Football Manager running dangerously low on memory

davela93

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just started getting this message on my old FM game ('08) - i have been happily playing the same single career for about 4 real years - the fictional year is 2065 and gametime is approx 120 hours.

I don't have a huge amount of leagues - maybe about 10.

I have read every similar thread on google - mostly talking about virtual memory. I have tried every suggestion and also purchased more RAM but still no joy.

This career has been going so long that I will be very sad to see it lost but maybe I have to move on and purchase FM12.

But I just wanted to post this as a last chance saloon situation.

So firstly does anyone else have any suggestions as to how to get past this issue?

And secondly, if I completely uninstall the game and remove all trace of it, if i then purchase the new FM, what are the chances this error will still be there?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Correction - make that 120 DAYS gametime, not hours!

what are your system specs? still got plenty of space on the hard drive?

Haven't got the exact specs as am at work.....but have got loads of space as i really only use my laptop for FM and internet. Have even removed unwanted junk, done a defrag, disk clean, bought more RAM, pretty much everything that has ever been suggested on other threads.

I'm starting to realize it's probably a no-hoper but i'm concerned that by uninstalling the game and starting fresh with FM12, will the problem still occur?

That is the question!

The older versions had memory addressing issues. Have you set your VM to a fixed size? Set it to System Managed.
Your save is probably huge at this point, with all the records and player history etc..
See if you can get a savegame cleaner somewhere.

Thanks for suggestion. Have already tried fixed AND System Managed - no joy.
Looks like there is no save game cleaner for FM08 sadly.
And yes, 4 real years of data is quite a lot on a Vista laptop.

So looks like the end of an era maybe. I just hope the same thing doesn't happen when I remove 08 and install 12.