Form or ability?

mikelfc

Reaction score
When you pick your side, do you choose the best players regardless of how they have been performing over the past few games? Or do you pick the player who's been getting the better results?
I'll give you an example:
In my Liverpool save, I play a narrow 4-1-1-3-1. Arda Turan is one of my best three attacking midfielders, so on that basis I would pick him. However, Babel has been performing well recently (far better than Turan), including a couple of great goals in my last game. I can't decide who to pick, Babel for the short term as currently I'm on a decent run of results, or Turan for the long term as ability wise he is better than Babel. The problem is it might take time for him to find his form, and its possible my tactics aren't suiting him. However I'm loath to change them as it might affect the rest of the team's performance as I'm not sure how the game works.
So my question is, do you pick on form (short term) or ability (regardless of form)?

pick them on form its the most sensible thing to do, just because somebody has good sttributes dont mean they will play well

I know what you mean but if you know a player can play well then what do you do? How long are you prepared to wait for them to rediscover that form before you lose patience with them?

FORM!!!! Just because a player has 20 Long shooting doesnt mean he will score a long shot in your next match. If you screw around in the editor a while, you will find the formula for consistency. 1-20, 1 being 1/20 matches in best form 20 means 20/20 in best form. The player in form will be performing at his best, despite his crappy ability.

And for a player to regain his form is not really in your hands, keep his morale high, encourage him through team talk and etc and play him in the way he wants to. My rooney lost out to macheda in my first team spot, Macheda scored 7 goals in 4 starts while rooney sulked in 3 goals in 9 starts.

A mixture really. I might see a player on form but decide not to sign him as he would usually be poor. However I may take a gamble on a good player in bad form.

I see, I'd forgotten about the consistency attribute.
But, with your example, what if Rooney had scored 30 goals in 25 starts before hitting that bad period. Then what do you do? Macheda is the one scoring at the present, yet you know that Rooney is better overall (by ability I don't necessarily mean their stats, but what you know they are capable of over a sustained period of time).

You can slowly substitute the player, Start the player who has good form, then once he has done his best, bring in the other player to get his motor running. And depending on your player, its usually a matter of time before they hit their peak again.

I normally go for a mixture of both. But morale and condition are far more important IMO