From Champions Cup winners to bottom half table losers

Tangalife

Reaction score
Currently in my 4th season as Newcastle. Previous seasons came 2nd, 3rd, 2nd and won the Champions Cup in the last.

However now all of a sudden were 12 games into the season and im 14th, currently lost 6 of the last 7 games. Getting absolutely trounced by the likes of Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal.

I have no idea why all of a sudden were doing so bad?

Low morale, no team cohesion (if you sold/bought a lot of new players), the other teams have bought better players and you haven't, your team is just in poor form, etc. Lots of reasons you might be doing worse.

Arrange some friendlies vs lower league teams so you win and you can get your strikers scoring and bring morale up. (even if in middle of season) Also have a team meeting, private chat with players, etc.

Morale going into season was good. We've hit low morale before and bounced back. Only a couple of players bought in, did sell 3 first teamers though. My first 11 is practically unchanged from last season and is easy a top 5 squad in the league, probably the least active transfer window i'd been in. Team meeting's dont do much. It just seems so scripted, i've even tried saving and reloading, just the same result everytime...

The only thing I can point to is my tactics, which I know teams get used to but in no prev version of FM have I ever had to drastically change tactics only just rotate a couple through ea season.

I refuse to believe that the AI 'learns' your tactic because that would be stupid. IRL, top managers have used the same tactics over and over again and they don't just suddenly start failing because people know about them. I had a PSG save that I played up to 2020 before I got bored and I used the exact same tactic the entire time and dominated every single season, not once did I have a massive drop in form.

A better theory that I've read about is that the teams are reacting to your increase in reputation. In the past, the top teams didn't see you as a major threat so maybe they would have used a very attacking style against you and you were able to punish them for that, maybe by hitting them on the counter. Now that you've finished near the top of the table for several years in a row, these teams are starting to respect you more and so will play more cautiously and rather than being on the receiving end of a counter attack, they are the ones doing it to you.

My guess would be that there's a flaw in your tactic. It works great against weaker teams or ones that play very offensively but maybe it has a hard time dealing with top teams who aim to hit you on the counter. To fix this, you would need to look into what kind of play is causing you trouble. How are you conceding goals? Long balls over your defenders heads? Crosses into the box?

Cheers. Yes im using the Jurgen Klopp tactic, which concedes alot (I did my past two seasons as well, but always scored the goals to win). Maybe its just not working now.