Football Manager 2014 Screenshots

Wait.. isn't that what everyone ever does in any interview?
But in real life, the interviewer generally has some common sense and would see a problem with someone promising to win the league with Norwich in the first season, say.

I'd assume it would link up with your season expectations, or they would laugh you off. Hopefully negotiate your transfer budget at this point too.

"I think I can make this Newcastle side qualify for the Champions League this season."
"We think this is an unreasonable target, what funds would you need for this?"
"I would need £10m"
"We believe this to be an unreasonable target, we will give you a 2 year contract based upon these promises"

This sort of thing would be good.

Im not holding my breath to be honest,would like the online&ME side of things properly looked at to be honest i,ll keep playing fm13 for a few months until this release anyway...

Looks very promising and I can see myself, for the first 4 months, loving this before becoming slightly worn by the generic replies... Would love it if they added completely different ones this year

i like the idea of loaning a player straight back to the same team but am i the only one who set the transfer to happen at the end of season to get round this problem

Judging by these screenshots, the big change I wanted has been implemented. So from FM14 I will be enable to, for example, set-up Adam Lallana as a left winger, cutting inside onto his right foot and Jason Puncheon as a right winger, cutting onto his left. But when they follow my instruction to occasionally swap wings so as to keep the oppo's defence guessing, Puncheon will start hugging the left touchline and get crosses in from the byline while Lallana can make runs into the channel on the right. Ricki "England's Hero" Lambert will be banging them in for fun!!

It will be interesting to see what scope there is to instruct the full backs, Nathaniel Clyne and Luke Shaw, to alter their overlap/support status and byline/deep crossing behaviour according to whether the right-footed Lallana or the left-footed Puncheon is playing ahead of them during any given attack. Maybe a further evolution for FM15.

Another change I would like to see relates to young players. Good newbies are difficult to find and tend to only come from the top clubs. But the likes of Nick Powell, Lee Sharpe, Gareth Barry, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, any number of Dario Gradi's products all originally came from clubs that were lower down the leagues at the time, even if some of them were snapped up by bigger clubs very early on in their careers. I would like it if my lower league club was able to generate one or two gems every now and again as a result of blind luck/geography, even despite a weak youth set-up. This would still be realistic as many young players come through the schools set-up or start off with non-League teams before catching the eye of professional clubs (Aaron Martin from Eastleigh to Southampton; Alfie Potter from Havant & Waterlooville to Oxford United).

Thought of another one: The ability to instruct a target man to make runs to the far post during open play, so that he can knock down headers to his strike partner; and to tell the strike partner to loiter goal-side of the target man in anticipation of receiving the ball.

These qualities are inherent in the general descriptions of the "target man" and "poacher" roles to some extent, but I would like to specifically instruct them how to operate, in conjunction with wingers and fall backs who are instructed to deliver crosses to the far post.

You can stuff your tiki-taka up your Arsenal; get it up to the big man!!! :p

Thought of another one: The ability to instruct a target man to make runs to the far post during open play, so that he can knock down headers to his strike partner; and to tell the strike partner to loiter goal-side of the target man in anticipation of receiving the ball.

These qualities are inherent in the general descriptions of the "target man" and "poacher" roles to some extent, but I would like to specifically instruct them how to operate, in conjunction with wingers and fall backs who are instructed to deliver crosses to the far post.

You can stuff your tiki-taka up your Arsenal; get it up to the big man!!! :p

I like this idea. Instead of telling your player to "run from deep often" I'd rather be able to give my players more specific and realistic instructions. I don't think Pep tells Arjen Robben to play 20% of the way up the slider passing... More likely try and find Mandzukic's head as much as possible.

Thanks Turbo,

Arjen Robben is an excellent example to illustrate my first suggestion, too. When he's on the right wing, he cuts onto his left foot and looks to dribble through the defence, shoot from the edge of the area or play one-twos or through balls to Mandzukic/Gomez(?). But when he switches to the left, he goes to the byline and stands up crosses to the far post or pulls it back along the deck for either of those two or Muller - or Bastian Schweinsteiger doing his best Paul Scholes impression!

Different instructions for the different situations that occur during the 90 minutes.

I would love to see a player's history showing appearances made and goals scored in all the competition rather than just the league. I would also love to offer the Head Of Youth Department and Director Of Football other roles rather giving them same role and also like to offer my oldest player the role of Player/Coach like Ryan Giggs.

Love the Match Plans, Job Interview and Development Tab! But the training and tactics look a lot more difficult... Also the change I see looking at the News pictures, I liked it better the way it was in 2013 apart from the Scouting News you get. Will try the demo first!

Oh god, individual instruction for players when they play on selected position...
[h=2]I keep throwing money at the screen, but nothing's happening[/h]

The individual instructions being able to be set by player looks brilliant, but I hope there is still the level of customisation we can have now with all of the sliders to customise roles, but maybe all of the selection/de-selection of these instructions will work well too!?

I love the new player instructions settings. I would love to see more screenshots for that. It really looks like one heck of a game :)

The look of the game seems to have remained roughly the same, it looks like an even more polished version of FM13 - which is a good thing. At first glance I'd say they concentrated primarily on improving interactions and finding a better balance between simplicity and sophistication when it comes to tactics. Haven't really looked at everything yet though, don't have much time right now. I'm curious to find out what the match engine and graphics will be like.

I would love to see a player's history showing appearances made and goals scored in all the competition rather than just the league. I would also love to offer the Head Of Youth Department and Director Of Football other roles rather giving them same role and also like to offer my oldest player the role of Player/Coach like Ryan Giggs.

I'd like that too, but I have noticed in FM13 that if you click on each line of the player's career stats in the history table, the info at the bottom of the screen does break down appearances, goals, assists etc for league, cup, continental, international etc

There might be a slight bug there though, because it seems to do it for most players but not all.

Not sure about the stats, but I think the staff roles are based on what the person prefers. Eg: Phelan was assistant at Utd, still is in-game, but I think in FM12 he used to declare an interest in Championship jobs.

About the Player/Coach, I think you can do that even in FM13, depends whether the player wants to take up a coaching role or not.

The new tactics look like the yearly new take on things. I am still looking for something that gives much more freedom in terms of positioning people. Podolski doesnt have enough winger stats to be lethal on the wing, and not enough intelligence to play solo through the middle in the First XI. I'd like something to sayto tuck in if the left back moves forward. Maybe stand 15 feet in for the sideline to link up with the overlapping LB, the CAM to his right and the striker ahead of him. Use what stats he does have in terms of movement and finishing to step in off the wing and make runs into the box (notfor him to cut in, im looking for him to have a mentality of an inside LF when not on the ball)