Football Managers.

westham1995

Banned
Reaction score
I was having a conversation on a thread just now and it made me think about the length of time managers stay at a single club in recent years. I was shocked to discover that there are only 8 teams with managers that have been there for 5 or more years. It made me wonder about my own team and I am pleased to announce that West Ham United have only had 12 managers since we were formed 115 years ago and I was disappointed when I discovered that before 1989 we had only had 5 managers! This is apparently the best record for any major English club and I would like this thread to be a place where people can discuss the managers of their own clubs or others and also talk about the lengths of tenures of managers at their own clubs.
Thank you.

West Ham (scroll down for managers): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Ham_United

Which 8 are they buddy? If you know. :)

It is interesting to note that only half of the first eight are English.

Which 8 are they buddy? If you know. :)

manchester united 23 years 206 days
aresenal 13 years 242 days
accrington stanley 10 years 294 days
everton 8 years 77 days
southend 6 years 193 days
dagenham and redbridge 6 years 44 days
liverpool 5 years 357 days
cardiff 5 years 6 days

next longest are:

bristol rovers 4 years 251 days
morecombe 4 years 195 days

its just the way the game is now days, every owner, chairman wants success and quicker the better. and if they dont get it then you get left behind and it means time for a change.

Yeah I know I was thinking that. I wonder if England have got the most foreign managers. Anyone know?

no but ancelotti is one day shy of a year in charge of chelsea, his time must nearly be up:p

Dagenham got promoted, because they stuck with John Still, and didnt go changing managers all the time

Yeah I know I was thinking that. I wonder if England have got the most foreign managers. Anyone know?

I'm not sure but is it worthy to note that no English manager has ever won the Premier League...

Its the more common foreign chairman influx that has caused this - particularly new owners who don't actually understand the game. Luckily the Glazers know enough, for example, not to sack the best manager United have had for like ever. Take City, for another instance. Impatient chairmen mean managers staying for little amount of time. If there was an English chairman at an English club, then managers would stay much longer. Take Everton as the best example of that.

not necessarily true. randy lerner is a model owner. stays out the limelight, has total faith in o'neill has no intention of sacking him, backs him in the market

Length of tenures of West Ham managers:
Syd King: 31 years
Charlie Paynter: 18 years.
Ted Fenton: 11 years.
Ron Greenwood: 13 years.
John Lyall: 15 years.
Lou Macari(First non-English manager): 1 year.
Billy Bonds: 4 years.
Harry Redknapp: 7 years.
Glenn Roeder: 2 years.
Alan Pardew: 3 years.
Alan Curbishley: 2 years.
Gianfranco Zola (First foreign manager): 2 years.

Note the steady and then sudden decline. :( Still 12 managers is brilliant over 115 years. 9.5 years each. Some clubs can't even boast a manager that has lasted for 9.5 years.

Last edited:
I am almost embarrassed to look at Newcastle's. XD

Newcastle once had a manager that stood in for two days and won his game. That is your most successful manager lol.

no but ancelotti is one day shy of a year in charge of chelsea, his time must nearly be up:p

we want carlo out say we want carlo out lol. only joking of corse i would love Chelsea to keep a manger for over 5 years.

Before Shanks, Liverpool's managers didn't actually choose the team...

But we've had 18 managers in 118 years (which includes the joint managers as two seperate managers when we first got started but ignores the Evans/Houllier joint manager period as being a seperate manager).