ArchieGemmo

Reaction score
Could anyone suggest a formation to use against the likes of chelsea/man utd/man city/arsenal esp. away from home? Really struggling to pick up any point away to these teams.

Strength of my teams probably the wingers so ideally it would be a formation to utilize these although i would consider alternative formations as they can both play CAM.

Cheers,
ArchieGemmo

I always play a 4-1-2-2-1 set to Counter and Rigid against the bigger teams and I always seem to do very well in general.

I am at work at the moment but from memory I set team instructions out to play direct football, pass into space, Clear ball to flanks, play wider, cross more often, hit crosses early, Hassle opponents, stay on feet and mark tightly, be more disciplined.

My individual instructions are roughly as follows (depending on the team I put out and the team I am playing):

GK - Distribute quickly. Distribute to wingers
RB – FB – Stick to position.
CB – LD - Stopper - Shorter Passing. Tight Marking
CB – BPD - Cover - More direct passing.
LB – FB - Stick to position.
DM - Half Back – Simple passes. Close down more. Fewer risky passes.
CM - DLP - Look to pass out wide. Simple Passes
CM – AP – Roam from position. Look to pass out wide. Risky passes
RW – W – Stay out wide. Early crosses.
LW – W - Stay out wide. Early crosses.
ST – P or TM – Stick to position. Simple passes.

It seems to work a treat for me, hope it helps.

I have the exact same problem, so I m going to test this too.

Bullardinho, can you post a few sceenshots of your setup?

If you're using wingers I would suggest using them in the ML/MR rather than AML/AMR, gives more defensive stability against these kinds of teams. So a 4141 or a 4411 depending on their formation and how defensive you want to play.

Against United I'd go for 3 at the back as they often play a classic 433. Chelsea/City/Arsenal/Tottenham should primarily be 4231
judging by their squads.

I always play a 4-1-2-2-1 set to Counter and Rigid against the bigger teams and I always seem to do very well in general.

I am at work at the moment but from memory I set team instructions out to play direct football, pass into space, Clear ball to flanks, play wider, cross more often, hit crosses early, Hassle opponents, stay on feet and mark tightly, be more disciplined.

My individual instructions are roughly as follows (depending on the team I put out and the team I am playing):

GK - Distribute quickly. Distribute to wingers
RB – FB – Stick to position.
CB – LD - Stopper - Shorter Passing. Tight Marking
CB – BPD - Cover - More direct passing.
LB – FB - Stick to position.
DM - Half Back – Simple passes. Close down more. Fewer risky passes.
CM - DLP - Look to pass out wide. Simple Passes
CM – AP – Roam from position. Look to pass out wide. Risky passes
RW – W – Stay out wide. Early crosses.
LW – W - Stay out wide. Early crosses.
ST – P or TM – Stick to position. Simple passes.

It seems to work a treat for me, hope it helps.

Good advice guys,,, I would try it
g.png

If you're using wingers I would suggest using them in the ML/MR rather than AML/AMR, gives more defensive stability against these kinds of teams. So a 4141 or a 4411 depending on their formation and how defensive you want to play.

Against United I'd go for 3 at the back as they often play a classic 433. Chelsea/City/Arsenal/Tottenham should primarily be 4231
judging by their squads.

Cheers for the input guys. Tested a formation last night which i beat Liverpool at home and Southampton away easily!

I couldn't get the counter attacking system to work so i tried a more high pressure system in the hope that i can win the ball back in the oppositions half and reduce there chances on goal. Still to come up against a top 4 team away from home but so far its looking promising!

I didnt have any succes at all against bigger teams, when I tested it last night.

Seems like completely giving up possession and letting the other team attack over and over untill they score - without creating any chances yourself.

Would love to be able to counter attack getting a few big chances every game, but I find that the front three never touch the ball (let alone my entire team).

Could you specify a way to counter more efficiently and not letting the opponent get a lot of CCC's?

Readyt to test out any sound advice, cheers