Football Manager 2013 - Classic Mode (FMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Football Manager Classic is a new mode introduced in Football Manager 2013 as a less time consuming way to play Football Manager. It is still Football Manager, you will jus find that a number of responsibilities have been taken over by your backroom staff or have disappeared completely.

For example, you, the manager, will still take control of training but it will only be at 'full team' level only - there is no individual player training. There are also no Team Talks or Opposition Reports as the key here is to get you into the match as quickly as possible.

Matches are played out in a 'Highlights Only' fashion. There is also the option of just choosing 'Instant Result' and skipping the entire match if you are in a real hurry.

Screenshots

View attachment 2253View attachment 2252View attachment 2251View attachment 2250View attachment 2249View attachment 2248View attachment 2247View attachment 2246View attachment 2245View attachment 2244View attachment 2243View attachment 2242View attachment 2241View attachment 2240View attachment 2239View attachment 2238View attachment 2237View attachment 2236View attachment 2235View attachment 2234

Really don't understand some complaints/criticism of this. Really good idea by SI for this

I think the criticism stems from the idea that game development is a zero sum thing. When the team spends a significant chunk of time (and they must have) on a mode that hardcore players will never go near the assumption is that it hurts the mode we are so used to. And surely, had the team not decided to create this new mode, they would have spent that time developing new features for the mode we all love.

I dont know if the concern (that the regular game mode suffers) is valid, but the argument (that it COULD have) certainly is.

Im obviously excited about the new AI and the 3d improvements and the DoF staffer, and im sure lots of other things, this MAJOR part of the new game though is totally useless for me though.

Last edited:
I think the criticism stems from the idea that game development is a zero sum thing. When the team spends a significant chunk of time (and they must have) on a mode that hardcore players will never go near the assumption is that it hurts the mode we are so used to. And surely, had the team not decided to create this new mode, they would have spent that time developing new features for the mode we all love.

I dont know if the concern (that the regular game mode suffers) is valid, but the argument (that it COULD have) certainly is.

For what its worth... from my perspective this is a bad idea. The mode is clearly an attempt to broaden the user base, but im already a user, and LOVE spending the time required to progress in the game. I play the game specifically for the complexity that classic mode removes, and so many others do. SO for me this is a a feature I will never ever use.

Well tbf FM 2013 is pretty much catered for both sides. People who play it "hardcore", and for people who have less time to play due to real life committments etc. Does no harm whatsoever. obviously people will agree/disagree, but no-one is going to be entirely happy with this. Same applies to any game released, or expansions.

Im obviously excited about the new AI and the 3d improvements and the DoF staffer, and im sure lots of other things, this MAJOR part of the new game though is totally useless for me though.

Just because they were developing a new mode it doesn't mean the work they did on that had no positive impacts on the original mode.

SI must be the only company who spend time creating a whole new game mode and then get whined at by their fanbase for 'wasting time'.

SI must be the only company who spend time creating a whole new game mode and then get whined at by their fanbase for 'wasting time'.

Very true. Only other company I can think of that gets so much stick is Blizzard for each expansion for WoW. Different games I acknowledge, but can't seem to do any right

I kind of liked the idea of Classic mode, then I can have one savegame in classic mode if I just want to play a little when I dont have the real time to play the main mode. So i think I will use both versions.

But will the classic mode come in the same DVD as the main Football manager? *Or is classic mode an app on ipad or internet you can download. The purchase of unlockable features confuses me a little bit as you already have paid maybe €40...

I kind of liked the idea of Classic mode, then I can have one savegame in classic mode if I just want to play a little when I dont have the real time to play the main mode. So i think I will use both versions.

But will the classic mode come in the same DVD as the main Football manager? *Or is classic mode an app on ipad or internet you can download. The purchase of unlockable features confuses me a little bit as you already have paid maybe €40...

classic mode was oringinally going to be a seperate game but they decided to reward the fans of the series by including it on the disc with the original game mode, supposedly for no extra cost but tbh i don't pay attention to the price from year to year so wouldn't know. also i'm sure they said they've been actively working on it for the past 4 years or at least that it wasn't all developed this year so it's not like the original game mode isn't going to progress any more then normal for the last few years and the match engine changes suggest that aspect has moved forward alot and taken up alot of time that would otherwise be put into other new features and upgrades of previous ones.

I like the idea of this, It's something different if you wish to play a different mode to usual. As for the complaints about this, you don't HAVE to play it, it's just an option.

I like it. If you are looking for a game with a few mates, you are not going to be in it for the long haul and not doing training or skipping highlights is a good option, same for those who feel the game is a bit too real these days and want to go back to the CM days.

I like it. If you are looking for a game with a few mates, you are not going to be in it for the long haul and not doing training or skipping highlights is a good option, same for those who feel the game is a bit too real these days and want to go back to the CM days.

It's good for playing with your friends, really. How many times have you started a network game only to never load up the game again after the pre-season is done? The original game can be too complex for network games.

This seems like a good idea for big network games, but apart from that I just don't see the need for it.

Can't really see this being the feature that brings in all those casual gamers, tbh!

Got to be honest, as much I as love the game - Sometimes just dont really have the time- So classic mode and "instant result" mode are big bonuses for me

No, this also happens with Blizzard and the WOW. every time someone makes it easier for others, people whine

No, this also happens with Blizzard and the WOW. every time someone makes it easier for others, people whine

Zoooooomed ya boi (H)

But seriously it is indeed true. Majority of the time it's before the expansion is even released-especially now. Even though i like the changes with the pre-patch (even though i was lost after renewing sub lol) there's not many happy people out there. Patience is not a virtue with some people

Really don't understand some complaints/criticism of this. Really good idea by SI for this
Couldn't agree any more with you! It is literally the only reason I'm going to buy FM13. One of the friends, who hasnt bought FM since FM09, is even going to get this years version only because of FMC.

'Instant Result' feature is baby-making material.

I can't see it being very time consuming for the dev's either due to most of classic's features being a re-jig of what FM already has.

For example skipping a match is essentially going on holiday, and teamtalks etc is like pressing the ask assistant button.

I see FMC as a way of introducing new players into the fanbase, which is awesome.

I can't see the point of this. To me one of the great strengths of FM is that it's very easy for new players to get into as you can play virtually the whole game by clicking 'Ask Assistant' and agreeing with everything your backroom staff say. As you get comfortable you start doing more things for yourself. It's what I did, anyway - I started out asking the assistant to pick the team and just shuffling a few players around, and over the course of a few seasons I started to take control of every aspect. The only thing it won't do for you is transfers, and now apparently there'll be a director of football to do that as well.

It's all very well saying it doesn't affect anything else they do, but the next time the ball hits the post at the right angle and goes straight through it, or another game is won by another ludicrous goal kick -> header over the top -> one on one -> goal, we'll be thinking of the time they spent on this.

(edit: I use those as examples, of course - they may well have been fixed and FM13 will have exciting new bugs :))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.