Four Playmakers and a Target Man; How Newcastle won EPL/CL in Season 2

Reaction score
I recently completed a two season experiment with Newcastle United using a 4-5-1 base alignment almost exclusively set to Control and play down flanks on standard to large pitch. I rarely ever changed the this starting setting except for special moments in game.

The idea behind the tactic was to dictate play as best as possible with several playmakers on the pitch at once while creating chances from all angles of the pitch, and not just from one or two players in the center. I wanted a defined focal point for the killer balls, and not something like a Barcelona/Roma 4-6-0.

Touchline Shouts (Default)

Pass to Feet
Work Ball into Box
Clear Ball to Flanks

Team Roles (Season 2 players)

GK: Standard/Defend (Carlos Kameni)
CBL: Central Defender/Defend (Mirel Radoi/Gary Cahill)
CBR: Central Defender/Defend (Gary Cahill/Steven Taylor)
RB: Fullback/Support-Attack (Gabriel Silva)
LB: Fullback/Support-Attack (Jose Enrique)
DM: Defensive Midfielder/Defend or Anchor (Jan Vertonghen)
CML: Advanced Playmaker/Attack (Keisuke Honda)
CMR: Advanced Playmaker/Support or Ball Winning/Support (Kevin Nolan, Alan Smith)
AML: Advanced Playmaker/Attack (Christian Eriksen, Lucas)
AMR: Winger/Attack or Advanced Playmaker/Attack (Hatem Ben Arfa, Eriksen)
ST: Target Man/Attack-Support (Romelu Lukaku)

Notes

I set AML-AMR to cut inside against 1 or fewer DMs to draw defenders and would often have easy through balls to TM 1 v 1 with opposing keeper. The fullbacks would often try to follow AMs inside and leave a gaping channel. I wanted 4 playmakers on the pitch to keep the attacks from becoming static and predictable, and so TM always had a supply line. "Plays with back to goal" is the only preferred move I had set for Lukaku at this time. All four attacking midfielders, and the two fullbacks, were instructed to look for killer ball. I've found this tactic is just as effective with counter attack moves (without setting the strategy specifically) as it is in creating intricate play. I don't necessarily need to boss play in order to have goal chances. CML was most often set as playmaker, but sometimes I set AML-AMR depending on match-up.

Stats

Eriksen led the league in assists from AML position primarily. Lucas earned League POY with highest match rating (7.88). Lukaku ended Season 2 with 40 goals and 8 assists at 18 years old (47 matches played, 41 started).

Despite playing with four playmakers most of the time, I finished tied for fewest goals allowed in the league (19 in 38 games). None of the playmakers were allowed to be bystanders without the ball.

Accomplishments

Season 1- FA Cup winners, 3rd placed EPL; Season 2- League Cup winners, 1st place EPL, Champions League winners

- Watch this space as I upload the tactic. I wanted to go ahead and upload this after Season 2 because my roster is going to be just stupidly stacked by Season 3.

Base Tactics here:

View attachment 176782

Last edited:
Seems interesting but can you put some screenies and match against big teams and the amount of CCC /matches?

what type of yteam talks did you used ? andy links for the tactic ?

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 AM ----------

Hey, any links for the tactics? Also what where your transfers in season 1? Thanks

Hey, any links for the tactics? Also what where your transfers in season 1? Thanks

Sorry for the delay. I will have the tactics loaded within next 6 hrs.

All of the players listed above were Season 1 transfers except Vertonghen, Radoi and Honda. I got Eriksen on loan in Season 1 because Ajax wouldn't agree a transfer price. I got him before Season 2 for half of what they were asking for originally in Season 1 (go figure). Happens a lot with youngsters in FM11. I dumped all the big contracts I could in Season 1 (Barton, Jonas).

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

I hired a man managing, motivational AssMan. Sometimes, I switched the instructions based on this forum's Team Talk Guide (Wolfsong).

My AssMan would always say "Pleased" when I was up on the road, but I would change that to something like Encourage/Don't Let Performance Drop because the home team always comes out motivated when losing at half. That helped solve my problem of getting draws when I should be winning. Had several draws in Year 1 against the big teams because I'd concede late under pressure.

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

Base tactic uploaded to OP. Working on screens.

Last edited:
kluivert boots what about

pitch size ?
is it a plug and play tactic ?
opp instructions ?
any shouts ?
match preparation ?

kluivert boots what about

pitch size ?
is it a plug and play tactic ?
opp instructions ?
any shouts ?
match preparation ?

The default shouts are listed in the OP. Pitch size is normal to largest possible. Space is important. I leave OI to AssMan unless specific tweaks are needed (IE, opponent looking dangerous). I rarely ever deviate from control as the overall strategy unless I'm holding a one goal advantage late on against a powerful opponent. It is plug-and-play provided you have the talent to fill each role.

Match preparation is Team Blend in the first month or two of the season, and I switch to Attacking Movement afterwards.

The tactic itself is pretty straightforward. The main unique thing about it, compared to other 4-5-1/4-3-3 tactics, is the role of the wide players as playmakers rather than inside forwards or pure wingers.

Hatem Ben Arfa, for example, can be cast as a winger but he's actually a Trequartista by trade. I took a "wolf in sheep's clothing" idea for the wide players. It is the same with the other players I bought for AML-AMR positions like Eriksen and Lucas (both trequartistas in terms of skill).

Last edited:
I'm very new to tactic meddling, but when you set your AMs to cut inside, do you give any consideration to player ratings? Would certain ratings help a player be more successful in a given tactic than others? I'm always concerned about being crazy w/ tactics and not having the guys that are best fit for it..

I'm very new to tactic meddling, but when you set your AMs to cut inside, do you give any consideration to player ratings? Would certain ratings help a player be more successful in a given tactic than others? I'm always concerned about being crazy w/ tactics and not having the guys that are best fit for it..

For the AM roles, I look for two-footed players with good dribbling, anticipation and decision skills in general. When cutting inside, they can run into traffic and they need to be able to pick out a pass rather than lose the ball. This is why I choose players with trequartista skills. They have the skills to avoid defenders like a winger or inside forward would, but they give the added advantage of the killer ball and unpredictability shape wise. The 4-5-1 look, fairly cookie cutter by design, becomes more unpredictable as a result.