Football Manager 2014 First Match Engine Video

Lee

Administrator
Reaction score
itSMvKG.png

Early look at the new match engine for FM 2014.

[video=youtube;_e0aywvskSE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_e0aywvskSE[/video]

1) too many first time crosses on volleys ;P not very realistic, no one would do that in game, especially with that much space and time outwide

2) shots are like putting user customization shot speed to 75 on Fifa 13

3) graphics look exactly the same as Fm13

4) still bad defending on a few goals :(

5) shadows look nice though!

6) goalkeepers animations still a bit strange, did not see too many mistakes either though which is promising!

not bad for a first look though! thanks Lee

1) too many first time crosses on volleys ;P not very realistic, no one would do that in game, especially with that much space and time outwide

4) still bad defending on a few goals
sad.gif

6) goalkeepers animations still a bit strange, did not see too many mistakes either though which is promising!

but apart from that it's fine ;)

Visually, the only real (albeit subtle) difference I can see is the shadows? Either way, I am in absolutely no rush to buy this version - might skip it altogether and update FM13's database instead - after last years horrendous buggy BETA release followed by months upon months of updates till FM13 was what I would consider, fit for public release.

Also, if they haven't scrapped the DOF role or at least hugely improved it from its current rather confusing and seemingly pointless role in the game, I don't have high hopes for FM14.

Visually, the only real (albeit subtle) difference I can see is the shadows? Either way, I am in absolutely no rush to buy this version - might skip it altogether and update FM13's database instead - after last years horrendous buggy BETA release followed by months upon months of updates till FM13 was what I would consider, fit for public release.

Also, if they haven't scrapped the DOF role or at least hugely improved it from its current rather confusing and seemingly pointless role in the game, I don't have high hopes for FM14.

Hardly game breaking. Just don't hire one?

Although I think the game engine was great on FM13, and I don't really see much difference with the new one (My computer has turned sh*te at graphics anyway, so I probably won't be able to see the shadows) I still think FM14 seems alot better than the others, mainly because they have finally made the AI managers smarter, and have revamped the tactics system.

Although I would also like to see the DoF improved upon, as at the moment he is useless, and I want to do a save where I leave all the transfers to him (Like Liverpool and Tottenham irl)

Although I think the game engine was great on FM13, and I don't really see much difference with the new one (My computer has turned sh*te at graphics anyway, so I probably won't be able to see the shadows) I still think FM14 seems alot better than the others, mainly because they have finally made the AI managers smarter, and have revamped the tactics system.

Although I would also like to see the DoF improved upon, as at the moment he is useless, and I want to do a save where I leave all the transfers to him (Like Liverpool and Tottenham irl)
Go on staff responsiblities and you can.

Looks good, but the shots are way too powerful, can't see the ball on some of them :p

Going by the comments on Youtube, it would appear the phrases "work in progress" and "very early" are lost on some people.

ice skating.

Some different hair styles are apparent, and some good animations (I don't have fm13, so maybe they are the same?)

4) still bad defending on a few goals :(

There should be bad defending. Bad defending exists in football. Its not the same as defensive bugs in the Match Engine.

The majority of goals do tend to come from some kind of mistake, big or small.

That said, it's merely a glimpse. The only way to judge it properly is with a lot more footage much nearer the time, or ideally the demo itself. 2/3 months to, plenty of time for things to get better, or worse.

Last edited:
i cant wait to install FM14 on linux.... and have many problems with it :)

The only thing I see wrong with the video is not something to reflect on the game but true lack of it. Though then maybe it's telling of the game. Selection of plays to show.

Every pass is to feet. Not one to be ran onto. No wayward passes the players have to race for. Even the ball that comes off the post does so directly to the defender's feet. No ball losses, only one time it's close to happen when there's congestion and a player runs into the ball and it bounces to finish at the feet of the player who carried it.

Precisely one of the big leaps of FM13 from FM12, is that in FM12 passes were mostly pin point to feet of players, team mates when it went right, opponents when it went wrong. Of course, it had a few passes to run onto the ball, in which case it was pin pointed to the path of the run. Or felt like, while in FM13 passes aren't shown with such accuracy and they go astray or too long or too short.

There should be bad defending. Bad defending exists in football. Its not the same as defensive bugs in the Match Engine.

The majority of goals do tend to come from some kind of mistake, big or small.

That said, it's merely a glimpse. The only way to judge it properly is with a lot more footage much nearer the time, or ideally the demo itself. 2/3 months to, plenty of time for things to get better, or worse.

thanks Mike, that was my opinion on what was offered to us at the moment :) I fully understand the concept of "work in progress" but it is barely different from Fm13 at the moment the only thing really is the shadows and how hard players shoot!

thats it :) like it or not :)

thanks Mike, that was my opinion on what was offered to us at the moment :) I fully understand the concept of "work in progress" but it is barely different from Fm13 at the moment the only thing really is the shadows and how hard players shoot!

thats it :) like it or not :)

It's not about liking an opinion or not. Its simply not possible to draw a decent conclusion of a 3 minute teaser that was bascially an attacking reel. Not sure where you can support the barely different argument. Not sure where one can support any argument about the overall ME from a 3 minute clip.

IMO 13 is great and 14 can hardly do better in terms of game view/graphics. In other words, it can, obviously, but it does not matter since we want to manage, not to watch games!

I really expect more from the DoF and the other staff, as IRL team have 4/5 coaches and we need 7 or 8 to get 5 stars...