing at this level so i let them go. Sam Nunn and Andrew Fisk played a fair bit for me last year aswell but again, the wages could be spent in better areas.

I got some good quality players in to replace them. To replace Adam Smith i signed two left backs Liam Adams and Connor Peters, both of whom are well able to play in the starting 11. To replace Robert Eagle on the wing i brought in a few loans. First i signed Callum Brittain on a season long loan from MK Dons. He's a quality player and will go straight into the starting 11. I signed a number of midfielders to add some depth to the team. Vidal, Gabsi and Hunt will all compete with Rossi Jarvis and Michael Spillane in the first team. Yado Mambo,Aaron Tumwa and Cliff Byrne will all compete for a starting position in the defensive line. Grant Smith will go straight in for Gledhill as number 1 and Gledhill will provide backup on the bench.

View attachment 186500View attachment 186499View attachment 186498View attachment 186497
View attachment 186496View attachment 186495View attachment 186494

View attachment 186492
This will be the formation i'll be trying in my first match against Dover!

Last edited:
Lowestoft Town FC
View attachment 186475

August
Dover vs Lowestoft
View attachment 186471
Not the best of start to life in the National League. We conceded a very soft and unfortunate goal and never really recovered from it. We didn't play to badly we just never had any real chances at goal. It's going to be a tough season. Here's the goal i was talking about...
<span style="font-family:century gothic;"><font size="3">[video=youtube;pYGB64AH0ow]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYGB64AH0ow[/video]

Lowestoft vs Mansfield
View attachment 186470
We've got our first point of the season and it was a well fought and well earned point at that. An evenly matched game. Craig Westcarr tore us apart scoring two goals and setting up the third. Jake Reed gets his first goal of the season along with Ryan Jarvis and Aaron Tumwa scoring on his debut. Glad to get a point.

Grimsby vs Lowestoft
View attachment 186469
Well...this was a sucker punch. We didn't deserve to lose never mind concede 6 goals. We had plenty of chances but couldn't score any more than 2. Jake Reed continues his goal scoring form and loanee from Chelsea Hubert Adamczyuk gets his first of the season. This certainly hurt our goal-difference.

Lowestoft vs Braintree
View attachment 186468
Another frustrating loss where we could've and should've won. Adamczyuk makes scores in back-to-back games proving his worth to the team but sadly it wasn't enough. 2 soft goals gave Braintree the lead, sinking us further down the league table.

Lincoln vs Lowestoft
View attachment 186467
Another game where i was lift my face in my hands. It's so frustrating. Conceding silly goals and missing easy chances. We were the dominant team for the entire game and really should've won this game but instead we lose and find ourselves 2nd from bottom. Jake Reed is trying his best and gets another goal but it's not enough.

Lowestoft vs Hednesford
View attachment 186466
FINALLY! We get our first 3 points of the season against the team who won the National League North last year so we're familiar to each other. The scoreline would suggest it was a fairly even game but thats a utter lie. We dominated and really shouldve scored at least 5 goals against Hednesford. It was a great performance i just wish we couldve netted another few. After a tough month we find ourselves 2nd from bottom with a measly 4 points.

View attachment 186465

Lowestoft Town FC
View attachment 186433
September
Ebbsfleet vs Lowestoft
View attachment 186431
Back to being extremely frustrated! A fairly even game overall but it's extremely frustrating losing so narrowly when you could easily draw or even win.

Lowestoft vs Torquay
View attachment 186429
Can't really defend the team here. Thoroughly deserved the hiding we got. We didn't have a single shot in the first half. After i gave the team an angry reception at half time, they came out gunning but still couldn't find the net.

Bristol Rovers vs Lowestoft
View attachment 186428
Nice to get a win, and against one of the biggest team in the league! A great performance and a great win and a badly needed 3 points. Jake Reed continuing his scoring form with Callum Brittain also netting along with Liam Adams.

Lowestoft vs Boreham Wood
View attachment 186427
A well fought draw and well deserved point. Although we took the lead mid way through the second half we never really were in control of the game. Boreham Wood equalized and then took the lead within 10 minutes and i thought that was it for us but we fought until the very last minute and nicked a goal in the last minute of extra time.

Wrexham vs Lowestoft
View attachment 186426
One of those games where we deserved to lose. Giving away an early penalty certainly didn't help but we played pretty poorly overall. Jake Reed scored another nice goal which only proved to be a consolation goal.

Lowestoft vs Cheltenham
View attachment 186424
Back to the familiar frustrated feeling. Plenty of chances but poor finishing and even poorer defending. It's going to be a tough and long season unless we start to pick up some points and soon.

View attachment 186422

Lowestoft Town FC
View attachment 186357
October

Guiseley vs Lowestoft
View attachment 186356
This was a good chance against the bottom team in the league and we bottled it. We really should have won this game (Is it just me or am i saying that a lot?) So many chances went begging, it really makes you pull your hair out.

Lowestoft vs Macclesfield
View attachment 186355
Well... i didn't expect this. Macclesfield have been very strong so far this season so for someone like Lowestoft to beat them is quite a feat. We even dominated the match and could've even scored another goal or two.

Lowestoft vs Woking
View attachment 186354
A rather fortunate victory but i'll take it non the less. The inside-forward Adamczyuk on loan from Chelsea scores a great goal which handed us all three points, which lifts us out of the relegation zone for the first time since the second game of the season.

FC Halifax vs Lowestoft
View attachment 186353
Back to losing but to be fair Halifax deserved the win, domination the game from start to finish. Our irish centre back/centre midfielder Michael Spillane saw red after two dirty challenges which deserved 2 yellow cards.

Lowestoft vs Nantwich
View attachment 186352
Our first cup outing of the season came up against Nantwich away from home. I wasn't too concerned about this fixture, i'd rather concentrate on surviving relegation but i still fielded a strong team. Nantwich gave us a good battle and deserved the draw in the end which means we have to go play them at their home ground.

Nantwich vs Lowestoft
View attachment 186351
A better performance and a result to go along with it. A nice bit of prize money boosts the finances a bit which are unsurprisingly pretty low.

Lowestoft vs Bath
View attachment 186350
A poor first half from us gave Bath an early lead that they held onto until the end. Despite a brave fight back in the second half we couldn't claw back the 4 goal deficit. This result see's just outside the relegation places but, we're looking healthier than this time last month.

View attachment 186349

Love reading so far! Lots of effort into all of these! Games must take you ages! :D

Good luck on this season. You may need to end up leaving this team if you can get a better offer! Don't know if you'll make it up higher. Keep fighting though!