Football Manager - 65% Luck 35% Tactics

SongFabPersie

Reaction score
Don't you think? That in Football Manager and in real life managing that a managers influence is limited. Sure you set the tactics give out instructions but ultimately as soon as your players cross that white line it's up to them ..their mood, determination, form, luck comes into play..No matter how much preparation the manager makes at the end of the day it's the players out there who influence the result.

Thats what frusterates me the most your plan may be inch perfect but on that crucial day the players might not be in the right frame of mind.

Discuss.

Well, that's football. All a manager can do is condition the players best to get a result out of them. You have bad players. How do you improve them? You manage the **** out of them. You win. With the proceeds you buy better players, manage the **** out of them, and win. You keep going til you reach the top.

A manager's influence really isn't that limited. You condition them (in other words, you create the environment for their mood/determination/form etc.) so that they can best win the game. This is football manager, not 'do everything exactly as told and you will win everything' manager. I'm sorry you're frustrated, but as I said, that is football.

P.S: I really wanted to just rip into you after that title. You couldn't be more wrong. Football Manager is 90% Management, 10% Luck. If you think you'll win over a third of your matches purely through luck... well. Try playing a 0-0-5-5 formation and see whether you win even 5%, if any at all.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same recently after reading so many people complaining that the game in unrealistic/****/etc. After watching many many Premier League games, i think that tactics can only take one so far. Alot is down to luck, and the determination of the opposition. Though i would say that you can't put a percentage on these things.

Well the game is indeed unrealistic ; every team playing like Barcelona, creating **** lot of chances

I'd also like to add this as being a load of bollocks, luck can win or make you lose one match, but over the course of the season, skill will shine through in the end.

I'd also like to add this as being a load of bollocks, luck can win or make you lose one match, but over the course of the season, skill will shine through in the end.

I really think this is disproved in many scenarios. Man Utd for example, have relied heavily on luck this season and prior, as well as exceptional determination. But tactically, are they so astute?

I really think this is disproved in many scenarios. Man Utd for example, have relied heavily on luck this season and prior, as well as exceptional determination. But tactically, are they so astute?

you dont win 18 league titles on luck alone.

Don't make me defend united! Have you seen who I support lol. Hes they have. Been lucky in one sense, but in another you still have to credit management - fergie has instilled that never say die attitude in his players and that, unfortunately, is down to management.

Hope thats understandable, on iphone and very difficult to correct.

^^agree. However, united are very lucky to be where they are, if they hadn't have won the fa cup in 1990 ferguson would have been sacked. he was 5 minutes or so away from being sacked, until Mark Hughes popped up :( all hughes' and palaces fault that man united are where they are now :(

Which is why i also said 'determination' was a key factor. I didn't write that it was all down to luck oO)

Don't make me defend united! Have you seen who I support lol. Hes they have. Been lucky in one sense, but in another you still have to credit management - fergie has instilled that never say die attitude in his players and that, unfortunately, is down to management.

Hope thats understandable, on iphone and very difficult to correct.

Again, this is what i WROTE. Determination, plus luck. U.T.D have amazing determination which often makes up for tactical inadequacies, imo. The OP was talking about tactics, and so i would challenge anyone to claim that utd have not relied on their fair share of luck over the years, which is often created through their determination. Champions League final vs Bayern, was not won on skill or tactics. 4-3 vs man city, was won on determination and luck(Fergie time).