Football Manager - Copyrights for leagues?

Sigurros

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering something after I launched the game today.

When we launch the game, we can see that Football Manager company has the rights to use the real names of some teams, etc. What I am wondering is: did Football Manager bought rights for all the leagues that are in the game? Or does some of them don't need specific authorizations.

I am especially wondering about the Turkish leagues, do they have the rights for using names etc.?

In general, was there ever cases of Football Manager sued by teams/leagues or players for using their names? I remember of some Asian leagues though (Japan), did not check if it is still the case.

I am asking because I am interested in law and I am half-turkish. It looks for me like an incredible thing to have the "rights" for such an HUGE database like Football Manager has.

Thankksss!

==>

I realize I posted this in "FM 2011 thread", if it could be moved to "FM 2012 general discussion", that would be nice; Thanks!

Last edited:
Not necessarily. I am not quite sure what the Turkish league is called in real life, but in Football Manager the "Barclays Premier League" is called "English Premier Division". And there aren't any logo's available for teams, inside the Premier League for example.

To the teams: Example: Liverpool is a city, aswell as a football club. So, Liverpool FC can't (to my knowledge) have the right to the name, but they posses the right for their logo and kit designs, which is why they are not included in the game.

Not sure about player names, but I'm guessing, since they are included that they have the rights to include them.

I am not sure, if that answered your question but I hope it helped a little :)

Last edited: