• Opposition Instructions:

View attachment 75591 View attachment 75589

(mark all blue icons)

1. Training

- Pre-season
    View attachment 75587
    - Once tactics are fluid
    View attachment 75584
    ... or use your Assistant Manager to control General Training and you control Match Preparation (Att. Movement)

2. Individual training

Individual training always same as roles they are playing.

3. Tips

- use attached (up) Opposition Instructions (OI)
    - buy good coaches, remember more coaches you have your tactics will be fluid quickly and your players will develop better
    - do not buy more then 4 new players to first squad on 1 transfer window

- start a season with minimum 9 friendly games to get the tactics fully fluid
    - do the motivation talks with your team every 6 matches and ALWAYS praise them whey they winning
    - praise your players individually when they perform well and warn when they are lazy
    - corners perform by players with best attribute and the opposite leg (left corner with right foot)

- remove Tackle Harder in Player Instructions from booked player during the match (if there is one) and mark Ease Off Tackles instead
    - when you are winning 3:0 at home and you control and dominate the game remove Tackle Harder in Player Instructions from all players on the pitch to avoid unnecessary yellow cards
    - when you winning and controling match you can add Take A Breather instruction at 75' (not earlier)
    - when you're ties and nothing happens change mentality to Attacking on 25' minute (change it back to Control after 15 minutes)

4. Touchline Team Talks

Team Talks | Football Manager 2017 Guide
    How To Use FM 2015 Touchline Team Talks

Always use touchline team talks during your matches.
    Example:
    ---
    0:0
    15'-20' - encourage (assertive)
    1:0
    36'-45' - concentrate (passionate)
    1:1
    50'-70' - demand more (passionate)
    2:1
    76'-90' - concentrate (passionate)
    ---

If your player is Looking nervous make individual touchline talk with him: Calm Down
    If your opponent pushing very hard talk with your team: Show Some Passion

Control the match with xPer

Good Luck & Have Fun!

Last edited:
Great results. I've worked on a similar formation with a Volante as well. Same form, but a few other player roles.
I've gotten good results as well but abandoned it after a while because I couldn't get it to feel balanced.
Some players were averaging under 7.0 over a 10 game winning streak.
Some games I would get 0 clear chance, others 10.
Just felt too volatile with the way I built it.
Would you mind posting an overview of the player stats for the season. Using something like Steam Workshop :: Squad View (Season Stats) or something like that.
Would be interesting to see the balance in the team.

This is the type of thread i was waiting! Wonderful job xPer, thank you for making FM18 enjoyable for me :D

I'll give it a try. Just two questions about your tactics:

1) Why floated crosses? Would you change it if you don't have a tall striker?
2) The right FB is on 'close down more', the left FB is not. Is that by design or an error?

I'll give it a try. Just two questions about your tactics:

1) Why floated crosses? Would you change it if you don't have a tall striker?
2) The right FB is on 'close down more', the left FB is not. Is that by design or an error?

Thank you for pointing this out. Tac file was reuploaded - please download again*.
* "Close down more" removed from right FB

When it comes to crosses feel free to change it according to your striker type. If he's strong, big with good heading leave it as Float Crosses. If your striker is smaller but quick and agile change it to Whipped or Low. Just figure it out which type of crosses fit best into your team.

Did you change anything else for the new file or did you just remove 'close down more' from the RB?

So far the tactic looks really promising. Good results at the moment.

Did you change anything else for the new file or did you just remove 'close down more' from the RB?

So far the tactic looks really promising. Good results at the moment.

no no I just remove "Close down more" from right FB - sorry my mistake wrong tac file uploaded first time
I was testing for some time "Close down more" on full backs and without it they defend better for me.
No need to redownload - just remove "Close down more" from right FB - that's all.

The setup of the centrebacks (left is CD, right is BPD) is probably by design, right? Would it make much of a difference to change it?
With Bayern I have multiple good BPD (Hummels, Boateng, Javi Martinez) while in my West Ham save I basically have nobody who can pass the ball.

The setup of the centrebacks (left is CD, right is BPD) is probably by design, right? Would it make much of a difference to change it?
With Bayern I have multiple good BPD (Hummels, Boateng, Javi Martinez) while in my West Ham save I basically have nobody who can pass the ball.

Yes that's right. If you don't have natural BPD in your team you can change that role to CD and clone it with left one.
It will not take a big impact to the tactic it self but team will lose on attack creativity during preparation phase.
However on the other hand it can strengthen your defence.

Last edited:
So far so good with Braga.

View attachment 75503

Only transfers in were Walter Gonzalez and Sergio Oliviera from Porto. Changed the crossing to mixed and it seems to have helped my strikers (Hassan and Gonzalez), they each had a brace since I changed it. Hopefully, it continues.

Yessssssssss, welcome back xPer,

Loved your advanced Warfare in 17, really hoping this one will work the same.
Using it with Watford! :)

Amazing Tactic xPer!! You're the best!! :D

Hey @xPer,

I've set-up all the OI's under the tactic screen but when I go to a match they don't show up in there. Any ides?

Hey @xPer,

I've set-up all the OI's under the tactic screen but when I go to a match they don't show up in there. Any ides?

Opposition Instructions setup:

1. First go to Staff / Responsibilities / Handle Opposition Instructions and handle it by yourself
2. Go to Tactics / Opposition Instructions:

a) Show Positions - setup xPer settings
b) Show Players - turn on Blue icons to all players (from up to down):

View attachment 75236

3. Go to match

On the PRE-MATCH screen click on SET Opposition Instructions (AUTO should be disabled)
View attachment 75235

Then you should see all BLUE icons with OI set in your Tactics
View attachment 75234

When you said you were playing this online, did you have success against 3 striker formations?