Football Managers may experience possible side-effects..

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4FC B3N

Reaction score
I will be updating the OP, I'm not sure I have put enough information in there. Constructive criticism much appreciated.

Football Managers May Experience Possible Side-effects..

There I was, sitting in my living room, playing on Football Manager, day dreaming about what it would be like to actually manage a real, professional football club, then it occured to me, it certainly isn't impossible. If my Mother can get her lower level coaching badges through managing my little brothers football team then why the **** shouldn't I give it a shot!? I used to help her out all the time with the team and they were pretty succesful, winning the county cup on two seperate occasions. That was it, I closed FM and started to scour the internet for information about getting my coaching badges.

There it was, a course run by The Football Association and it was only just starting up in the coming weeks, I was right on to it. It was half an hours drive away but that wasn't going to stop me... The following day, I drove to the venue and put my name down and they told me they would get back to me within 24 hours, to be honest, it was a pain in the **** driving all the way there to basically drive all the way back home, I thought it was straight up - pay for the course and get started straight away, but they say they only have 'limited spaces'. Pfft. Anyway, the following day at 2:30pm, I received a phone call explaining that I had been accepted on to the course and I was over the moon, this was the very beginning of my rise to being a World Class Manager, no optimism intended..... The course flew by and by the end of it, I was definately top of the class! I had received the highest level of coaching badge possible but it sure had taken a lot out of me. I like to think my excessive use of Football Manager gave me a slight advantage over the other students, professional footballers or not.

View attachment 215691

So here I am, all on my own but with a higher level coaching degree, time to get on to the managerial ladder! My CV was straight forward, except from the past experience box. I hadn't actually coached a team above my little brothers amatuer, Sunday League team but I couldn't lie so I thought 'what the ****!?' and wrote that down. Obviously I wasn't looking to manage a team in the Premiership or even above League 2, I had to start somewhere but I wouldn't let my horizons exceed Britain, for now. The days passed, then the weeks, even the months, nothing..... nothing until!

View attachment 215689

Boston United Approach Copland

I bit their hands off, after 10's of applications sent off, I finally got an offer and it wasn't a shabby offer either, I'll be raking in four times what I used to earn in my dead-end Technician job. Just goes to show that a little bit of hard work does eventually pay off. The chairman, David Newton, phoned me later that same day to reassure me that I have the full backing of the board for the remainder of the season, relegation or not, the real test would begin once I had settled in, so I got down to hard graftin'.

Last edited:
I was invited to a conference for my first interview as the Boston United Manager, notified by my representative, Dave Wood. I was pretty excited about it, I'd seen them on the television and they seem pretty fun, let's see how it goes..

Reporter:
"This is your first job in Football Management, you must be feeling a **** of a lot of pressure to succeed."

Me:
"Nope, it's my second job, my first was a successful stint with a top class sunday league team *chuckle*. But seriously, I'm surprisingly relaxed, the chairman has given me his reassurance that I will keep my job whatever this seasons' outcome."

Reporter:
"Come on! You must be feeling some pressure, you have 4 key players out injured, surely a winning start is what you're after?"

Me:
"Of course that's a problem, but I don't have a set team sheet, everyone will get their fair share of games in the remainder of the season, nothing is set in stone."

Reporter:
"Fair enough, but the financial position the club is in..." Dave Wood: "OK, that's enough, Ben doesn't have to answer that!"

Me:
"That's fine, thanks Dave. I'm sensing a bit of negativity here, all I have to do now is prove you all wrong, interview - over."

My Philosophy

I've always been keen on building from the back, ever since I used to manage the kids' team which is why I chose a primarily defensive tactic. Unfortunately, there are several key Central defenders out with injuries atm which is the first hurdle I must overcome, but I'm positive I can work around that. I'm going to go with a 3 - 3 - 2 - 2, using Wing Backs and a Defensive midfielder. A similar formation to which my local team, Wigan Athletic uses, but with my own twist on it.

View attachment 215699

Counter attacking will be the lethal touch to this tactic with the Wing Backs playing a very important role, getting the ball forward towards the two isolated attackers as much as possible. Patience is the key, soak up the pressure and then explode. I have extremely high hopes but I'm going to have to delve in to the transfer market as soon as possible for extra cover at the back.

Into my first game in management, I thought I was relaxed but as soon as I got in to that tunnel, the pressure hit me, I needed to take a seat for a moment.. Alright, I gathered myself and out we went. I could hear our away fans chanting my name, "Copland, give us a wave, Copland, Copland give us a wave!", so I did and they let out a cheer. They were fantastic, louder than the home fans

FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round
Vs Spalding
Slight change in formation, being the favourites, I pushed the DM up to AM.
View attachment 215700View attachment 215701

The game got off to a horrid start, I could do nothing but put my head in to my hands. The Young, inexperienced defender, Tom Ward took down Holloway in a last ditch tackle, last man, straight red after just 12 minutes. A change of tactics was in order and so early in to my world-beating career. After that, the lads stuck together and defended solidly right up until half time.. NEWSHAM! close, hits the post from an impossible angle but rebounds to Canoville who crosses it in first time to Wilkinson who volleys it into the bottom corner. 0 - 1!
*Half time whistle*
Much of the same in the second half, excellent defending until a mistake from Parker, Russell equalizes on the 73rd minute mark.. I shout to the lads to calm down and it will come, and it does! Around 80 minutes, Newsham receives the ball near the edge of the box and makes no mistake smashing it into the top corner to take the lead. 1 - 2!
*Full time whistle*

YES! My first game and I come away with a win, you have no idea how relieved I am, especially after that early bath. Canoville recieved Man of the Match and so he should, he bossed his right wing all game and added a wonderful assist to top it off, let's just hope this can continue..

Future posts will contain more than one game, just getting this one out of the way before I start properly.

Last edited:
Really loved the start mate.

Enjoyed the first game commentary, and how you talk things through, and in the end a good result in your first game!

Love the tactic too, I like how you used Wigan's ideas and are trying to use them on FM ;)

Will be following.

OCTOBER

I couldn't have wished for a better start to my manegerial career, but now for the real test. Spalding aren't exactly the greatest team in the world, let's be honest. On to the Blue Square Northern League. My first game is against high-flying Stalybridge but Boston are still considered the favourites. The players are still getting used to the defensive line-up so I'll be watching these next few games very carefully.

Blue Square Bet North
Vs Stalybridge
View attachment 215761

Early on in the game, Stalybridge are piling on the pressure and it looks like Parker is extremely uncomfortable and it shows.. 12 minutes in, Phil Marsh takes advantage of Parkers' uncertainty and slots home to make it 0 - 1. Bastock is playing extremely well this half because the defence simply haven't shown up, it's a surprise that Stalybridge are only 1 goal up as the half time whistle goes.
*Half time whistle*
Boston United start the 2nd half stronger than they did the first, Asante looks like he has found some motivation during the half time team talk, coming close with an effort from just outside the box. Newsham, around one, two, three players, Oooh, blasts it wide, lacking in much needed composure. Bastock is brought in to play again for 20 minutes of the second half, pulling off 2 great saves to keep Boston in the game. Asante, battles in the box with Stalybridges' 6" defender, wins the ball but scuffs his shot which Budtz just throws his hat on. Stalybridge go all out, troubling the defence and it pays off, a dangerous ball into the box, ricochets off Jellyman and ends up in our own net, 0 - 2 and I think that's that.
*Full time whistle*

Not the start I had in mind, but the fact that the Chairman has given me his full backing relieves some of the stress following that performance. I'm going to be as stubborn as possible and stick with this formation, I know it will work! I know it will!!

Blue Square Bet North
Vs Histon
View attachment 215762

Another dreadful start from Boston as Histon take the lead through Thalassitis in just the 3rd minute, plenty of time left to claw one back though. Parker, yet another mistake that Riza picks up on and smashes the ball in to the top corner after 32 minutes, 2 - 0 already. All Histon in the first half.
*Half time whistle*

Boston are far from organised, so I change the formation drastically to try and get something from this game. Whilst deciding on what to change, I hear the crowd scream, Riza grabs his second goal to make it 3 - 0 to Histon. Swap the defensive midfielder and push him up to Attacking midfield, the team start to pass the ball better, but it's too little, too late, or is it!?.... Khalis picks out a cutting pass to Newsham who cooly finishes to make it 3 - 1. Come on boys, we can do it! Riza gets through again to put his third away but Bastock pulls off a magnificent save to deny him the hat trick.
*Full time whistle*

Another pretty dire performance, starting to think I'm not cut out for this job. Plenty games left though so onwards and upwards!

FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round (+Replay)
Vs Worcester
15.10.2011/19.10.2011
View attachment 215763 View attachment 215764

Home leg

Boston get off to a great start, missing about 3 chances, hall coming the closest on 7 minutes with a curling effort from the edge of the box, just sliding wide. All Boston in the first half, Worcester did come close with a free kick from 30 yards away, just shaving the crossbar, pretty dull really.
*Half time whistle*

Boston look like they want this, they certainly need a win from somewhere and Wilkinson is leading the line, forcing a marvelous save from the Worcester keeper, Atkinson. Worcester just can't seem to keep hold of the ball and Sleath picks up on this, takes the ball away from Danny Edwards and shoots from a tight angle but Atkinson is looking very good today and keeps the shot out. Boston get a last minute corner which whittles away to nothing after Newsham gets over excitied and fouls Clarke in their penalty area. Game over, 0 - 0, a slight improvement.
*Full time whistle*

Replay
Newsham gets the Pilgrims off to a good start with a couple of efforts that are slightly off target but Worcester fight back. Simon Brown scores just before the half-hour mark but there are suspicions of offside, the Boston players encircle the linesman but the goal is given, 1 - 0. Stainfield picks up an injury 5 minutes before the break and has to make way for Liam Parker, Mr. Mistake.
*Half time whistle*

Come on! We can still do this, it's an easier draw in the next round against a club 2 divisions lower than us. Maybe it isn't meant to be.. Carey-Bertram adds Worcester's second, 1 minute after the start of the second half and you can see the Boston players' heads go down, I shout at them, tell them to try to retain possession and to keep their heads up, it's not over yet! Brown adds his second of the game not long after Carey, 3 - 0 Worcester. Big shake around, 2 changes and a more attacking formation and it pays off, on 78 minutes, Young Suarez finds Newsham at the edge of the box and he tucks it away, a chance? CANOVILLE! Storming header to put Boston right back in to the game with just over 5 minutes to go, this would be an amazing come back, the tactical change is working. The players pile forward and batter the Worcester defence but it wasn't to be.
*Full time whistle*

Excellent fight back from the youngsters, really unlucky not to get that 3rd goal, dare I say we deserved it after going 3 - 0 down? The goal that seemed to be offside will certainly annoy the life out of me, but I'm not going to dwell on it, a pleasing performance in the second half, despite losing the 2 early goals.

Blue Square Bet North

Vs Harrogate

View attachment 215769

We go into this game full of confidence from the patricularly pleasing second half performance against Worcester in the FA Cup. But not to be, Harrogate are bossing the game with Ashworth and Ross having several shots between them, keeping the Boston keeper, Bastock very busy! Late attack in the first half from Boston but nothing comes of it, pretty dull first half, if you're a Boston fan..
*Half time whistle*
After a motivating team talk, Boston come out looking like they really want this! Just 10 minutes in to the second half and Sleath finds Hall with a pinpoint cross who puts it away to give Boston the lead! 1 - 0. Harrogate almost score straight from the kick off as Boston lose their concentration but Bastack is still alive and stops the ball dead. Asante is having a blinder of a second half, hitting the post and forcing a save, he deserves a goal, and he gets it! A sublime chip from the edge of the box leaves the Harrogate keeper for dead, excellent goal from a young player with a **** of a future ahead of him. Harrogate pull a late goal back through Jonny Allen but it's too little, too late, Boston stay firm to deny a series of chances, 2 - 1
*Full time whistle*

YES! A first league win and it takes me out of the relegation zone. I don't want to get relegated this season, aiming for a mid-table finish but I surely have my work cut out with this rocky start. The players are finding their feet and getting used to the formation which is good to see, just a few minor tweaks may do it.

Blue Square Bet North
Vs Nuneaton
View attachment 215770

Nuneaton start the game very lively, especially Noon, there's no one that can deal with him, he must have had 10 shots in the first 20 minutes, and it pays off in the 26th minute when he smashes the ball past Bastock, leaving him rooted, 1 - 0 Nuneaton. The rest of the half is battled out in midfield but not much to talk about, maybe the second half will be better.
*Half time whistle*
Not a great start to the second half either, as Scarborough puts nuneaton 2 - 0 up with a strong header. Newsham sees we're losing confidence fast and piles the pressure on the Nuneaton defence, forcing a mistake but unfortunately, he can't capitalize and the chance is gone. Sleath has a long range effort at goal but nothing to shout about... WOW, Wilson puts Nuneaton 3 - 0 with a spectacular effort, bouncing off the underside of the crossbar, no keeper would have stopped that. All over for Boston, AGAIN! Hall pulls a goal back for Boston with 15 minutes still to go but after that, we just seemed to give up, 3 - 1, Nuneaton.
*Full time whistle*

Well, my first month out of the way and it wasn't very pretty at all, hopefully we can learn from our mistakes and push on from here. Picking up a couple of wins and a draw on the way it isn't as bad as it could have been. The players still seem upbeat, maybe I'll organise a Team Meeting, possibly give them an incentive to win, anything.. I think Player of the month goes to Canoville, from his wing back position, he has assisted with 2 goals and received 2 Man of the Matches, even getting on to the Team of the Week on one occasion. Even in his old age, he still appears to be playing some excellent football, leading by example. Long may it continue!

Still to be updated w/ transfer news..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.