Formation out of possession / Tracking back

Toecrusher

Reaction score
Hi couple of questions on defensive tactics.

1) Is there a way of having two formations - like a 4231 in possession and a 442 out of possession

2) Is there a way to give a forward or attacking player an instruction to NOT track back? For instance if the player is Messi, unless he plays as a STC he is always running up and down the pitch whereas I would like to play him at AMC and not track back. Tried trequarista in AMC but he is still running back to help the defense.

You can't say an STC or AMC; don't go back via TI or PI.

Understanding Roles in FM: 1, 2, 3

So in other words the way to 'solve' for the issue is to choose the correct role that will behave as described in your linked articles?

So in other words the way to 'solve' for the issue is to choose the correct role that will behave as described in your linked articles?

From what I know so far, only Poacher and SS have limited defence capabilities; but you need to balance the rest player roles & PI to support SS or Poacher.

You can't say an STC or AMC; don't go back via TI or PI.

Understanding Roles in FM: 1, 2, 3

The article seems to indicate that an AM on Attack doesn't track back, however mine does too much, running the most kms of anyone on the field even with low work rate. Strange.

Wonder if the AM will stay forward on defence if I ask him to mark the CB position.

Of course will track back. Don't forget you set DL, LoE etc.

But I guess that's my question.

I am trying to make Messi play his real-life role in the game which is basically
1) In possession : Starting attacking position is at the right central side of the pitch at the top of the final third (i.e. not too far forward), so that he can drive forward with dribbling, has space to make through passes to the front line, and gets into the box to finish off moves (e.g. full back cutbacks)
2) In defence: Basically don't defend or track back to conserve energy. Just stay as one of the two most forward players.
3) In transition: Be available near the midfield area to start playmaking

But havent found a combination of player role, TI and PI that allows that. With AM he is tracking back in defence, with Trequarista he doesnt get into the box often, and with Shadow Striker he is too far forward and cant build plays from midfield....

Last edited: