Formula One Discussion Thread

What does everyone think of the new TV deal with Sky? Personally I'm disgusted its going to cost me £30 a month to watch races when Bernie Ecclestone claimed it would never happen :S

I for one am disgusted. Even though I have sky when I found out out that the sacrificed half of the race for Wimbledon, I was horrified. Wimbledon is a week long event. They also did it to save The Open. I am pretty sure F1 Viewership figures are higher than The Open.Also Bernie had an offer from channel 4, same money as sky aswell, and Bernie promised us, and he had the chance and he went to sky instead of free to air.I am disgusted.Partly on BBC for sacrificing it for The Open, and Bernie for declining the offer of Channel 4 which was the same as Sky's.

BBC didn't want it (or couldn't afford it). Maybe they'd be able to afford it if they didn't perennially overpay their presenters and such and cut out all of the inefficiency in the company.

I for one am disgusted. Even though I have sky when I found out out that the sacrificed half of the race for Wimbledon, I was horrified. Wimbledon is a week long event. They also did it to save The Open. I am pretty sure F1 Viewership figures are higher than The Open.Also Bernie had an offer from channel 4, same money as sky aswell, and Bernie promised us, and he had the chance and he went to sky instead of free to air.I am disgusted.Partly on BBC for sacrificing it for The Open, and Bernie for declining the offer of Channel 4 which was the same as Sky's.

You're disgusted the BBC don't get rid of the Open, the oldest, and only one held in Britain, golf major in the world? Also, one of the most famed and historical tournaments across any sport...

Hoping for another good performance from Ferrari this weekend and in particular Fernando Alonso. The pace has been looking good over the last couple of races ago.

What does everyone think of the new TV deal with Sky? Personally I'm disgusted its going to cost me £30 a month to watch races when Bernie Ecclestone claimed it would never happen :S

As i work for Sky i am going to be totally bias and say it is a good thing, but we wont go into that :)....but the blame surely has to be put on the Beebs shoulders.....Sky customers pay alot for their tv, so Sky keep trying to better them selves so every one gets more value for their money, and by clinching the F1 deal, they are adding to the value for money....did any one ever watch it when SKy had the rights before? it was pretty good.....no doubt we'll have some racing in 3d too....wooo

Absolute joke mr Ecclestone!! There is no doubt what this man is motivated by and its not leaving a legacy. My family has been bought up watching motor racing etc and i went off once i discovered other things but in the last 3 years i have got back into it again but no way in **** am i paying to watch F1 not a chance!!! They will lose so many viewers and money in the long run Sky will cancel their broadcasting mark my words.

Absolute joke mr Ecclestone!! There is no doubt what this man is motivated by and its not leaving a legacy. My family has been bought up watching motor racing etc and i went off once i discovered other things but in the last 3 years i have got back into it again but no way in **** am i paying to watch F1 not a chance!!! They will lose so many viewers and money in the long run Sky will cancel their broadcasting mark my words.

Very real possibility of that happening, but if Sky rake in fortunes due to advertising, then they wont drop it. Remember when Cricket went from being on Free to air tv to Sky, there were alot of people moaning about that, but nothing really happened, Sky are still showing it. Can't help but think the Beeb have dropped the racing to help pay for the Olympics

With any luck, Sky WON'T hire Martin Blundell as commentator. He is so boring and his bias opinions towards Lewis Hamilton is getting very old now. Bring back Murray Walker sky!

With any luck, Sky WON'T hire Martin Blundell as commentator. He is so boring and his bias opinions towards Lewis Hamilton is getting very old now. Bring back Murray Walker sky!
True, he is very biased. Coultard is a good one, always good to have a former driver and current test driver analysing as he knows what he's on about. Chances are it will be Ben Shepard and co.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

You're disgusted the BBC don't get rid of the Open, the oldest, and only one held in Britain, golf major in the world? Also, one of the most famed and historical tournaments across any sport...

Yes, but these things arn't weekley or bi-weekley. They happen just once in a year. Overall there would be more viewers for the F1 than the Open.

Wow, great last lap! Happy with fourth and firth but would rather Alonso be ahead of Massa. Getting very bored with Red Bull now, someone needs to come up with a way to stop them and fast.. happy to see Lewis Hamilton not on pole though, one driver I can not stand.

Not to bothered about the Sky deal, guess BBC had to cut the cost. Sky seem to be quite keen on the idea so hopefully will put in the effort.

Got my hospitality tickets for the Abu Dhabi grand Prix again, going to be great.

Not to bothered about the Sky deal, guess BBC had to cut the cost. Sky seem to be quite keen on the idea so hopefully will put in the effort. Got my hospitality tickets for the Abu Dhabi grand Prix again, going to be great.
Lucky you. Don't they cost an arm and a leg?

Martin Brundle and Mark Blundell are two different peeps :p

I have to disagree, i think Brundle is very fair and honest - i cerntainly dont think he's biased towards Hamilton - sure he would like to see the British guys beat the others but thats just patriotism, not bias. He gives just as much credit to Alonso and Vettel as he does Hamilton, which is deserved as they are without doubt the three best drivers in F1 currently.

Regarding the SKY TV deal, i dont currently pay for SKY sports so naturally this disappoints me a little but to people who already pay for SKY sports then it shouldn't be an issue - i dont see them doing Pay-Per-View so therefore SKY sports subscribers wont be paying any more than before.

SKY's coverage might end up being more in depth and more enjoyable for the hardcores. Maybe more spin offs like an 'F1 Years' program something similar to 'Premiership Years', this would be great in my opinion. The only problem is for those who dont currently pay for SKY sports - to be honset, having already got sky i was planning to get sports at some point anyway for the footy. As long as they keep F1 away fro PPV then i think we should give them a chance

It's not going to be PPV, they've already said. If it went to C4 too it would have adverts mid-race, which is just terrible. ITV's coverage was god awful.

It's not going to be PPV, they've already said. If it went to C4 too it would have adverts mid-race, which is just terrible. ITV's coverage was god awful.

God, almighty if it was PPV they would face a lot of backlash. To be fair after mulling over it, I'm good with it, and even if Im away from home, we have sky player eh? so accessibility wouldnt be a problem although I do find BBC's coverage with DC, EJ and JH quite funny and entertaining.

God, almighty if it was PPV they would face a lot of backlash. To be fair after mulling over it, I'm good with it, and even if Im away from home, we have sky player eh? so accessibility wouldnt be a problem although I do find BBC's coverage with DC, EJ and JH quite funny and entertaining.

It's not like all of the Beeb's coverage has gone either, they still have highlights etc. right?

UpdateF1 >> Formula 1 News > DRS banned at Eau Rouge

so for the whole weekend the drivers won't be allowed to use the drs system through eau rouge now, what do you guys think about it and where do you think the activation zone will be, personally i'd like to see it either going into les combes or the bus stop chicane (which should be shaped into a bus stop like back in 04). Personally i think that les combes would be slightly better although you see a few passes in both of those places anyway so it might be best somewhere like into la source or rivage.

Last edited: