Forest Green: Climbing the Tables like Trees

troythemac

Reaction score
The-Non-League-Paper-Buy-It.jpg

Rovers appoint outspoken American as manager
by: Arnulfo Levinson

In what was seen as a shock move for Forest Green, Rover's chairman Trevor Horsley announced early that this morning that the club would be moving in an entirely new direction, and appointing Troy McArdle as manager. McArdle is expected to shake up the hierarchy of Forest Green, and the BSP in general. Dubbing himself the "non-league Arsene", McArdle has already made his plans to secure talented, young footballers clear. While the Rovers were looking towards another season of mid-table mediocrity, McArdle is already speaking about promotion. He is seen as a polarizing figure for Forest Green fans, with some loving the ambition the move showed, and others doubting the credential of a foreigner with virtually no professional managing experience. I got the chance to catch up with McArdle after his first training session yesterday.

Levinson: So, Troy, after speaking extensively about your transfer policy during the press conference regarding your hiring, do you have any players in mind already?

McArdle: Well, I haven't really gotten the chance to speak with my scouts about the type of players that we are trying to attract to the club yet. That being said, I had a few lads in mind. Johann Smith is a fellow American with blistering pace, and won't have any problems with a work permit because of how long he has already been in England. There are a couple young French players I am already looking at as well.

Levinson: Your reign is sure to come under some media scrutiny in your first few weeks. Any plans regarding formation, or player selection in the upcoming friendlies?

McArdle
: I will be using the friendlies to evaluate the talent that the club already has, and to attempt to further along the development of some of the youth players, and younger lads at the club. I intend to play a 4-2-2-2, and an exciting style, with a lot of attacking play coming from the strikers and wingers.

Levinson: You seem to already be making a commitment to your youth players. Any in particular that have stood out in training so far?

McArdle: Well, I've only been out here for a day. That being said, Reese Styche has showed a lot of determination, and I could see him being among the goals this year. Eddie Oshodi also looked very good, and versatile, with good enough touch and confidence to play in the middle of the defense, or out left.

Levinson: Interesting. Will your club look to accrue any talent via loans?

McArdle
: I am primarily interested in deploying young talent that we can nurture and develop for years to come, rather than renting talent from a larger club. That being said, sometimes loans are beneficial for both sides, and can often work out to permanent deals. I might bring in a player or two to look at, but loans will never be my primary method of gathering players.

Levinson:
Thank you for your time, Mr. McArdle. I'll let you get back to the team. Good luck in your upcoming friendlies.

Last edited:
sky-sports-new-logo-252.jpg

McArdle instantly adds offense, signs 2 wingers
by: Romario Jenkins

In what was seen as an optimistic day in Rover's history, McArdle has secured the signatures of two talented wingers for the upcoming season. The young Forest Green manager quickly penned American Johann Smith on a free transfer. Johann is expected to start on the left wing, relegating James Norwood to the bench. McArdle has spoken repeatedly of his excitement about having a player with such pace in the BSP. Smith is expected to stretch defenses, and get some crosses in after outrunning outside backs.

The "other" Yohan, Yohan Mathis, is McArdle's second coup of the day. The talented 20-year-old French right winger had been without a club, and is happy for any opportunity to get back into football. Being 12 years younger than the other competent right winger Charlie Griffin, McArdle's commitment to youth is already becoming evident. There will be a press conference held to introduce the players at 3:00 P.M. tomorrow
yohanmathis-200x300.jpg

Mathis is pictured above