Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (suggest below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wr1097

Reaction score
An Introduction to my Idea

I haven't been able to get into any game on FM for the past month or so, and don't look to be doing so anytime soon.
My idea is that each season, I will pick a team (preferably a team in the top divisions) and do a detailed analysis of that team throughout the season.

For example, if I were to pick Manchester United in the first season, I would analyse their season, game-by-game, along with any events of interest and post them on this thread. The next season, I wouldn't choose United again (although I may return to them long after) and I'd move on to another team, probably in another league, say to the Bundesliga this time.

Just to make it clear, this is not a manager story by any means, I'd just like to create a thread where I can post a seasonal analysis of football clubs around the world.

I intend to start in the Premiership and have shortlisted five teams for the first season :-

1. Manchester City View attachment 522864

Former Malaga and Real Madrid man Manuel Pellegrini will look towards his new recruits Jesus Navas and Alvaro Negredo, along with the power in midfield, in order to steal the title from United and progress in the Champions League.

2. Tottenham Hotspur View attachment 522858

After selling Gareth Bale and spending over 100 million on new recruits, it will be interesting to see if they can mount a serious challenge under Tim Sherwood (I'm using the winter update)

3. Liverpool View attachment 409706

In real life, Brendan Rodgers has got them playing some great offensive football (as a United fan, I hate to admit it) but will their lack of an organised defence hurt them in-game, especially after no signings in January?

4. Southampton View attachment 522867

Mauricio Pochettino and ex-chairman Nicola Cortese have received praise for the recent influx of English youngsters in the first team. Will this help the Saints in pushing for the European places?

5. Fulham View attachment 409705

3 managers in one season is not a healthy sign for any club, let alone one destined for relegation. Will Fulham be able to pull it together and stay up under new manager Magath, after acquiring the services of Holtby and Mitroglou?

I plan to start this on Tuesday and will leave a poll for others to vote on. You can also suggest other teams, although I'd prefer them to be in the top division.

Leave your comments and suggestions below.

Last edited:
I'm just going to reserve this post for an overview

Season 1 (2013/14)​

I've decided that apart from the team review through the season, I'll also do a review of major competitions, even if the team doesn't participate - like Champions League and international competitions as well. Don't forget to vote before Tuesday!

OK, thanks for voting guys!
Fulham had the most votes, so I'll get up a squad overview and season preview in a little while.

Season Preview

In real life, Fulham are struggling. They are rooted to the bottom of the table, three points behind Sunderland who have 3 games to play. They are now on their 3rd manager of the season and Felix Magath doesn't look like he would be able to inspire a fight against the drop.

In-game, hovewer, Fulham are predicted to finish 11th under Magath and have several experienced players to guide the club. Let's take a look at the predicted first-team squad this season.

Squad Overview*

*includes only first-team players as of July 2, 2013. Players will be added after the transfer window closes.
**blue indicates the player is on loan for the season

Goalkeepers

View attachment 408566View attachment 408565View attachment 408564

Maarten Stekelnburg (NED) / David Stockdale (ENG) / Jesse Joronen (FIN)

Centre-Backs

View attachment 408563View attachment 408562View attachment 408561View attachment 408560

Brede Hangeland (NOR) / John Heitinga (NED) / Fernando Amorebieta (VEN) / Dan Burn (ENG)

Full-Backs

View attachment 408559View attachment 408558View attachment 408557View attachment 408556

Elsad Zverotic (MNE) / Sascha Riether (GER) / John Arne Riise (NOR) / Kieran Richardson (ENG)

Defensive / Central Midfielders

View attachment 408555View attachment 408554View attachment 408553View attachment 408552

Scott Parker (ENG) / Derek Boateng (GHA) / William Kvist (DEN) / Giorgios Karagounis (GRE)

View attachment 408551View attachment 408550

Steve Sidwell (ENG) / Ryan Tunnicliffe (ENG)

Wingers / Attacking Midfielders / Wide Midfielders

View attachment 408549View attachment 408548View attachment 408547View attachment 408546

Damien Duff (IRL) / Patjim Kasami (SUI) / Lewis Holtby (GER) / Alexander Kacaniklic (SWE)

Forwards

View attachment 408545View attachment 408544View attachment 408543

Hugo Rodallega (COL) / Darren Bent (ENG) / Kostas Mitroglou (GRE)

Looking at this line-up, there seems to be a lack of quality out wide. I don't think Kasami and Kacaniklic will feature heavily in the starting line-up - Magath's initial setup is that of a diamond formation. Although this is just speculation, it will be interesting to analyse as the pre-season progresses. I certainly think they need a new centre-back to ease Hangeland out of the starting line-up.

What do you think, guys?

Last edited:
SEASON 2013/14

Pre-Season Review

Unfortunately, this took a long time to process and the game barely saved the match details. I think I'll actually have to watch the **** games if I want to do the full analysis.

Fixtures and Results

View attachment 408209

Not really satisfactory, let me tell you. Porto and Genoa brushed aside with ease, and then they fail to beat all this lower league opposition? When Fulham win, they seem to win with style - 50 to 60 % possession , a lot of good runs in the final third, a narrow formation which really allows them to dominate, especially with Scott Parker in midfield, but when they don't score, they seem to lose confidence. It will be interesting to see how this changes as the season progresses.

Transfers and Contracts

Nothing of importance here , a few youngsters and fringe players left on loan - the highest profile loan being that of Moussa Dembele to Guingamp. Other than that, Magath convinced a few youngsters to go professional.

Other News

The rest of world has been quite busy in the transfer market. Here are the top 5 transfers from the best leagues around the world.

View attachment 408208

What Next for Fulham?

View attachment 408207

Certainly a test for Magath to see if he can handle the Premier League. The Capital One Cup draw has been kind, though and Fulham should progress quite easily.

What are your thoughts so far, guys?

SEASON 2013/14

And So we Begin.....

This will be the final pre-season post - all the news was taken from the week before the pre-season.

View attachment 408206

OK, this is the pretty much the only player Fulham have been linked with all summer. He's a 17 year old, so I don't think he'll be featuring in England anytime soon. Magath also used the same press conference to state that he didn't have a preferred starting eleven, and that Fulham weren't the favourites to beat Shrewsbury in the Cup - I was amused, but we'll see how that goes.

Season ticket sales have been announced....

View attachment 408205

Cleary not the most popular club in London - that distinction goes to Arsenal with 40000 season ticket holders. What surprises me is that two clubs in my country (India) have more season ticket holders than Chelsea. We only wish that were true....

And the injury table before the first matchday....

View attachment 408204

Holtby could probably play against Newcastle, but Heitinga's debut will have to wait.

SEASON 2013/14

PREMIER LEAGUE MATCHDAY 1

Preview

View attachment 408203

Fulham appear to be the favourites here but they have played with a narrow formation in pre-season, and that could work against their advantage especially if Newcastle play Ben Arfa and Gouffran.

Line-Ups and Pre-Match

View attachment 408202

View attachment 408200

Full-Time Result and Analysis

View attachment 408199

Oh, Lord that was a disaster.....

View attachment 408198

I don't really believe in posting a lot of screenshots of the in-game analysis, I'd rather give my own. Fulham's midfield was pathetic today, Stekelenburg's distribution was awful and Darren Bent was Darren Bent.

34 % possession and as expected, Ben Arfa and Gouffran were to free to roam about on the wings. The only goal of the game came from a (not so) momentary lapse in concentration from Briggs who allowed Ben Arfa to run past him and hit it low into the left hand side. Kasami missed a golden chance to level the score before half-time after a great through ball from Darren Bent.

Sometimes, this game produces some amazing moments. Gouffran found the goal open after Stekelenburg failed to deal with a Ben Arfa cross. It could have been 2-0, but Hangeland made an amazing interception by leaping into the air with this kung-fu kick and clearing just as Gouffran was about to head it in. Moment of the match, really.

There was no standout performer for Fulham - unfortunately for Scott Parker, all his hard work in the heart of midfield was in vain.

Post-Match

View attachment 408197

View attachment 408196

Magath praised Ben Arfa in his conference, and there was more disappointment for fans when he said that he'd only enter the transfer market for the right player - which is anybody better than Bent.

So, what do you think, guys? Would you like comprehensive updates like this or monthly updates?

SEASON 2013/14

AUGUST 2013

I've decided to monthly updates - to do upwards of 30 games a season is too much work and this will allow me to move quicker.

Results

Already posted the Newcastle game, so I'll start with West Ham

View attachment 408164

3 minutes...can you believe it? Amazing comeback in 3 minutes and after that, I watched one of the most uninteresting matches. The ball was just moving back and forth between the two sides. Fulham might have won but they certainly have to improve.

View attachment 408162

Even against lower league opposition, Fulham can't keep the ball. It was a convincing win, though.

View attachment 408161

This loss was expected, though Fulham managed to limit the damage.....one shot in 90 minutes, really??

September Fixtures

View attachment 408160

Really tough start to the month....both Everton and Arsenal are playing well, although their Cup game should be a piece of cake.

Injury Table

View attachment 408159

Fulham are facing a crisis up front, which has led to Ange-Freddy Plumain being moved to the first team. His debut didn't go so well, though.

I'll post the league table along with transfer deadline day later.

SEASON 2013/14

Transfer Deadline Day and Transfer Round-Up

Not many moves were made on deadline day. Here are the top ten deals.

View attachment 408130

Sadly, Fulham had no incoming transfers - that's not good news for a team who need a backup striker and maybe a new left-back.
Here's the outgoing transfer list

View attachment 408129

Premier League Table

View attachment 408128

Chelsea are on fire! Fulham have had an indifferent start but atleast they have points on the board.

Guys, I'd really appreciate comments on the story, I think the idea will improve a lot in the coming seasons.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed this...will definatly be following :) I think you should do it with a promoted side from the championship in the second season

SEASON 2013/14

September 2013

Results

View attachment 407803

A very demoralizing defeat - they don't have any control over the game, too many fouls and on top of that, their best midfielder is injured.

View attachment 407802

Everton are in fine form at the moment, so I don't think Fulham can have any complaints.

View attachment 407801

Really? The one match they have more possession and they lose - to Bolton? Also, they're committing too many fouls, that probably breaks up play very often. Disappointing to go out in the 3rd round itself.

View attachment 407800

Finally, a point, the only positive outcome from this month....Magath will need more than this to keep his job.

League Table

View attachment 407799

Everton in fine form in the January update, good to see. Fulham, though are just above the relegation zone.

Injury Table (as of 1st October)

View attachment 407798

Fixtures

View attachment 407797

All 3 teams from next month are below them in the table, so I believe they should get at least 6-7 points.
However, the strikers will have to step up because they've only scored once in the last 5 games.

October 2013

Results

View attachment 407766

Well, I certainly didn't expect this! It also seems Stoke don't have the worst discipline in the Premier League.

View attachment 407765

This was a game they should have been winning, but no. After the game, Roy Hodgson spoke in support of Magath and his players.

View attachment 407764

Bent scores brilliant hattrick - he's now upto 4 goals in 5 games...Still, they're missing the swagger of Berbatov, I think.

League Table

View attachment 407763

Everton are still going strong, but sadly for West Ham and Palace, no wins yet. Fulham climbed out of the relegation zone with that last win.

Injury Table (as of 1st November 2013)

View attachment 407762

With their main keeper out for a month and a half, Fulham will find it difficult with an already weak defence.

November Fixtures

View attachment 407761

Very difficult month for Fulham. I can only see them getting points from the Sunderland game.

SEASON 2013/14

November 2013

Results

View attachment 407713

View attachment 407712

2 bore draws, Magath comes under scrutiny again as he fails to really kickstart his career in England.

View attachment 407711

Magath went into a tirade against Mourinho before the game, calling him a 'dinosaur'. Fulham probably parked the bus for the result - wonder why they don't do that every game?

View attachment 407710

Business as usual for the Cottagers.

League Table

View attachment 407709

West Ham are rooted to the bottom with no wins, a bit like QPR last season. Fulham could stay away from relegation with a better run of fixtures in winter.

Injury Table (as of 1/12/13)

View attachment 407708

Heitinga seems to be very injury prone, but he looks set to stay as he's signed a new contract.

Fixtures

View attachment 407707

Spurs and Liverpool - this season doesn't get better at all, does it?

In other News....

View attachment 407706

Oh dear....

SEASON 2013/14

December 2013

Results

View attachment 407449

Fulham held out for 40 minutes, but this game wasn't going to end with Tottenham losing, that was for sure.

View attachment 407446

A sending off, an injury and a late goal conceded - Fulham have the most rotten luck, don't they?

View attachment 407444

I don't think they're going to be winning anytime soon, that requires something called a 'goal'.

View attachment 407443

Pressure is building on Magath to save his job - they're getting outclassed every game.

View attachment 407442

Finally, a win - and one that they deserved.

View attachment 407441

Another poor performance for Fulham - must have been the limit because....

View attachment 407440

Fulham are lying just above the relegation zone and this decision was probably best for everyone.

League Table

View attachment 407439

United are now under Spalletti but they have a long way to go to catch up with Chelsea. City also sacked Pellegrini and appointed Simeone.

Fixtures

View attachment 407438

Very, very difficult month and a real test for the new manager, whoever it is.

I like the idea a lot and think it is interesting to see something other than somebody playing and constantly being successful