Fortuna Sittard

Disappointing end to the cup and Europe League but at least you have the league title and will have Champions League football to look forward to

Yea the league was the one I wanted this year, so was pleased to get our title back. Would have been nice to win a cup as well, but my main target was achieved so has to be seen as a good season. Another year of Champions League money next season will be massive for the continued development of the club too.

1711875664265.png

END OF SEASON 2029/30 REVIEW

1711875806390.png

Competition Winners

1711875831636.png

A record breaking Eredivisie campaign saw us win the total whilst recording the most amount of league wins and the most amount of points in a single season ever!

4. league.JPG

We came as close as you can come to a domestic double, but defeat in the final of the Dutch Cup robbed us of it.

4. cup.JPG

Again a decent showing in European competition but losing that quarter final to Spurs still hurts as we were definitely the better side over both legs.

4, europa league.JPG

The New Arrivals

4. new arrivals.JPG

Best 11

4. best 11.JPG

Looking at the overall best 11 since my time here, I now have four players in the 200+ games played club!

4. overall best 11.JPG

Club Awards

4. club awards.JPG

League Awards

4. league award 1.JPG

4. league award 2.JPG

4. league award 3.JPG

4. league award 4.JPG

The following of the football club has again seen a sharp increase in social media followers of more than 1.4 million!! We also have a season ticket waiting list with more people on it than our current stadium even holds!

4. supporters.JPG

As far as the board are concerned, we are established as one of the best clubs in the country now and Champions League qualification is the bare minimum expectation moving forward.

4. board.JPG

The Commercials

4. commercials.JPG

The Finances

4. finances.JPG

Earlier in the season, I asked the board to increase the stadium capacity to which their initial response was to increase by about 4,000. However, those plans were put on hold and we will now get over 7,000 new seats instead!

4. stadium.JPG

1711965177007.png

Chapter 61
First £50 million + Sale
2nd September 2030

Outgoing:
My first sale of the Summer is one of the ageing players in the squad. Gijs Smal signed for £3.7 million 4 seasons ago and has been a key figure in the squad with major contribution to our two title winning seasons. He hit double figure assists for three straight seasons but was outshone by Vasilis Zagaritis last year and he is soon to turn 33 years old, so I was happy to move him on. He joins Lorient for £3.5 million.

5.1 smal.JPG

5.1 smal stats.JPG

Outgoing: Then there was a sale I hadn't planned on. However, when Crystal Palace offered us £51 million for Enoch Mastoras, it was just an amount of money I couldn't refuse! The right back has been with us for 6 seasons from a teenager when he signed from AZ for just £3.6 million. He's been my first choice in that position and has been an ultra consistent performer, winning the young player of the year award at the club twice. Sorry to see him go, but we did get a massive amount of money for him!

5.2 mastoras.JPG

5.2 mastoras stats.JPG

Incoming: The replacement for Mastoras is 26 year old Italian, Filippo Missori, who signs from Empoli for £8.5 million (all up front). To get a player that looks as rounded as him for just a fraction of the money we brought in for Mastoras is a great deal in my book!

5.3 missori.JPG

Our pre season campaign saw us win every game, scoring a tonne of goals on a Portuguese tour against smaller sides in the country. We rounded things off with a good win against Palace and I feel suitably prepared going into our clash with Feyenoord in the Johan Cruijff Schaal.

5.4 pre season.JPG

Incoming: The morning of the game, we are able to announce a new signing and I'm delighted to add another Dutch player to the ranks after losing Mastoras and Smal this Summer. Ray van den Berg comes in from Middlesbrough for a fee of £23 million (£21.5 million up front) and boosts our defensive options. Great to add such a versatile player who can cover anywhere across the back line, although I'll primarily look to utilize the 6ft 4" defender at centre back.

5.5 van den berg.JPG

It took a penalty shootout to separate the two best sides in the country (based on last season) and it was a shootout we came out on top of, so we lift the Johan Cruijff Schaal for the second time.

5.6 feyenoord.JPG

We turn our attentions to the start of the Eredivisie season and our first two games will be against two of the only three sides to beat us in the league last season, so not necessarily the easiest start.

5.7 start.JPG

Despite being the current champions, we are not favourites to retain it this season, but instead Ajax are hot favourites which surprises me with how poor they were last year. We only have Cristian Aguero retaining his place in the media dream 11.

5.8 preview.JPG

We did start the campaign with a win. A strong performance which saw us have 23 shots at goal so it was never in doubt and a comfortable 2-0 victory to kick things off.

5.9 NEC.JPG

Our unbeaten start to the season lasted just 1 game this season though as we were beaten by Ajax in our 2nd match. A really poor and slow start from us allowed them two score twice in the opening 8 minutes, through new £79 million signing Nicolas Jackson (from Chelsea). We were the better side after that, but not good enough to get back on level terms.

5.10 ajax.JPG

We did get right back to winning ways against Heracles, although we still struggled to put the ball in the back of the net, scoring only 2 of our 22 chances.

5.11 heracles.JPG

With us, Ajax and Feyenoord all dropping points in the opening games, it was AZ that led the way with 3 wins from 3 in the early stages.

5.12 az top.JPG

Our next game was against the early leaders and going into the last 12 minutes of the match, there had only been 1 goal as our opponents led us. Then things went a little crazy and four goals were shared by the two sides, with us coming out on top through Bob Monaghan's 86th minute winner!

5.13 az.JPG

And that result tightened things right up at the top of the table in these early stages, with just a single point separating 1st to 6th.

5.14 league.JPG

Meanwhile, the Champions League fixtures are announced and we have some really tough games ahead of us in the league phase of the competition.

5.15 champs league.JPG

1712253796788.png

Chapter 62
Season Officially Kickstarted
17th October 2030

The Summer transfer window again comes to a close and here are the biggest deals (over £20 million) across Europe from the last few months.

6.1 june.JPG

6.1 july.JPG

6.1 august.JPG

6.1 september.JPG

So far this season, I didn't think we'd looked hugely impressive and when we went 1-0 down to NAC within the opening 2 minutes I have to admit I was concerned for a second. However, this match actually turned out to be our best performance of the season so far as we went on to put 6 past them and record a comfortable win in the end.

6.2 NAC.JPG

Fair play to NAC though as they bounce back immediately to beat one of our title rivals in their next game!

6.3 nac feyenoord.JPG

We took full advantage of Feyenoord's slip up by beating Go Ahead Eagles to leapfrog them in the table.

6.4 go ahead.JPG

Abdallah Sima has been one of my favourite players of my career so far with Sittard. The man I signed from Brighton for just £1.7 million back in 2025 has been one of my most consistent players year on year and now has 49 league goals in 102 appearances for us from the right wing!

6.5 sima.JPG

6.5 sima stats.JPG

Our first Champions League game of the season was one of our more winnable fixtures, so I felt it was a must win game if we are to have any hopes of progressing past the league phase of the competition. So I was pleased to see my lads go out there and make light work of Galatasaray.

6.6 galatasaray.JPG

The game against Cambuur came just 4 days later, so I made 8 changes to the starting lineup. Despite the changes, we still turned in a solid performance to chalk up another 3 points.

6.7 cambuur.JPG

Half the reason I rotated so heavily is becase we had a massive Champions League clash against Man City just 3 days afterwards. It was City who knocked us out of the competition 2 years ago after two tightly contested games in the knockout playoff round.

6.8 city previous.JPG

Again, we keep things tight on the scoreline, despite being dominated for large periods of the game. A very good point away from home!

6.9 man city.JPG

Another strong defensive performance back in the Eredivise was the foundation of another win.

6.10 sparta.JPG

With all of our main rivals dropping points over the same weekend, we've managed to open up a nice little 4 point lead at the top.

6.11 4 point lead.JPG

The stadium work has now been completed and we have expanded our capacity to over 25,000 which is double what we had to offer when I took over the club!

6.12 stadium.JPG

It also means we now have the 5th biggest stadium in the country.

6.13 stadiums in country.JPG

Our next game would be away though, at Feyenoord, and we earned a decent draw at their place. We seemed well in control of this one for about an hour, limiting them to just 1 shot and then they upped their game in the last half hour to come back at us and in the end we were holding on a little for the point.

6.14 feyenoord.JPG

We marked our first game in our new improved stadium with a comfortable victory over Heerenveen, in front of a club record attendance of 25,031 fans!

6.15 heerenveen.JPG

6.15 record.JPG

After 10 games, we sit top of the table with a 5 point lead over four clubs all sitting on 20 points behind us.

6.16 league.JPG

1712427455593.png

Chapter 63
Opening Up A Decent Lead
11th December 2030

We were far from our best against PEC Zwolle, but when you create 27 chances in a single game, you probably don't need to be as law of averages says you'll score at least a couple to get you the win, which is exactly what happened here.

7.1 zwolle.JPG

Then we headed off to Italy for a really tough game against Napoli. Just as we did against Man City, we put up a brave effort but this time we weren't able to take anything from the game. We are, however, proving that we can mix it with some of the better teams in Europe now.

7.2 napoli.JPG

Our next Champions League game will pit us against Italian opposition again in the form of Monza, but before that we had two more Eredivisie to play. Playing against two sides in the bottom half of the table, 6 points was duly delivered.
7.3 excelsior.JPG

7.3 roda.JPG

It was the perfect platform to lead us into a Champions League game that I felt we could definitely win. And I wasn't wrong as we cruise past Monza with relative ease. Rodiney's goal here took him into double figures for the season and the young Brazilian is continuing to prove he can be the main man up top for us.

7.4 monza.JPG

On ten occasions last season, we scored 6 or more goals in a game which is quite incredible really! Against ADO Den Haag, we scored 6 for the third time this season too and we are becoming well versed in handing out a battering to lesser sides.

7.5 den haag.JPG

We probably could have had another 6 against Volendam after creating 30 chances against them. However, on this occasion just the two will do.

7.6 volendam.JPG

Back in the Champions League, we gave ourselves another boost to our chances of qualifying for the next round with a win out in Austria.

7.7 rb salzburg.JPG

But the win came at a cost as I lose one of my biggest attacking threats for at least the next 2 months!

7.8 injury.JPG

However, the absence of Sima didn't seem to effect us against PSV as we beat them yet again! Our record against them is nothing short of incredible!

7.9 psv.JPG

That's now 16 games since I took over as Fortuna Sittard boss that PSV have failed to beat us!

7.10 psv history.JPG

FC Utrecht were next to fall to defeat against us. Things were a little nervey as we led 1-0 for a long time, but once we got the 2nd goal, the result was never really in any doubt.

7.11 utrecht.JPG

Massive game up next against Ajax, who have beaten us in our last two meetings, including being the only team to beat us so far this season. It's 1st vs 2nd in the table!

7.12 ajax previous.JPG

It was a game we should have won! We were on top for 90 minutes and created so many chances. However, squandering most of them and only putting the ball in the back of the Ajax net once saw us punished by our opponents as they ****** a lucky point right at the death.

7.13 ajax.JPG

Still, that point does keep us 7 points ahead of both Ajax and Feyenoord as we have passed the half way stage of the season. We're in a nice position right now, especially with both Ajax fixtures played and out the way.

7.14 league.JPG

In the Champions League, we did grab a big win out in France, with Bob Monaghan coming off the bench to bag a brace on our way to 3 points.

7.15 nice.JPG

It's a win that keeps us firmly in the top 8 with 2 games to play. Our final two matches will be against Dortmund and Inter so we still have plenty of work to do if we want auto qualification into the last 16!

7.16 champs league.JPG

making the league look easy now. Hopefully keep it going and can secure the title again

1712493484077.png

Chapter 64
Progress On All Fronts
2nd February 2031

Our final Eredivisie game before the Winter break was against 17th placed N.E.C and they weren't expected to pose us much of a problem...and they didn't!

8.1 NEC.JPG

Our very last game of 2030 was in the Dutch Cup. It's Ajax for us in the Second Round of the KNVB Beker this season and although it isn't ideal to be drawing them so early in the competition, it is at least a massive opportunity for both clubs to get rid of one of our main rivals. So far in the cup, we've met twice before and it's 1-1.

8.2 ajax cup previous.JPG

Just as we did in the league game last month, we dominated the game and created multiple chances. Just as we did before, we took a 1-0 lead! But not as before, we didn't concede this time and hold on for a massive result to knock Ajax out of the competition!

8.3 ajax.JPG

Heracles were up next for us in the Eredivisie...a team we have won 15 straight matches against!

8.4 15 wins.JPG

Make that 16 wins in a row!

8.5 heracles.JPG

It was a quick return to the Dutch Cup and we cruise past lower league Top OSS. The game was over inside 27 minutes with us already 5-0 up and I found myself subbing key players after just half an hour to rest them.

8.6 top oss.JPG

After us knocking Ajax out, Feyenoord have now been dumped out by NAC at an early stage. With our two biggest rivals out of the competition already, we have to be targeting the trophy this season now!

8.7 feyenoord out.JPG

Being able to rest key players proved vital as we took on Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League and a solid defensive performance ensured that Rodiney's 19th minute strike was enough for a massive win!

8.8 dortmund.JPG

Our final game of the league phase will be against Inter Milan in 8 days time and a draw will be enough for us to secure a top 8 finish and a place in the last 16.

8.9 champs league.JPG

Incoming: The January window has been very quiet for us so far, but I was approached by the agent for Brazilian forward, Kaio Jorge, to see if we would be interested in signing him. He has been without a club since being released by ATM at the end of his contract and I was more than happy to snap up the ex Juventus player on a free transfer.

8.10 kaio jorge.JPG

Before the showdown with Inter Milan, we had a league game with AZ to play and I put new striker, Kaio Jorge, into the starting lineup for this one. The new man made his contribution as he got the assist for our equalizer as we come from behind to win.

8.11 az.JPG

Our Champions League encounter with Inter looked like it was getting off to the perfect start when we were awarded a penalty as early as the 5th minute. However, Miguel Reisinho missed the spot kick and that set the tone for one of our worst performances of the season as we are well beaten at home. The only positive I can really take it seeing Kaio Jorge come off the bench to get his first goal for the club.

8.12 inter.JPG

Despite the defeat, we do still finish 6th in the league phase and secure safe passage through to the last 16. It's a fantastic achievement to go through and avoid having to play in the knockout playoff where we were eliminated from the competition on our only other appearance in it.

8.13 champs league.JPG

Incoming: On transfer deadline day, I forked out £10 million (all up front) to sign former Spanish U21 International centre back, Andres Cuenca. He comes in from Bodo/Glimt and at just 23 years of age, he should spend his prime years at the club.

8.14 cuenca.JPG

Outgoing: Bob Monaghan leaves the club before the Dutch window closes. He has only featured in 23 league games over the past 2 seasons, scoring 12 times, but with the recent arrival of Kaio Jorge and some decent striker prospects coming through the youth I just didn't see much of a future for the Scot at the club. He returns to the UK where he'll play for Derby County after they paid us £18.5 million to sign him. It's a good return on a player I only paid £4.8 million to sign.

8.16 monaghan.JPG

Back to the action on the pitch and we resumed winning ways against NAC, despite not being at our best.

8.17 nac.JPG

With 12 games of the season remaining, we are 9 points clear at the top. Surely it's ours to lose from here!

8.18 league.JPG

Haven't played FM in ages. Just started playing 24 recently and enjoying reading career stories.
And I must say I love your content!

Keep up the good work.

1713085190417.png

Chapter 65
The Worst Possible Champions League Draw
14th March 2031

Not an ideal start to this update as we lose new striker Kaio Jorge to injury for up to 6 weeks!

9.1 injury.JPG

Even without him, we comfortably progress to the semi final of the Dutch Cup with 4 goal victory over FC Emmen.

9.2 emmen.JPG

It looks very much set up for a final between us and AZ and I have to be honest that I'll be bitterly disappointed if we don't lift the trophy this year from here.

9.3 semi draw.JPG

Juan Hernandez was in sensational form as he scored a brace in a man of the match performance as we beat Go Ahead pretty easily in the Eredivisie.

9.4 go ahead.JPG

The Spaniard is having a decent season and now has 11 goals and 6 assists in 28 appearances in all competitions. He's proving to be an absolute bargain at just £5 million from Barcelona.

9.5 hernandez.JPG

He's now attracting interest from Spanish clubs, but to prize him away, he'll cost them at least £40 million + now!

9.6 intreested.JPG

Another 3 points were chalked up against Cambuur, even though our performance was nowhere near as dominant as it has been of late. But we are defending well and this was our third clean sheet in a row.

9.7 cambuur.JPG

And it's another clean sheet as we cruise through to the final of the KNVB Beker! We are just 1 win away from winning our 3rd Dutch Cup under my management.

9.8 ado den haag cup.JPG

It was time for the Champions League last 16 draw and from the pool of unseeded teams, it's fair to say I was hoping for a draw against Club Brugge. Failing that, Real Sociedad and Lyon would be preferable!

9.9 unseeded.JPG

But luck wasn't on our side in the draw and we have one of the toughest ties we could possibly have ahead of us now!

9.10 draw.JPG

PSG are the current holders and have won the competition twice in the last five years! It really doesn't get any tougher for us!

9.11 holders.JPG

Before heading out to Paris for the 1st leg, we would appreciate a game against much easier opposition in the Eredivisie.

9.12 sparta.JPG

We were dominated by PSG in all honesty. However, we did at least manage to restrict the score to 2-0 and give ourselves a slim chance of turning it around in the 2nd leg...although we'll have to play much better than we did here to do so!

9.13 psg.JPG

Of all the league games to have sandwiched between the two legs, Feyenoord were not ideal opponents as I wouldn't have any opportunity to rest my best players, or it would at least be a big risk to do so.

9.14 sandwiched.JPG

We have a healthy lead in the league so I decided it was a risk worth taking and we still managed to get the win so it paid off! A massive result in the title race!

9.15 feyenoord.JPG

It was a result that saw us take a massive leap towards the league title and probably dumps Feyenoord out of the race. With just 8 games to go, Ajax are our main threat, but they still remain 9 points back and we have already played them twice, so they will be relying on us losing 3 games whilst they win all of their remaining!

9.16 league.JPG

All of our efforts will now go into a potential domestic double as we are out of the Champions League. It was a brave effort from my lads in the 2nd leg against PSG and if Filippo Ranocchia hadn't two footed Mbappe and subsequently seen red just before half time, we might just have turned this game around ya know!

9.17 psg.JPG

1713600828871.png

Chapter 66
Looking To Finish Strong
19th May 2031

PSV did us a massive favour by beating Ajax before we took on Heerenveen. If we win our game in hand, we could now go 12 points clear at the top!

1.1 psv beat ajax.JPG

And we did just that! Great performance away from home against the side sitting 4th in the table.

1.2 heerenveen.JPG

And we followed it up with another win against Zwolle. Good to see two products of our youth academy on the scoresheet!

1.3 zwolle.JPG

This year's youth intake is pretty average, although there is one player that excites me for the future.

1.4 youth intake.JPG

Ton van der Plas is only 15 years old and has some impressive states for an attacking midfielder. If he develops well, he could be a future first teamer for us.

1.5 van der plas.JPG

He is tipped as potentially being the next Xavi Simons. Could be worse than being compared to a Real Madrid regular.

1.6 next xavi.JPG

1.6 xavi.JPG

Our next game would be a personal milestone for me as it would be my 400th as manager of Fortuna Sittard.

1.7 400 games.JPG

And we marked the occasion with a big win over our fiercest rivals.

1.8 roda.JPG

Excelsior did well to get a couple of goals against us on the break, but they were no real match for us as we put 5 past them! It brings us to within a single win from retaining our Eredivisie title.

1.9 excelsior.JPG

1.9 1 more win.JPG

In the space of the next week, we could complete a domestic double as we face AZ in the Dutch Cup final and then if we can beat ADO Den Haag then the league title will be ours too.

1.10 week.JPG

Part 1 is complete in dominant fashion as AZ were barely even able to muster up a chance against us! We are Dutch Cup winners for the 3rd time under my leadership!

1.11 cup win.JPG

1.11 cup win 2.JPG

Part 2 was completed seven days later in emphatic fashion! We are officially Eredivisie champions again and double winners too!

1.12 league win.JPG

We finished the season well, remaining unbeaten in our final three games despite already having the title sewn up.

1.13 last 3.JPG

So it's comfortable in the end with a 10 point gap at the top and Feyenoord will be bitterly disappointed with their lack of title challenge this season, being a massive 21 points off the pace!

1.14 league.JPG

With the season coming to a close, the board release the budgets for next season, but I do have a couple of deals already sorted for when the window opens (which were completed in April out of the remainder of this season's budget) but we will get to them later.

1.15 budgets.JPG

1713631115297.png

END OF SEASON 2030/31 REVIEW

2. season.JPG

Competition Winners

2. winners.JPG

The Eredivisie campaign for us was near perfect this year, winning 30 of our 34 games and losing just once on our way to the title.

2. league.JPG

Eredivisie Season Stats

2. season stats.JPG

When Ajax (knocked out by us) and Feyenoord were both out of the Dutch Cup early on, we targeted the trophy and went on to win it to complete the domestic double.

2. cup.JPG

We gave a good account of ourselves in the Champions League this season, competing with some of the best sides in Europe in individual games. PSG was not an ideal draw for the last 16 and proved too strong for us.

2. champs league.JPG

Overall Squad Stats

2. squad stats.JPG

The New Arrivals

2. new arrivals.JPG

The Best 11

2. best 11.JPG

Club Awards

2. awards.JPG

League Awards

2. league award 1.JPG

2. league award 2.JPG

2. league award 3.JPG

Another great season ensured our popularity keeps on growing, with over 1.3 million new followers gained on social media this year. Our season ticket waiting list is also nearly 40,000 strong now too!

2. supporters.JPG

Which is going to be helped by our stadium gaining another 10,000 seats!

2. stadium.JPG

And the training facilities are getting a new upgrade to keep them as state of the art too.

2. training facilities.JPG

As far as the board are concerned now, anything less than winning the Eredivisie will now be seen as failure in the coming seasons.

2. board.JPG

We continue to develop relationships with clubs around the world to enhance our global reputation and the latest affiliation is in China.

2. affiliation.JPG

The Commercials

2. commercials.JPG

The Finances

2. finances.JPG

1713709735840.png

Chapter 67
An Elite Signing...On A Free!
11th August 2031

We had three senior players leave the club this Summer at the end of their contracts. All three have played important roles for me, but are now only fringe player quality or coming toward the latter end of their careers, but all three have done enough for us to be worthy of a mention and a look back over their Fortuna careers.

3.1 avila.JPG

3.1 avila stats.JPG

3.1 beek.JPG

3.1 beek stats.JPG

3.1 pierini.JPG

3.1 pierini stats.JPG

Outgoing:
My first sale of the Summer is that of centre back, Will Fish. He has played 140 league games for me, so it's fair to say he will be remembered by myself and the fans, but again we have better players now and Getafe were willing to pay £17.5 million for him, which I personally thought was over the odds so was happy to take it.

3.2 fish.JPG

3.2 fish stats.JPG

Incoming: There is a direct replacement for Fish joining the club anyway. Mads Bech Sorensen joins us on a free transfer after his contract with Atletico comes to an end. I pre-arranged this deal back in January and am happy to bring such a high class player to the club who will add some solid experience to the back line.

3.3 sorensen.JPG

Incoming: Now it's time to announce the two deals I completed back in April as well, with the window opening they can finally join us. First of all is 19 year old Uruguayan, Ignacio Fernandez who comes in from Penarol for £3.6 million (all up front). It's a bargain deal for a player who is worth much more on his first day here and could develop further into a very, very good attacking player.

3.4 fernandez.JPG

Incoming: The better of the two 19 year old signings though is Ukrainian wonderkid, Vladimir Proshkin and this kid excites me. I met his minimum fee release clause of £13.25 million to sign him from Shakhtar and he was being pursued by other big European sides, so it's definitely a coup to get him! He's got great pace and acceleration, is a top finisher, great crosser and a brilliant dribbler of the ball. He's going to bring some serious flair to the attacking unit.

3.5 proshkin.JPG

Outgoing & Incoming: There was a change in the backup goalkeeper department this Summer too as Owen Goodman leaves for Dortmund after agreeing a pre contract deal to join them on a free. I replaced him with 33 year old Dutch keeper Maarten Paes who joins from Rennes for £3 million.

3.6 goodman.JPG

3.6 paas.JPG

Outgoing: Mehdi Bendaoud is a product of our youth academy but doesn't look all that to me, so when Napoli were prepared to pay £8.75 million to sign him, I was happy to let him go.

3.7 bendaoud.JPG

Outgoing: It was the same story for Marits Keizer who joins Kaiserslautern for £8 million.

3.8 keizer.JPG

Incoming: When an opportunity to sign an elite player comes along for a club like us, it doesn't matter how old they are, you just kind of have to take it. And that's exactly what we've done in signing 33 year old Christopher Nkunku on a free transfer after his release from Chelsea.

3.9 nkunku.JPG

Our pre season campaign this year has been good and included a successful tour of Switzerland which was capped off by an 8-0 win over St Gallen. But the most impressive victory of our friendly run was the last one over RB Leipzig.

3.10 pre season.JPG

After winning the domestic double last season, we would contest the Johan Cruijff Schaal against league runners up, Ajax. It was a game we dominated for the entirity of the game, but took us right up until the final 30 seconds of the match to eventually find the back of the net. Although we made hard work of it, we do kick our season off with a win and a trophy again.

3.11 ajax.JPG

As we look ahead to the start of the Eredivisie season, it is Ajax that are the favourites for the title, but we are a very close second now with odds of just 2/1. When I took over at the club we were a mid table side at best, with title odds of 150/1 so we have made incredible progress. We now have 7 players in the media dream 11 too, so it's clearly the best squad I've ever had at the club as I entre my 9th season in charge.

3.12 preview.JPG

We started the campaign with a display that backed up our position as one of the title favourites, by hammering newly promoted FC Eindhoven. Christopher Nkunku with a man of the match performance on his debut!

3.13 fc eindhoven.JPG

1713786519634.png

Chapter 68
Record Transfer Fee Broken
17th September 2031

Outgoing:
Franz Michiels is another player that has come through our youth academy. He has had some time on loan and now he is 20, it was time to evaluate whether he was good enough for our first team. I decided he wasn't and Willem II have signed him from us for £10.5 million (£7 million up front).

4.1 michiels.JPG

Incoming: With the Michiels deal completed, we had a healthy transfer budget and I decided to blow the lot on one player. Sebastian Martinez is a defensive midfielder with real quality and knows this league well after spending a season with Feyenoord back in 2028/29. He joins us from Porto for a fee of £29 million, with £20.5 million paid up front. It breaks the club's record transfer fee again - something I have done several times since arriving at the club.

4.2 martinez.JPG

Our first away day of the season resulted in victory at Heerenveen. The scoreline doesn't reflect our entire dominance though as our opponents didn't have a single shot in the whole game!

4.3 heerenveen.JPG

Our encounters with Ajax and Feyenoord have now become pivotal parts of the season and getting the better of them in these games is massive even if it is only the 3rd game of the season.

4.4 ajax.JPG

It's lucky the Nkunku has made such a positive start to his career with us as he is likely to be playing more than anticipated over the first couple of months of the season, as we lose Rasmus Henriksen to injury.

4.5 injury.JPG

The Champions League fixtures are announced and we have some tough games ahead of us against the likes of Bayern, Arsenal and Manchester United. On a positive note, if we are in the running to qualify with two games left, then we definitely have a chance of picking up wins against Anderlecht and Shakhtar.

4.6 champs fixtures.JPG

Outgoing Loan: With the incoming players this Summer, I have a surplus on the wing and something had to give. Daan Rots has been an excellent player for me over the last few years since joining from FC Twente, contributing with goals and assists consistently every season! However, he has fallen down the pecking order and is 30 years old now, so he has been allowed to join Molde on loan for the season. We will bag a monthly fee, they will pay all of his wages and they can sign him for an optional fee of £3.1 million during the loan spell.

4.7 rots.JPG

4.7 rots stats.JPG

Outgoing Loan: Another player leaving on loan for the season is ex captain of the club, Miguel Reisinho. He has recently complained of being home sick and I was always going to do the right thing by one of my favourite players of my career. Reisinho was one of my first signings at the club and he captained us to our first ever league title so will always have a special place in my heart! He now returns to Portugal to join Penafiel for the season and they can sign him for a fee of £1.1 million to make the deal permanent.

4.8 reisinh.JPG

4.8 reisinho stats.JPG

And with that the transfer window is closed. Here's the biggest deals of the Summer across Europe (above £20 million).

4.9 june.JPG

4.9 july.JPG

4.9 august.JPG

4.9 september.JPG

Before we ventured into the Champions League for the first time this season, we had three more Eredivisie games to play and we took care of our opponents with ease in all three of them. Good to see the goals being shared around the side, with 9 different scorers in these 3 wins.

4.10 3 games.JPG

Our first Champions League game would be against Nice and we had to be confident of kicking things off with a win after we beat them in the league phase last season.

4.11 last year nice.JPG

And we beat them again this year, by a more convincing scoreline. I had some fitness issues, so had to put 20 year old Jack Sanders (who came through our academy) on the bench...with 19 minutes to go, I introduced him into the game and he scored a debut goal for himself.

4.12 nice.JPG

Another four goals were then put past ADO Den Haag as we kept up our 100% record in the Eredivisie this year.

4.13 den haag.JPG

We are the only side to win all of our opening 7 games, which sees us top the table at this early stage. Feyenoord are our nearest pursuers as they also remain unbeaten.

4.14 league.JPG

Our first defeat did come at the hands of Bayern Munich in the Champions League and was probably expected, but we gave a good account of ourselves out in Germany and can take positives from this game.

4.15 bayern.JPG

1714299562433.png

Chapter 69
Some Big Injuries That Could Threaten Our Season
30th November 2031

Against FC Utrecht, we turned in a lacklustre 1st half performance and the scores were still level at the break. However, I made my feelings known at half time that I wanted to see better and the lads went out and delivered in the second 45!

5.1 utrecht.JPG

We were then hit by another injury as we lose Filippo Missori for a few months. The right back has had an excellent start to the season, so it's definitely a blow to lose him!

5.2 injury.JPG

It was back to back wins to nil against Venlo and Vitesse in the Eredivisie and that makes it ten wins from ten in the league so far this season!

5.3 venlo.JPG

5.3 ten wins.JPG

But it's not all good news as we lose yet another key player for months! Christopher Nkunku has proven to be more important than I thought he'd be, but he will now miss a significant part of the season!

5.4 injury.JPG

And with that, our 100% record in the league is also gone as we fail to put the ball in the back of the net against Zwolle.

5.5 zwolle.JPG

At least we got back to taking our chances against Monaco in a much needed victory in the Champions League.

5.6 monaco.JPG

We had kept 5 straight clean sheets in all competitions before meeting Cambuur in the Eredivisie, who did manage to put one past us courtesy of a massive deflection. However, we scored twice to ensure we still took the 3 points against one of the overachievers of the season so far.

5.7 cambuur.JPG

It was Fenerbahce at home for us next in the Champions League and it was a match I was seeing as a must win. The reason being that we would follow this game with two really tough fixtures against Man Utd and Arsenal from which it would be tough to take any points.

5.8 fenebahce next.JPG

We got the job done in convincing fashion. Rodiney has been a little in and out of form this season, so it was good to see him bag a hat trick here which hopefully he can now kick on from.

5.9 fenerbahce.JPG

Although we have a couple of tough games coming up, we have put ourselves in a nice position at the half way stage of the league phase.

5.10 champs league.JPG

We had a massive game in the Eredivisie against one of our main title rivals...or they're at least supposed to be although you wouldn't think it from the result! It's our biggest victory over Feyenoord in 9 seasons of me being here!

5.11 feyenoord.JPG

The expansion to the stadium has now been completed and we can boast a capacity of more than 36,500 now!

5.12 stadium expansion.JPG

Only Ajax and Feyenoord can fit more fans into their stadium than us in the country now!

5.13 stadiums.JPG

We've overtaken PSV in stadium size and it's fair to say that we are a bigger team than them now as well. We might not have as much of a rich history, but they have never really been challengers since I took over at Fortuna and I never really worry about taking them on these days. Their lack of threat was once again proven as we beat them again in the league.

5.14 psv.JPG

Possibly our most impressive win of the season came in our next game though as we travelled to Manchester in the Champions League and returned home with all 3 points. We had to ride some pressure at times, but defended well, took our chances when they came and record an excllent victory.

5.15 man utd.JPG

The Manchester United win did come at a cost though as I lose one of my best centre backs for the next month or so.

5.16 injury.JPG

But our position in the league phase of the competition is cemented in the top 8 and we look on course to qualify directly for the last 16 again, which would be a great achievement if we can do that for the second season in a row. Ajax are also having a decent Champions League campaign which can only be good for Dutch football.

5.17 champs leageu.JPG

Back in the Eredivisie, it was case of business as usual as we beat Go Ahead Eagles without any issues whatsoever.

5.18 go ahead.JPG

And that ensures we remain unbeaten after 15 games and retain a 3 point lead over Ajax who are trying their hardest to keep up with us this year, only losing once themselves (we do have a game in hand though).

5.19 league.JPG